Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java programming courses/grinds

Options
  • 08-05-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good Java programming courses or anyone who does grinds in it over the summer months? Im doing a degree in computing at the moment and the only subject holding me back is programming! I can see the course stepping up a gear big time in September so really want to have a better grasp of Java when i start back next sememster!

I live in North Co. Dublin, anyone with any ideas or knows of anyone looking to make some cash that can help me out let me know!
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

There was a crowd on the Carlow IT board that started a YouTube channel this college year to go in parallel with what they learned in their Java course (Can't remember the link offhand). Maybe have a look through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

There's a guy in America that does loads of programming tutorials including java and many others. I have watched his tutorials and they are the best I have seen on the internet.

I started learning python from his videos when I was 15 and I am now learning php from his videos. They are brilliant.

His website is here http://www.thenewboston.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Yeah i used alot of his tutorials to help me with my collge project this semester! I honestly need someone to spell **** out from the very start again for me though! Im talking, declaring variables, get & set methods basically everything from ground level up! I mean dont get me wrong i have a basic understanding of Java but id like to be confident in it going into 2nd yr! And im far from confident! Ive an exam in programming in the morning so im hoping for the best but we'll see what happens1 Nothing i can do now ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 greenhouse1234

Hi SpaceCow

I m in kinda similar situtation.
    I m also doin degree in computing not feel confi with java, 2nd year, looking for java training in summer.

would you be interested in online course.

I was inquiring online courses from India such as:

http://www.srihithatechnologies.com/
    http://www.deccansoft.com/

there are plenty of others too. I inquired from few, average cost they told me is around 200-300 euros.
    whereas here in RIP of Republic is around 1000+ euros for java course.

I think doing at same time we can share the costs.

Pm me if you interested.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 33 slap

I was in a similar situation when I finished 1st year a number of years ago. I couldn't get my head around Java and programming in general.

In the summer between 1st and 2nd year, I read the book "Head First Java". When I started 2nd year I knew way more than any of my fellow classmates.

Just my two cents, based on experience :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

slap wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation when I finished 1st year a number of years ago. I couldn't get my head around Java and programming in general.

In the summer between 1st and 2nd year, I read the book "Head First Java". When I started 2nd year I knew way more than any of my fellow classmates.

Just my two cents, based on experience :)

Good advice - I did the same thing in between semesters and it worked out for me; start right at the beginning and work through every problem/solution coding as you go - it's the only way to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

the stanford Programming Methodology lectures are pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=84A56BC7F4A1F852

the assignments and course info links are in the description

Java for beginners with eclipse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Good advice - I did the same thing in between semesters and it worked out for me; start right at the beginning and work through every problem/solution coding as you go - it's the only way to learn.

+1 for Head first java

Advertisement