Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submit Meter reading using Android App

Options
  • 08-05-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has successfully submitted a meter reading from their Android phone. I've got a HTC Desire and I always get errors "Unable to connect to ESB network". Tried submitting over phone and home wireless networks but no joy. Just uninstalled app as it's been a waste of time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi a_ominous,

I'm sorry that you have been experiencing difficulties with the app. This has been tested now and it worked on the phone used - may I suggest downloading it again, and you will then automatically have the most up-to-date version? If you agree to do this, let us know at your convenience how you get on once you have enabled a 3G or WiFi connection and submitted the reading again.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Just following up on my previous post - I have re-installed and re-submitted meter readings. No error messages reported, so hopefully the bills will reflect this.
    Used wifi in Dublin and 3G network in Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again a_ominous,

That's good that there was no error message - thanks for letting us know.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

any chance of a symbian app for the nokia n8 or a generic java app for all java supported phones

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

any chance of a symbian app for the nokia n8 or a generic java app for all java supported phones

Would like to see this too. It could be done quite easily also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Davy wrote: »
    Would like to see this too. It could be done quite easily also

Hi guys,

Thanks for this - I've passed on your comments to our App team as they are always planning future developments.

All the best,

David.

Hi guys,

There is a lot of uncertainty over the future of the Symbian OS - see the following article from wired.com, for example:

- Nokia Kills Symbian, Teams Up With Microsoft Windows 7

For the time being there is no plan for a Symbian-based app unfortunately, but we'll be keeping a close eye on these kinds of developments and will look to enhance our customer offering accordingly.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Hi guys,

There is a lot of uncertainty over the future of the Symbian OS - see the following article from wired.com, for example:

- Nokia Kills Symbian, Teams Up With Microsoft Windows 7

For the time being there is no plan for a Symbian-based app unfortunately, but we'll be keeping a close eye on these kinds of developments and will look to enhance our customer offering accordingly.

Thanks,

David.

Nokia will support Symbian till atleast 2016,
    http://mobi.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/21970/digital-life/nokia-to-release-windows-phone-devices-every-three-months/

Also a most phones can use Java so this may also be an option or a mobile webportal where we can log in with a pin and enter details this would cover every phone? and be very simple to do?

Hi Kenny,

Thanks again for the feedback; I'll forward it on directly to the App team.

In the meantime (and if you haven't tried this already), would it be an idea to set up this link as a shortcut on your smartphone? It brings you straight to our customer log-in page.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Hi,
    Was searching for an email link for the App support team -probably just as well I could not find it !! - the latest version (1.4) with the re branding over wrote all accounts I had set up in the app when it installed - I had 8 accounts in there and all are now gone and as meter number is a mandatory field I will have to revisit the meters' in order to get that number !!

• Advertisement

Hi TMC99,

Our apologies for the inconvenience; this should not have happened. Can you PM me the details you do have so I can get the meter numbers for you?

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This is a nice bonus to know you have this app now that I have switched :D

TMC99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Was searching for an email link for the App support team -probably just as well I could not find it !! - the latest version (1.4) with the re branding over wrote all accounts I had set up in the app when it installed - I had 8 accounts in there and all are now gone and as meter number is a mandatory field I will have to revisit the meters' in order to get that number !!

I had same problem after update. Not as many properties but still a PITA to get info and re-enter. The only thing saved was the password. _Every_ other Android app I have used can save the user data between updates.

a_ominous wrote:
    I had same problem after update. Not as many properties but still a PITA to get info and re-enter. The only thing saved was the password. _Every_ other Android app I have used can save the user data between updates.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused; our App team are working to resolve this. If you need me to look up any details for you (i.e. meter numbers etc) please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,

David.

Just as an FYI, the bug that led to the deletion of users' previously saved data has now been fixed, so anyone downloading the updated version of the Android Meter Reading App will not encounter this issue.

To those customers who lost their data, again, we apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

David.

HI David
    I tried submitting readings again in the past week and have had no joy. App is a nice idea but poorly executed. Uninstalled.

Hi a_ominous,

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you know if readings were due to be taken, or whether a bill had recently issued? These factors would affect whether or not the readings were accepted by the system (the same goes for when they are phoned in, or submitted online).

If you would like me to look into this further for you, please feel free to PM me your details.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

just some feedback for the android app.

i submitted a meter reading on the 6th of september,
    i received my latest bill on the 8th of september, with the reading i had just submitted. Brilliant.

also, would it be possible to communicate with the app builders that it would be nice to see the previous readings taken.
    also would it be possible to communicate to the app builders that it would be nice to have the current rates and the date of the next rate rises on a app.

also a question, can you advise on the date that the new rates come into play, and if i submit a meter reading the day before, that it will be used for my next bill.
    and will be split old rate + new rate .

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Hi rameire,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions; they have been forwarded on to the app builders and will be taken into consideration for future updates/releases.
    rameire wrote:
    can you advise on the date that the new rates come into play

October 1st (more details here).
    rameire wrote:
    if i submit a meter reading the day before, that it will be used for my next bill.
    and will be split old rate + new rate .

You might want to submit it a couple of days before, to ensure it's in on time. And the next bill after that which includes the price increase will be split between the old and new rates.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement