Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Fastfood/take-away restaurants

Options
  • 08-05-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm doing a bit of research at the moment and I'm looking for a list of fast food restaurants in the USA that are not currently in Ireland. And what you thought of them?

For example: Wendy's
    http://www.wendys.com/food/Family.jsp?family=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Taco Bell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

In-n-out
    ok edit- should have said more but if you are around the west coast definitely worth checking out-good burgers. 1st choice on road trips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

whitecastle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Please note that the OP has also asked for your opinion on these chains. I'll be removing any further replies that just give a name. Otherwise the OP could have done a quick Google for a list of fast food chains & crossed out those not operating in Ireland.

Thanks,

HB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Carl's Jr. Fantastic burgers, and they used (may still) have a great BOGOF offer during the day.

Chillis - don't know if it counts as "fast-food" but you could order to take away... Average food, probably overpriced for what it is. Nice mashed potatoes though!

Sbarro's - grand for a slice of pizza if there's nothing else on offer, but very run-of-the-mill.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A and W, they do a mean burger plus root beer.

Dairy Queen, love there ice cream blizzards.

Arby's, great sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Five guys (mainly on the East Coast I think?) - burgers are good but greasy, great selection of extras for the burgers too (jalepenos etc)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Faith wrote: »
    Sbarro's - grand for a slice of pizza if there's nothing else on offer, but very run-of-the-mill.
    They've one outlet here now in the Jervis Street Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Arby's, great sandwiches.

Found Arby's to be quite ordinary.

Love Wendy's burgers!

Panda Express is pretty good too, fast chinese food

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

In-n-out burger. Its excellent quality, best take-away burgers i've ever had. Mostly in California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, In-N-Out is definitely one worth checking out. Really tasty burgers and their fries are freshly peeled and cut.

Carl's Jr. is pretty good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dennys. Love breakfast at Dennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Wendy's bugers are savage.

Ray's Pizza is good enough for a quick slice in a hurry. A little greasy akin to most fast food in New York.

Sbarro's pizza is terrible IMO.

Chilli's was really good also, but I had that in Egypt if that counts.

The best fast food I had in the U.S. were not in chains. E.g. Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Wendy's burgers are amaaaaaaazing.

Chick-fil-A tries to be a bit more unique their menu/advertising. The food is really nice, especially the milkshakes. Their tv commercials are fab.

Krystal is horrible, sort of hangover food. Like the Taco Bell of the burger world.

Sonic wouldn't be my first choice either but they do a great selection of slushpuppy-like drinks that make up for the mediocre food.

Hardee's (same as Carl's Jr just a diff name) have the second best burgers to Wendy's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Another vote for In-N-Out. Definitely the best chain in the US but they wont expand beyond nevada/utah area coz of logistics of using fresh beef from California.
    Five Guys is hit an miss, had a great one in Miami and a terrible one in Orlando.
    Wendy's is pretty good.
    Fuddruckers is ****e and expensive.
    Carl's Jnr is good and cheap but tastes remarkably like Burger King.
    Everyone will hate this but i also like Jack in the Box.
    Pinks Hot dogs are great but not too many of them.
    Popeye's is better than KFC
    Dont like white castle
    Smashburger is good.
    Too many to mention really

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a wendys years ago, mid to late 80's or early 90's in dun laoghaire, where elverys is now. Not sure if there are still any about. I liked it, it was all wood furnishings inside. The McDonalds in bray town hall reminds me of it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Nathan's hotdogs are pretty good too. They do a savage cheese sauce on the chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In and Out is great.
    Really simple menu, burgers and fries.

There is also the secret menu, items that they sell that they don't advertise on the wall. They admit it exists on the webiste

Protein style - no buns on the burger,
    Animal style, extra pickles, sauce etc,
    Various fry variations, cheese fries, animal fries, well done fries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a wendys years ago, mid to late 80's or early 90's in dun laoghaire, where elverys is now.

Never knew that until now. Be great if someone bought the franchise and opened one in Dublin again.

Also forgot to mention Shake Shack as a great fast food restaurant, excellent burgers. I understand another milkshake place is opning in dublin called shake shack but it is not part of the chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There was a wendys years ago, mid to late 80's or early 90's in dun laoghaire, where elverys is now. Not sure if there are still any about. I liked it, it was all wood furnishings inside. The McDonalds in bray town hall reminds me of it a bit.

Also one in a petrol station on the way to Newbridge... and one in Ballyfermot/Cherry Orchard in a Statoil too yummers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

January wrote: »
    Also one in a petrol station on the way to Newbridge... and one in Ballyfermot/Cherry Orchard in a Statoil too yummers...
    That might be where I have seen one, in petrol stations, I have seen a Wimpy in either 1 or 2 petrol stations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That might be where I have seen one, in petrol stations, I have seen a Wimpy in either 1 or 2 petrol stations too.

Whoops :o it was Wimpy! Not Wendys!! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Roy Rogers is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Ray's Pizza is good enough for a quick slice in a hurry. A little greasy akin to most fast food in New York.

Theres a Rays Pizza place beside the Foggy Dew in dublin, wonder if its the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Pats in philadelphia, unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

And in Nth Earl St i worked in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There was also one in North Earl Street opposite the side entrance to Clerys around 25 years ago. Best burgers in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

BurgerMeister in Bay Area, Cali..................http://www.burgermeistersf.com/

The best takeaway burgers I have tasted. Char broiled to perfection. You can even get a beer in there too.

You can close the thread now...............

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

IHOP - pancake's are their speciality but they serve a full diner style menu. More of a family style restaurant with breakfast as the primary focus then pure fast food reasonable quality but their maple syrups are fake.

Friendly's - the tag line says it all "Where Ice Cream makes the meal" again a cross between family style and fast food. Pretty traditional diner style menu, decent quality with great dessert options. Plenty of customers come for dessert only, favourite teen date venue.

BTW (sorry if slightly OT) Mellor the major differentiator of an Animal style In and Out Burger is the onions are fried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SBWife wrote: »
    BTW (sorry if slightly OT) Mellor the major differentiator of an Animal style In and Out Burger is the onions are fried.

Pretty sure that isn't it. You can have the option of fried or raw onions on burgers anyway (unless they are just accomadating). But either way, I got my fries animal style, its more than just onions. Was a sauce on them.
    I think the full menu is on their website

edit: they have some on the website
    Animal style is a "mustard cooked patty, pickles, extra spread, grilled onions"

I imagine the sauce is the extra spread.

wikipedia lists a few extra that don't appear on the website
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger_products#Secret_menu_variations

Here are the animal fires,really don't know if I'd eat these now. But protein style burgers for the win
    In-N-Out_Burger_products#Secret_menu_variations

Advertisement