Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Poetry 2011 Predictions

• 08-05-2011 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

It's getting close to the date so I'm deciding to cut a few poets out of my life and study routine!!
    What poets should I study for the LC and who is most likely to come up in June?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Study Boland, Dickinson and Rich and you'll be grand. The feminists would raise a media shítstorm if a woman poet didn't come up on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

RMD wrote: »
    Study Boland, Dickinson and Rich and you'll be grand. The feminists would raise a media shítstorm if a woman poet didn't come up on the course.

Your view is more sexist and misogynistic than the SEC leaving out the female poets entirely - you're reducing the female poets on the course to mere tokens. No self-respecting and reasonable, true feminist would argue against 3 female poets out of 9 total poets (i think?), not coming up. Would the Irish call the SEC racist and discriminatory if an Irish poet didn't come up? I would hope not.

Oh, and there's no hard and fast rule about there having to be a female poet every year. None whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

you have got to admit though that nearly every year there is at least one female poet asked every year..

your best bet is to study four
    e.g. Boland, dickinson, wordsworth, yeats

that covers 2 of each and a wide variety of diff poetic techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

you have got to admit though that nearly every year there is at least one female poet asked every year..

GV_NRG wrote: »

Even when the poets are selected randomly, there's still going to be one female poet. It's basic probability. 3 female poets, 6 male poets. 4 poets come up. 2 male poets will come up for every 1 female poet. Probability tells us that at least one female poet will come up, possibly 2, and not 3. I understand that poets aren't picked randomly though....

Still, this isn't first-wave feminism. We're long past that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

Well last year, three out of the eight on our course came up- Yeats, Kavanagh and Rich. Unless I'm mistaken, so far a poet has never come up two years in a row. Of course that's not to say it won't ever happen but it's relatively unlikely. If we're going by that assumption, that leaves five- Boland, Dickinson, Wordsworth, Hopkins and Frost.
    Boland and Dickinson could be grouped together in that they're female poets and from roughly the same time period. Wordsworth and Hopkins in another group as they are from a similar time period also. Frost is in a group on his own then.
    So I'm concentrating on Frost (it also helps that he's my favourite poet :)) and Dickinson, with a less detailed look over Boland and either Wordsworth or Hopkins, to be on the safe side.

Well last year, three out of the eight on our course came up- Yeats, Kavanagh and Rich. Unless I'm mistaken, so far a poet has never come up two years in a row. Of course that's not to say it won't ever happen but it's relatively unlikely. If we're going by that assumption, that leaves five- Boland, Dickinson, Wordsworth, Hopkins and Frost.
    Boland and Dickinson could be grouped together in that they're female poets and from roughly the same time period. Wordsworth and Hopkins in another group as they are from a similar time period also. Frost is in a group on his own then.
    So I'm concentrating on Frost (it also helps that he's my favourite poet :)) and Dickinson, with a less detailed look over Boland and either Wordsworth or Hopkins, to be on the safe side.

Frost was closer in age to Dickinson and Hopkins though. If we're grouping poets together, I would say that Dickinson and Hopkins are the more 'technical' and groundbreaking, revolutionary (difficult) poets, Boland and Frost are the more straightforward and traditional poets with accessible language and vernacular, and Wordsworth is straight up Romantic and sprawling, unlike anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

aranciata wrote: »
    Your view is more sexist and misogynistic than the SEC leaving out the female poets entirely - you're reducing the female poets on the course to mere tokens. No self-respecting and reasonable, true feminist would argue against 3 female poets out of 9 total poets (i think?), not coming up. Would the Irish call the SEC racist and discriminatory if an Irish poet didn't come up? I would hope not.

Oh, and there's no hard and fast rule about there having to be a female poet every year. None whatsoever.

Take whatever view you want. Study those 3 and I'll be willing to put any amount of money on it that at least 1 woman poet comes up. They're not "tokens", they're decent poets who deserve to be there but 1 will definitely be put on the course so the SEC doesn't have to face "sexism" allegations for most of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Do you think it would be safe if I were to just do Dickinson, boland and hopkins ? Dont have much time to learn the rest!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

I'm studying Dickinson, Boland and Wordsworth... In that order. I really have no interest in Wordsworth. Although he has pretty alright poetry, he doesn't really use many notable stylistic features which makes my essays on him a bit empty.

Dickinson on the other hand is great. You could talk for hours about her poetry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

No one should go into the test without 5 poets covered. I know there is alot in 5 poets but you could go in with 2 poets and see none you know. Everyone says Boland will come up but who knows what will really come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

how are you guys studying for poetry ?? do you just learn a personal response to every poet or :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Boland, Dickinson and Frost is who I'll be studying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm studying Wordsworth, Boland and Yeats. I really don't think Kavanagh and Rich will be up again. However, if Boland does come, the question will probably be difficult, and most of the country will answer on her, rendering the standard really high. I wouldn't be surprised if Boland-mania kicked in again in the next few weeks.
    Wordsworth is my best bet. He hasn't been up for ages, and he's lovely to write about. Plus, I can't imagine too many people answering a question on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ApeLove

how are you guys studying for poetry ?? do you just learn a personal response to every poet or :confused:

A personal response is a good jump-off point for learning about the poets but the questions are getting more specific year by year...there's not a chance that a simple personal response or similar will come up in the exam.
    Read notes in your book, look up poetry essays online and jot down any points which you think are interesting and relevant, learn themes and a little bit about the language of the poet (e.g. If it's close to conversational language or if they use interesting techniques).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nicmc

Unless I'm mistaken, so far a poet has never come up two years in a row.

Poets are repeated, so I wouldn't rule Kavanagh, Yeats or Rich out.

Advertisement