Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help with dongle wifi signal strength

Options
  • 08-05-2011 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

I have a Hauwei E585 wifi dongle, and have just recently worked out how to stream my own media stored on my PC wirelessly to an Android.

My problem is this. I generally get good/excellent signal strength when just using my PC, but since doing the above streaming (where I have to have my PC and Android connected) I find that I keep losing the signal strength on at least one, sometimes both of the devices which makes viewing a bind, as I can be in the middle of watching something streaming from my Pc to Android and it will just lose connection, and Im left starring at a blank screen.

Does anyone know of a product I can buy to improve strength on my Hauwei E585. I cant see any way of connecting an antenna booster to this wifi dongle, unless it connects to the usb port. Ive tried moving it around the house, having it in windows etc, but still no joy. Now Ive finally found out how to stream my media, Im keen to get a good enough signal to achieve stress free viewing without being cut off ever 20minutes or so.

Any suggestions that may help would be grately appreciated. Maybe if there is such a thing, you can point me in the right direction of an antenna booster that will work with my particular model.

Incidentally this is my only means of internet connection.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Do you have a wifi router? Am gonna guess yes. If so note that the signal does NOT go from PC to phone. It does PC <-> router <-> phone. Some of those wifi dongles are apalling I find.... Ones with external antennae are best.

You can get wifi range extenders, which will repeat your wifi base station signal, good for improving reception in parts of the house with weak signal.

First thing to try would be to relocate your wifi router to a central location in the house (not too far from either wifi client). Note that walls etc will impede the signal, and the signal also bounces around the place. Thus you can get good spots and bad spots. Also note that if other people are using the wifi at same time it will impede your bandwidth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Esha77

srsly78 wrote: »
    Do you have a wifi router? Am gonna guess yes. If so note that the signal does NOT go from PC to phone. It does PC <-> router <-> phone. Some of those wifi dongles are apalling I find.... Ones with external antennae are best.

You can get wifi range extenders, which will repeat your wifi base station signal, good for improving reception in parts of the house with weak signal.

First thing to try would be to relocate your wifi router to a central location in the house (not too far from either wifi client). Note that walls etc will impede the signal, and the signal also bounces around the place. Thus you can get good spots and bad spots. Also note that if other people are using the wifi at same time it will impede your bandwidth.

Hi There,

Thanks for feed back. The Wifi dongle I have is the type that you dont connect up to anything else, and cant be plugged into anything else like an antenna, etc. The only connection is a mini usb port which is used to charge the dongle via usb cable which connects to PC. It can detect up to 5 wifi devices within range. Like I say works fine when Im just using it with my PC but as soon as I bring a 2nd device into the mix, the connection keeps going down.

So no router to speak of, not unless a wireless wifi dongle is referred to as a rounter? (sorry, dont know much about these things) Just wondering based on this would the suggested wifi range extender be of any use to me?

Thanks for your trouble

Kind Regards
    Esha77

Advertisement