Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Topic Help!!!

• 08-05-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

So I have to come up with something to do my special topic on.
    I want to do it on something from Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt or Alexander the Great orientated but they're too broad and I honestly have no idea what sort of aspects I could do on them. My teacher says it has to be narrow as possible to make it easy to write about.
    It would be much appreciated if I could get some examples of titles for it. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Pick a temple on the acropolis and talk about that maybe,

The Delian league and how it caused the Peloponnesian(spelling?) war

A specific battle perhaps?

If you pick romans Catos death is interesting, fall of Pompey the great too.

Roman empire is good because you can pick certain battles and you have good sources too. One of Julius Caesar battles would be good because he has writings of his own that you can use...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

The Battle of Marathon or The Battle of Thermopylae are intersting aspects of Ancient Greek History and would be relatively easy to write about imo. Or maybe the plague of Athens during the Pelopnnesian War. There's countless things you could write about.

Regading Alexander how about the battle of the Persian Gate or the Battle of Issus. Again, there's countless possibilites. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Lukeyy

Thank you very much. If I was to do a battle, how exactly would I go about it though. My history teacher says you have to write about its effect on history and I don't know exactly what how I'd go about doing that. Like would I just explain what happened during the battle and then write about its effect on history? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

So many things i would have loved to do, i don't have a suggestion but for anyone else looking for it would be Unity Mitford or the Mitford sisters.

I love reading up on WW2 and every time i do i find something new. So much so it's keeping me from doing maths questions at the moment.

I did mine on The Role of the Kennedy Brothers in the American Civil Rights Movement 1955-64. Make sure it's as narrow as possible. I could have narrowed mine to 60-64 but it was just too good to leave a lot of it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harpofrosty

problem with dong something so far back is that it could be hard to distinguish the actual facts and the stories that have been told through out the ages!

Then again you could always do that! compare how much of what people believe to be true about Alexander the great to what is actually true! i just submitted mine and i went through about 5 topics because i was picking what i thought would be good topics! you need to pick something you are interested in or else the research will be a real pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Lukeyy wrote: »
    So I have to come up with something to do my special topic on.
    I want to do it on something from Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt or Alexander the Great orientated but they're too broad and I honestly have no idea what sort of aspects I could do on them. My teacher says it has to be narrow as possible to make it easy to write about.
    It would be much appreciated if I could get some examples of titles for it. :)

Just running through some ideas about Ancient Greece from a military perspective: dominance of Spartans as fighters, the influence of the Hoplite are examples. If you look into Spartans at Thermopylae for example you can see how this was an example of a small scale highly focused action against a body of massive troops. You can relate this to modern day special forces - Delta force, Navy SEALs etc. and how their forces are small but the best of the best. A little far out I'm guessing.

With regards to Alexander the Great, you can assess him versus other great leaders in history: Caesar, Patton, and so on. Or discuss how his tactics have influenced today: well disciplined soldiers, who are paid, with rapid shock warfare tactics. How the cavalry of then, is today's main battle tanks. Again, I'm just jotting down ideas.
    problem with dong something so far back is that it could be hard to distinguish the actual facts and the stories that have been told through out the ages!

Arrians Anabasis today is taken as the standard bible for Alexander the Great. Plutarch, Justinian and Diodorus are all acceptable works too but each with their own qualities and failings.
    Lukeyy wrote: »
    Thank you very much. If I was to do a battle, how exactly would I go about it though. My history teacher says you have to write about its effect on history and I don't know exactly what how I'd go about doing that. Like would I just explain what happened during the battle and then write about its effect on history? :confused:

Yes, kind of. Like, Thermopylae saw the Persian army blunted and defeated. It put off the Persian invasions for another while. It displayed the dominance of Greek forces. Showed the ineptitude of Persians etc.
    Alexander's campaign paved the way for what we have as democracy today. These are all relevant facts and influences for today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Focussed and local is always a winner in the Research project.

Advertisement