Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i ....... ?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

the wind has just broken a tree which was planted by the council outside my house.

the trunk is about 40- 50 mm in diameter and is still partially intact.

is it possible to splice this back in place or is the tree a gonner?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Martron wrote: »
    the wind has just broken a tree which was planted by the council outside my house.

the trunk is about 40- 50 mm in diameter and is still partially intact.

is it possible to splice this back in place or is the tree a gonner?

thanks

This tree may yet resprout at or below the breaking point, I would assume the broken piece is quite large.. if more than 6 inches I would assume that it would not reconnect easily if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Depends on the type of tree...

Many varities of trees are grafted onto a vigorous rootstock. If the tree breaks above the original graft the rootstock may resprout but will grow in a different form to the tree varity that was grafted. At the trunk diameter mentioned it is unlikley that the tree will be able to regrow.

With the high winds today I had to resort to some serious belt and braces support for some young trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats a pity.

is there anything i could try to give it a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

this has happened in my garden in the past, i would cut back below the break and give it a good feeding, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well, the estates grass was cut today and there is a saw cut in the tree and the top of the tree is now gone. so i would imagaine the guy cutting the grass sorted it out.

can you recommend a feed that will help it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement