Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping neighbours

Options
  • 08-05-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Right behind our house is a field that is subject to the current collapse of the building industry. This field has a 6 foot boundry wall to keep people out, of their own safety. But my lovely neighbours have decided that this is now the local personal dump. I was checking the capping on my back wall, moved from kids climbing into and out of this site, and I was overpowered by the smell coming from it. There is large amounts of grass cuttings, bushes, shrubs, black sack with I think rubbish, wooden floors, lawnmowers amount other crap. I have also seen rats in the site and my back garden, not great when you have 3 small kids...We have also had some rubbish thrown into our garden

I have email the county council, but I am not expecting them to do anything as I have reported same neighbours for tapping into the water mains during the freeze so they could clean their cars. Any idea what else could be done? I will be passing the attached photos to the residents ass. so they can also do nothing.

My main worries are the rats and 3 kids and a dog and with the summer coming in, the smell coming into our house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

That's illegal dumping, is it not?

Have you contacted the county council? Or environmental health? If not, maybe you should, they can hopefully intervene and take action against those who are dumping illegally.

Here is a link to Westmeath County Council's website where you should information about reporting illegal dumping.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/

Here is a link about illegal dumping with a phone number to report it.

http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/enforce/report/illegaldumping/

Also, it might be an idea to remove those photos because the people who are dumping illegally see the photos they may be able to identify you and it could cause trouble for you, depending on the type of people they are, they could make life a living hell for you/your family and maybe even put you/your family/pets safety at risk.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

TBH, they will know it is me anyway. The dumping is nearest my house, the house next door is rented and the next one is the far side of the green. The people that are dumping wouldn't be the kind to cause damage to our house cars or the dog. I have e-mailed Westmeath Coco and will wait to see what happens, if I get no joy there I will get onto the EPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

The telephone is still stronger than an email for such complaints. Ring the council switch 044-9332000 and state your complaint. The E.P.A. will only do pretty much the same anyhow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sadim

good luck trying to get council to do anything with dumping. iwas told they hadnt the staff and such things were best left to Res. Assoc.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sadim

just tried ringing that number.. no one answering the phone.. Typical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dirty ****ers.

We have an estate beside a field we own. People hadnt moved in 6 months when some of them decided to dump their lawn clippings and garden waste over the wall and into our field, while relatively harmeless, i found the presumption that they could do it in the first place very annoying.

I gathered up the clippings in a black sack and left it at their front door.

No more dumping

As for the OP here, is that a field behind you and your neighbours either side of you are dumping across it? Try contacting the and tipping him off or is it NAMA?

The field is behind me, the neighbours have to the road to get to the field. They are now bringing a ladder to ease getting their clipping over the wall.

I e-mailed the council, nothing, I rang them, but was on hold for to long. I rang the EPA gave all the details and haven't heard a thing since. I hopped over the other day and cleared the crap away from my back wall to keep the smell away from the house. The next time I see one of them going across to dump I will ask them to stop due to the smell and the crap that is being chucked into our back garden by kids playing in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The field is behind me, the neighbours have to the road to get to the field. They are now bringing a ladder to ease getting their clipping over the wall.

I e-mailed the council, nothing, I rang them, but was on hold for to long. I rang the EPA gave all the details and haven't heard a thing since. I hopped over the other day and cleared the crap away from my back wall to keep the smell away from the house. The next time I see one of them going across to dump I will ask them to stop due to the smell and the crap that is being chucked into our back garden by kids playing in the field.

go out, clean up some of the stuff and leave it in bags at their front door.
    they might get the message.

update, Westmeath CC called down yesterday and seen what was left, I had cleaned some of it up as the smell was getting bad, yes grass cutting smell poxy when they have been in a black plastic bag for weeks. They dropped letters in all the offenders doors telling them that it was being monitored and they would be checking up on it in future.

Hopefully that will be the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

Tell the neighbour you have seen rats in the area since they started dumping stuff there. ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement