Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card details by phone

Options
  • 08-05-2011 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I am securing a reservation for a hotel (in Ireland) and have been asked to supply my credit card details by phone. How secure is this option? I would rather pay a deposit by cheque or use a secure server online, but neither of these options is available for the special deal I've negotiated.I don't want to seem paranoid but I don't want to become a victim of fraud either.
    I know that on one occasion recently a hotel reception in Sligo wrote down my credit card details on a scrap of paper, including the security code and my address, and were about to slot it into my file when I objected. They said this was normal procedure on checking in :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's as safe as when they take a copy of your card at checkin. that's my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I have used my credit card to pay for dominos pizza many times over the phone, and have also ordered a few items off QVC shopping channel by phone and no problems whatsoever. As long as its a well established company, you most likely wont have any problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Thanks for the replies - I guess I must be just paranoid so.
    Am I right in thinking, however, that if the person who records your information by hand holds onto it, he/she can use it anytime down the road (before the cc expiry date) to order stuff online? With transient employees in a variety of places, is this not a cc vulnerability, no matter how reputable the original vendor is?
    For example, let's say you're employed for the summer only and gather a few dozen cc numbers with all relevant names, addresses and security codes. Once you're long gone from your job, you can have a right old buying spree with no way to link you back to the original source of the information. If the card is swiped via machine or a secure server, there is not the same opportunity for fraud IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It is illegal for any Distance Sellers to keep your cc details on anything other than a secure system. In practice you will find that most places will not have retained a record of your card if you rebook with them later.I would'nt worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

also anything they used it for would have to be delivered to them making them traceable through the shipping address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

also anything they used it for would have to be delivered to them making them traceable through the shipping address

Not if the employee takes the details home with them and uses random addresses for deliveries. As far as I know, there is very poor follow-up by the Gardai (or even the UK police, according to Watchdog) on card fraud in these circumstances. :(
    I have seen instances posted on forums where even with the delivery address clearly accepting fraudulently obtained goods, the law was unable/unwilling to prosecute. It doesn't fill me with confidence, but I suppose I can keep a tight eye on my statements and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

It's a chance you have to take. I know a friend of mine held an account with a said company and they paid their monthly bills accrued via a credit card once a month after conferring with the said company.On one occasion not so long ago the company withdrew money from her credit card without her monthly consent which meant they were retaining her credit card details which I'm pretty sure is illegal isn't it?They are mean't to scrap your details after payment is made via phone etc?!:eek:

Advertisement