Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reapplying for passport and deed poll

• 08-05-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I have been meaning to change my name by deed poll for a while. Just as I was about to do so, however, my passport was stolen. I asked a solicitor, who would not perform the affidavit without either a passport or driving licence (I don't drive).

So the position as I see it is that I can get my new passport under my old name and then get the deed poll, but to get my passport in my new name I would have to wait until the new passport in my old name expires. This seems terribly awkward, but is there really any way around this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would not have to wait for the new passport to expire. You can get a new passport in your new name at anytime. The only problem will be you will end up having to pay for 2 passports instead of one.

Also you will be waiting a few months for your deed poll to comeback from the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭premierlass

Thanks for the reply. I had some idea you were stuck with your passport once you got it.
    Also you will be waiting a few months for your deed poll to comeback from the courts.

Good point. I may as well go ahead with renewing my passport and just resign myself to the extra cost. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is applying for a driver's licence cheaper? You don't need to continue with it.

I have never taken a driving test (and couldn't anyway, since I can't drive), so I don't think I would be eligible to apply.

When you factor in the costs of :
    a. Theory test and getting there
    b. Eye test
    c. Photographs
    d. Licence

You would be more out of pocket in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I have been meaning to change my name by deed poll for a while. Just as I was about to do so, however, my passport was stolen. I asked a solicitor, who would not perform the affidavit without either a passport or driving licence (I don't drive).

So the position as I see it is that I can get my new passport under my old name and then get the deed poll, but to get my passport in my new name I would have to wait until the new passport in my old name expires. This seems terribly awkward, but is there really any way around this?

If you get married and change your name you can get a new passport before the old one expires, I'd imagine you can renew long before the old one expires.

alternatively, get a learners permit. all the id you need to get a drivers license if you got a cert of competency from a tester, so should be ok for a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

When you factor in the costs of :
    a. Theory test and getting there
    b. Eye test
    c. Photographs
    d. Licence

You would be more out of pocket in my opinion.

Agreed the days of going down the motor tax office with 2 passport pictures and €10 is long gone.

I meant to follow up with another question on the same topic but got sidetracked.

I'm not married and so don't actually need the deed poll to change my name as it's my mother's and on my birth cert. (Born before 1997 when the law changed.)

The reason I wanted to change my name by deed poll was that 1. I wanted to renew my passport with my new name and 2. I thought it might be more straightforward overall.

As it turned out, my passport got stolen, so I've decided to renew it in my old name anyway (as advised on this thread).

That being so, should I bother with the deed poll at all and just go to banks etc with my birth cert, or are they likely to look askance at someone in their thirties wanting to change to their mother's name out of the blue?

You are best to get the deed poll to save bother.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement