Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you idenify this creeper,climber

Options
  • 08-05-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Can you identify this creeper,climber

On a trellis facing west, a tree blocks out some of the sun, not pure shade, but not sunny either

While it grows well and looks healthty, does not flower, this is it's second year in the ground

Any ideas what it is and is it suitable for this aspect

Any reccomendations, creeper/would flower here, there is a sturdy trellis, so does not need to be self supporting. Flowering and non-decidious would be ideal, if at all possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

It looks to me like the white potato vine, Solanum jasminoides. Those look like flower buds so it should flower this year. It's a lovely plant for a pergola/ fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

k123456 wrote: »
    Can you identify this creeper,climber

On a trellis facing west, a tree blocks out some of the sun, not pure shade, but not sunny either

While it grows well and looks healthty, does not flower, this is it's second year in the ground

Any ideas what it is and is it suitable for this aspect

Any reccomendations, creeper/would flower here, there is a sturdy trellis, so does not need to be self supporting. Flowering and non-decidious would be ideal, if at all possible

Reminds me of a Honey suckle, Lonicera henryi... And it looks like it's about to flower too... Semi Evergreen ... flowers are very small and really nothing impressive but mine survived last winter which speaks for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Looks like Wyldwood is correct, seems to be a White potato vine. It likes a bit of sun so maybe it IS too shaded to flower. Nice plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mark6

I would have guessed it was Clematis Armandii but not sure. Is it evergreen ? It looks like it is about to flower. If it is the Clematis then it is quite vigorous and can get woody. I have only seen it on south or west facing walls and none were shaded. It looks good and healthy as it is and if it is now flowering then its happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I wouldn't think its Solanum as i don't think their leaves are waxy like which in the pic they appear to be.

I would also guess Clematis armandii, it does look like its about to flower and its only two years old so would leave it for a bit and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

It is defnitely not Solanum jasminoides album! I have it for years in my garden and it is nothing like that picture, the leaves are much smaller and lighter and not a bit waxy.

Heres a pic of Solanum..
    solanum_jasminoides.jpg

I agree with the other two posters and think that your climber is Clematis armandii - see below pic
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSaB9ZV5KRHW8HMTVfCtGXht44yHlxwpumLqXdnoJtUaAFQbpt
    Clematis armandii
    Evergreen early flowering Clematis

Clusters of creamy-white scented flowers
    Flower size: 2 inches
    Height: 6 - 20 feet depending on support available.
    Flowering Period(s): March - May
    Ideal position: Full sun or partial shade. Sheltered and free draining.
    Pruning: Tidy after flowering
    Other features: Very hardy and evergreen.

As you were also looking for another climber I would highly reccommend the Solanum jasminoides album, easy enough to keep and looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

foxinsox wrote: »

I agree with the other two posters and think that your climber is Clematis armandii -
    Clematis armandii

As you were also looking for another climber I would highly reccommend the Solanum jasminoides album, easy enough to keep and looks great.

I disagree, Clematis armandii have different clumps of flower buds

http://www.flomaster.krizztov.com/?cat=19&paged=4

Scroll down to find the Photos of Clematis armandii

While lonicera henryi or similar

http://lve-baumschule.de/en/node/3881

OP any of these remind you of your plant??? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

^ I was trying to think of the name of Clematis armandii last night to answer OP..

I only think it is that, but then when you look at your links for Lonicera henryi, it does look like that too..

It is very hard to judge from the pics..

So it just goes to show - keep the labels somewhere!

I have lots of mysterious plants in my garden, knew I should have kept the names somewhere!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for all the replies , lonicera henryi certainly rings a bell, when we bought a helluva lotta plants for the garden (in one go), think lonicera henryi was one of them. Last year we got what looked like buds , however they never deleloped into flowers, this year we have the same buds, hoping they develop into flowers this year.

Maybe in their first year , they don't produce flowers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mark6

Have to agree with Jezko now. The flower buds are Lonicera like and the leaf veins are not like Clematis armandii. I don't know what to suggest as another climber but the Solanums(?) do lose leaf in winter and many died in the last two cold winters - maybe a variegated ivy or Jasmine (polyanthum)? though a lot a the jasmines also died right back in the severe winters but my own is on the way back again now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement