Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular saw?

• 08-05-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Thinking about buying a circular saw, and was looking for some advice.

I've been looking at websites which say that when buying a circular saw you should go for the 7¼ inch (185mm) blade as they are the most common easily sourced blade. However a lot of the saws I've been looking at have 190mm blades. What's the difference between these two blades apart from the obvious 5mm. Will a 190mm blade fit a 185mm saw and vice versa.

My budget is €120.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You can get a decent Hitachi or Makita for that price. To be honest i dont know the difference between the 185 and 190. Generally its the bore of the disc mount that determines if it fits or not- it a 185 will fit in a saw that had a 190 and vice versa if the bore of the mount (the hole in the centre of the blade) is the same on both.. eg 30mm etc.

Some saws are sold with a blade, if its finer cuts for second fixing you will need one with more, yet smaller teeth, if its for first fix work the blade has deeper teeth and less per inch if blade circumference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

LIDL had a Parkside 190mm saw recently for about 35 quid. It has soft start, height and tilt adjust, lazer guide and rip fence. The blade in it is a rough cut 12T. I bought a nice 40T blade from Ebay for 10 quid. The saw has a 16mm blade bore, you can get adjusters to adapt any blade.

Have to day, its a great saw. They still have some left at Carrick-On-Shannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I also bought one of these Lidl Saws when I was doing my Built in Wardrobes. I have to say its a brilliant Saw. At the price it's great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 rooney111

makita is the best you can buy,will take serious wear in tear. parkside is only for bit of diy now n then.

rooney111 wrote: »
    makita is the best you can buy,will take serious wear in tear. parkside is only for bit of diy now n then.

Bit of diy now and then is all most of us do really, the LIDL saw is 1300w IIRC. It's a powerful beast that glides through heavy stock for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

One thing I've noticed with the Lidl stuff, is they can be v heavy, compared to De Walt etc

k123456 wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed with the Lidl stuff, is they can be v heavy, compared to De Walt etc

Some of the stuff. The LIDL Parkside belt sander weighs a tonne, which is precisely how I like it. It feels reassuringly heavy duty and the weight adds to its controllability. The saw weight is completely average, just nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thanks for the replys lads.

We ended up going for this animal of a saw; http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E87ZRMV1L._AA420_.jpg

Its a seriously powerful saw at 1670 watts. Probably a bit over the top for what we'll be using it for but it feels like a very well put together tool & will probably last a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

Thanks for the replys lads.

We ended up going for this animal of a saw; http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E87ZRMV1L._AA420_.jpg

Its a seriously powerful saw at 1670 watts. Probably a bit over the top for what we'll be using it for but it feels like a very well put together tool & will probably last a long time.
    There a great saw have the bigger version 9 1/4 inch very robust and powerful great choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    There a great saw have the bigger version 9 1/4 inch very robust and powerful great choice

Some machine alright. Goes through ply like a hot knife through butter.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Some machine alright. Goes through ply like a hot knife through butter.:pac:

glad you bought that one - best of luck with it.

Advertisement