Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End Game PvE / PvP ?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

A bit of advice needed guys...

So I played wow in beta and vanilla. Got to lvl 60 and quit with my guild at the time without doing any real end game content.

Just came back to the back game a few months back and got a warrior to 85 the other day. Basically just quested straight through .. work a lot so my time to play WoW is very limited. Have done minimal dungeon, heroic and raiding content. Have done pvp but only bgs and no arena or rated bgs.

Basically I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. I want to do both end game pvp and pve but what is the best way to approach it?

I have lots of questions re gear and equipment

1. When is it appropriate to join heroic dungeon queues? What gear lvl and type is expected? Is a minimum for a heroic group having a full justice set?

2. Are there any resources out there that help me put together a capped template. I dont really have any idea re caps for stats like str, stamina etc. Is there hard caps for mastery, crit, hit? What is most important for tanks, dps etc to cap out first?

3. Is there a big difference between pve gear and pvp gear and if so why? Is the best pvp gear not good enough for pve raids etc? Would the best pve gear then be better than the top pvp sets for pvp?

4. PvP arenas and rated bgs .. Could someone please explain these in more detail?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Playboy wrote: »
    1. When is it appropriate to join heroic dungeon queues? What gear lvl and type is expected? Is a minimum for a heroic group having a full justice set?

ilvl 333 gear from normal cata dungeons and quest blues , and whatever you buy from justice points is a bonus as there the same ilvl from drops in the heroics versions, and there a bit easier nowadays thanks to the 15% buff
    2. Are there any resources out there that help me put together a capped template. I dont really have any idea re caps for stats like str, stamina etc. Is there hard caps for mastery, crit, hit? What is most important for tanks, dps etc to cap out first?
    Main thing for melee DPS to get first is 8% hit rating and 28 expertise, but dont use gems to hit these stats, its better to reforge you gear and use take away haste and crit to hit these minimums, it does'nt hurt to reforge those stats into mastery after you hit the minimums too, and gemming for strength is your best bet dps wise too, not to sure about warrior tanks so i'll leave that.
    3. Is there a big difference between pve gear and pvp gear and if so why? Is the best pvp gear not good enough for pve raids etc? Would the best pve gear then be better than the top pvp sets for pvp?
    YES, huge difference, resilience does nothing PvE wise, and the general stat weighing is bad for PvE, i'd say the current best PvP gear wouldnt even fair well in a heroic, let alone a raid, and tanks using PvP gear would just get squashed
    4. PvP arenas and rated bgs .. Could someone please explain these in more detail?
    I dont do much PvP so i'll that for someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

bossa_nova wrote: »
    Main thing for melee DPS to get first is 8% hit rating and 28 expertise

Aint the case Ok this is for a assasination rogue (Melee dps) but expertise is not that valuable. Also since your behind your target I think it's not as important as it used to be for tanks, which now also get so much threat from vengence. Might be for warriors I dunno but dont take these general statements as gospel. Elitist Jerks would have builds and stat weightings for each spec. Would check it out for specifics.

Think PVP gear is equivilent to a couple of tiers below pve gear so Blue pve gear would be better than most of it. Maybe more or less depending on weighting of stats as will have a good bit more agi/str etc, but resilience is worthless.

Aint played in a couple of months now so may have changed but check links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Just be careful what you read about hit, most searches will point to raid capped hit which is higher then heroic hit requirements because of the boss level. At blue gear going into heroics I would be inclined to reforge to the heroic hit cap and when you are starting to get decent gear take a look at loot tables and target certain pieces to make your caps attainable. At that point you can look at gems over reforging. I know personally for casters the hit cap is just not possible at the best of times without some deal of reforging, when you are in a situation like that make sure you read around to see the reforge stat priority. Some classes have little value on certain secondary stats which you will prioritise a reforge on. Also take a look at http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear . Use this with a large pinch of salt as it is not optimized for all classes (e.g. mages). If it is optimized for your class and supports what you are reading in terms of theory / stat weighting it is a great tool and will point you towards upgrades for your level. In a way it could give you a gear set to aim for, a few searches on pre-raid BiS lists for your class will give you a more accurate one as they are generally community driven and refined. What Mr. Robot does show you though regardless of how accurate it is, is your reforges, and it is very easy to spot a conflicting reforge. e.g. if you reforge haste to crit on one item and on another you reforge crit to haste, that's hard to pick up in game or on the armory, at least here it is displayed in front of you.

You ask when it is appropriate to join heroic queues, simple answer is when you are comfortable to. From a DPS point of view the second you hit the min requirements you could jump in but for a tank you need to see most of the instances on normal mode to get a feel for them. Mechanics change on heroic mode and youtube is a great resource, seeing a fights mechanics is a far better way to prepare yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Berns wrote: »
    Aint the case Ok this is for a assasination rogue (Melee dps) but expertise is not that valuable. Also since your behind your target I think it's not as important as it used to be for tanks, which now also get so much threat from vengence. Might be for warriors I dunno but dont take these general statements as gospel. Elitist Jerks would have builds and stat weightings for each spec. Would check it out for specifics.

Think PVP gear is equivilent to a couple of tiers below pve gear so Blue pve gear would be better than most of it. Maybe more or less depending on weighting of stats as will have a good bit more agi/str etc, but resilience is worthless.

Aint played in a couple of months now so may have changed but check links :)

I should have said plate dps for those caps, and they still seem to be the main thing to reforge gearwise on plate dps
    Arms

Q: What are my stat priorities?
    A: Get 8% Hit. After that, Strength > Crit > Mastery = Expertise > Haste.

Fury

Q: What are my stat priorities?
    A: Get 8% Hit (including Precision), 26 Expertise. After that, Strength > Hit (up to 27%) > Crit > Haste == Mastery.

i was wrong about the mastery though, i shoulda looked that up, just used to playing my retadin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Playboy wrote: »

Thanks in advance

I can cover these ones, seeing as it's the focus of my own guild.

Arena's come in 3 formats, 2vs2/3vs3/5vs5:

It's basically based on a Gladiator style system, team mates enter the battle and kill the opposing team members.
    As a Warrior, try and find yourself a healer and you'll do quite well.

Rated Battlegrounds are quite similar to the premades we ran in Classic, but are much more competitive. Best thing to do here is find an actual Guild to do RBG's, as pugging them will not end well.

If you do decide to gear up for Arms, you'll want to get the full Bloodthirsty Gladiator set, and you'll need an approximate 3500 Resilience to have some decent survival.
    Reforge your gear from Haste (or Crit) to Expertise, you'll want to get to about 20 Expertise to stop people dodging your Throwdown.

For a spec, you can use this one: Arms

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement