Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bull to give cows. Dairy

• 08-05-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

cant decide what breed to give the cows. dairy herd , dont need any more fresians , never had any luck with charolais , limousin bring to many days with them, belgium bule seem to be too milky, have allready given a few blacks but there .............blacks, had parthenaise in mind but ai man says there a bit leggy ??? now have blonde d'aquataine the bull jigsaw in mind , anyone any experience with either of these 2 breeds and what are ye using?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

So its a beef bull for the dairy heard you want?
    When do you sell the calves?

If you have cows with wide pins you cant beat an easy calving blue like CGG and they dont carry many days

Herefords are handy enough calved and quite. maybe used a polled hereford like GCT

Angus are the kings of easy calving. get you cows back in calf easy. No skulling needed

wouldnt look ouside those 3 really unless you wanted to use something unusual:

Murry grays are polled as far as I know and are very easy calved

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

So its a beef bull for the dairy heard you want?
    When do you sell the calves?

If you have cows with wide pins you cant beat an easy calving blue like CGG and they dont carry many days

Herefords are handy enough calved and quite. maybe used a polled hereford like GCT

Angus are the kings of easy calving. get you cows back in calf easy. No skulling needed

wouldnt look ouside those 3 really unless you wanted to use something unusual:

Murry grays are polled as far as I know and are very easy calved

sell them at 18 months, never heard of murry greys!
    saw a few nice herefords in the catalogue might give a few,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Murray grey are an australian breed mostly derived from angus imports crossed with crossbred introduced cattle. Average gestation was about 275 days so the calf was small but hardy and up quickly. I used one years ago, Lis na lee leopard(?), little beauties and looked just like an angus

actually theres only 2 hereford in the cat , was gettin them mixed up with shornhorns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

hereford is the obvious choice , plenty of demand for hereford heifers out of the dairy herd now too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i would say stick with your aa or hd safer,aubrac are easy enough too

which A.I. company do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

saw some fantastic limousin crosses off br/fr cows last week.... they where yearlings , the owner said the suckler guys go mad for them... we use canadian angus on our cows and the calves are fine... i would keep away from charolaois as they carry a good bit of time with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

freisain heifer calves are still making upto 500 or 600 hunderd euro so even if you dont what them someone else will.thats what im doing this year using all freisain ai and selling off anything i dont need.

freisain heifer calves are still making upto 500 or 600 hunderd euro so even if you dont what them someone else will.thats what im doing this year using all freisain ai and selling off anything i dont need.
    thats was i was thinking a friesian replacement will always be worth money

• Advertisement

bulling heifers where i live are not making much more than 600 euro let alone fresian heifer calves , the country is full of dairy stock and with a superlevy almost a certainty next spring , stock will be cheap

i know if i gave fresians to sell as replacement they'd all be bulls....for sure :(
    Use progressive genetics

irishh_bob wrote: »
    bulling heifers where i live are not making much more than 600 euro let alone fresian heifer calves , the country is full of dairy stock and with a superlevy almost a certainty next spring , stock will be cheap
    i always see friesian heifers as an investment... they mightnt be a great price now but that could change 12 months down the line... would prefer to breed to friesian than a charolaois any day

Finno59 wrote: »
    i know if i gave fresians to sell as replacement they'd all be bulls....for sure :(
    Use progressive genetics
    has anyone gotten on to pg about the advantage semen ? are they still marketing it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

whelan1 wrote: »
    i always see friesian heifers as an investment... they mightnt be a great price now but that could change 12 months down the line... would prefer to breed to friesian than a charolaois any day

Exactly, unless she is a poor cow, put her to AI Hol/Fr. Can't understand going to the bother of AIing and then using a beef bull, replacements are always needed. It was only a month ago, any black and white calve, maiden or cow were making big money.

Exactly, unless she is a poor cow, put her to AI Hol/Fr. Can't understand going to the bother of AIing and then using a beef bull, replacements are always needed. It was only a month ago, any black and white calve, maiden or cow were making big money.

i know replacements are worth a lot but if u get a lot more bulls than heifers which we always do you'd make more profit giving beef breeds and selling at 18 months. would always use AI. will give some fresians to the ones that had bulls last year.

i have 20 of them if you can get that kind of money, not in west cork you would nearly get bulling heifers for that. dry cows are more valuable than milkers

i have 20 of them if you can get that kind of money, not in west cork you would nearly get bulling heifers for that. dry cows are more valuable than milkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Montbeliarde?

Milky and beefy...

has anyone gotten on to pg about the advantage semen ? are they still marketing it ?

There is nothing on the catalogue about female advantage semen, I couldn't complain to PG as I got a lot of heifers but then I got a lot of heifers two years ago when there was none of the female advantage.

Lots of bulls next year probably...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

got a news letter from progressive genetics last week with a bill. female advantage fertility update. the first 10,000 advantage inseminations from widespread use recorded with icbf have been analysed.it shows advantage semen to be exactly the same as conventional semen in terms of conception rate. this is what we would expect based on the trial data.over the course of the summer/ autumn we will be adding to the number of scanned pregnancies and calves born in order to increase the reliability of the female bias.however we would expect this to remain above 57% female births.

Use progressive genetics

in that case BWU for hereford or CGG in a blue

LZL is the murry gray that PG have.

got a news letter from progressive genetics last week with a bill. female advantage fertility update. the first 10,000 advantage inseminations from widespread use recorded with icbf have been analysed.it shows advantage semen to be exactly the same as conventional semen in terms of conception rate. this is what we would expect based on the trial data.over the course of the summer/ autumn we will be adding to the number of scanned pregnancies and calves born in order to increase the reliability of the female bias.however we would expect this to remain above 57% female births.
    i got a bill last week but didnt get the newsletter:confused::confused: so they are saying it is the same as conventional semen so where's our refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

i got a bill last week but didnt get the newsletter:confused::confused: so they are saying it is the same as conventional semen so where's our refund?

Talk to your sales rep they gave me a sheet to fill out with details of all births this year.It hasn't worked for me but I know at least two people it has worked very well for.

will give some fresians to the ones that had bulls last year.

Why?

Better put your best cows to FR and bottom end cows to beef, breed form to top not some notion people have of AI, don't believe the conjecture of AI = 100% bulls.

Having enough replacements is the most important thing for dairy farms, the one thing I agree with in the Jersey cross debate is the over emphasis on calf sales, get replacements first. Calves conceived today will be milking in 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Why?

Better put your best cows to FR and bottom end cows to beef, breed form to top not some notion people have of AI, don't believe the conjecture of AI = 100% bulls.

Having enough replacements is the most important thing for dairy farms, the one thing I agree with in the Jersey cross debate is the over emphasis on calf sales, get replacements first. Calves conceived today will be milking in 2014

Funny you should say that we have been considering for the last few years of breeding no replacements and buying them in. Gave it serious consideration this year. The only thing stopping us is that we have been increasing in numbers. I think once we get to our optimum number we will be using beef breeds on all cows

Rearing replacement heifers in a very expensive game

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Funny you should say that we have been considering for the last few years of breeding no replacements and buying them in. Gave it serious consideration this year. The only thing stopping us is that we have been increasing in numbers. I think once we get to our optimum number we will be using beef breeds on all cows

Rearing replacement heifers in a very expensive game

A closed herd is important, list as long as your arm of diseases out there. It gives you control too, you can sell them as easy as beef or keep them and know their breeding etc, when I'm selling, I rarely sell my best ones, no one does.

Min wrote: »
    There is nothing on the catalogue about female advantage semen, I couldn't complain to PG as I got a lot of heifers but then I got a lot of heifers two years ago when there was none of the female advantage.

Lots of bulls next year probably...

the female advantage programme was an abject failure , last i heard , PG were planning to compensate farmers , i was told by a close relative of the head man at enfield that it doesnt work last december

the female advantage programme was an abject failure , last i heard , PG were planning to compensate farmers , i was told by a close relative of the head man at enfield that it doesnt work last december
    yes so why dont they just do that.....a credit note isnt really worth anything , we bought this semen in good faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

ordered 20 straws of HVA last night at 7.30 as i used the last one- got it delivered at 7.45 this morning- now thats service-and im not biased

did they know why it was a failure? was it in the separation it went wrong or their theory of there being male and female sperms was false? :rolleyes:

I was lucky but two years ago was good for lots of replacements here, last year a lot more bulls and this a lot more heifers again so the natural cycle of things more than anything else, then some seem to always have heifers and other bulls, others like to change the sex of the calf every year :pac:

The cows were probably more female advantage this year than the bulls were.
    The sperm determines the sex but maybe the cow or heifer is more into deciding which sperm is accepted.

new limousine bull oezus looks good but the figures arent reliabe yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cowman

cant decide what breed to give the cows. dairy herd , dont need any more fresians , never had any luck with charolais , limousin bring to many days with them, belgium bule seem to be too milky, have allready given a few blacks but there .............blacks, had parthenaise in mind but ai man says there a bit leggy ??? now have blonde d'aquataine the bull jigsaw in mind , anyone any experience with either of these 2 breeds and what are ye using?
    Progressive/munster are selling a Parthenaise bull caled Cambridge (CBQ). Have heard good reports about his calves, short gestation, easy calving and quick to drink! ETB is a good option for a belgian blue he is with prgressive as well...
    Heres a link for the parthenaise on his figures.
    http://www.icbf.com/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=cbq

cowman wrote: »
    Progressive/munster are selling a Parthenaise bull caled Cambridge (CBQ). Have heard good reports about his calves, short gestation, easy calving and quick to drink! ETB is a good option for a belgian blue he is with prgressive as well...
    Heres a link for the parthenaise on his figures.
    http://www.icbf.com/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=cbq

his figures look good all right, they've come up from what they were on 2010/11 catalogue anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've seen some savage pedigree calves by him but I'd wait for a better calving survey before using him on dairy cows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭PureClaas

Try IRX on dairy stock, he's rated in France for heifers and you should have no bother at all on 2nd or 3rd calving dairy cows maybe.

IRX is by far the best bull on any Irish AI list Sligo AI has the makings of great PT bull coming up soon too

But that statement buy the AI man saying PT's are leggy, jaysus he's some AI man is all i can say. Id be checking him for big gray ears and a tail next time he comes into the yard lad. HEHAW HEHAW

Probably another one of these egits comparing them to Jersey's lmao

Advertisement