Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going travelling - should I buy a SE Xperia Arc instead of a digital camera?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Hi all

In a few weeks I will be going travelling for a year or two.

I need a digital camera.

I currently use an old SE phone (maybe 2.5 years old) and it works fine, but I think it is time to upgrade.

I can get the SE Xperia Arc for €189 on a 12 month contract with my currently monthly package which is €19 per month.

This is my thinking:

Instead of buying a digital camera and having both a camera and phone, I could just spend sort-of the same amount of money and combine both my camera and phone into the one device. (As you probably know, the Xperia Arc has a 8.1 megapixel camera.)

I like the idea, but maybe I am being mental.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

The quality of picture take by a digital camera comes down to the lens, and the sensor. The bigger these two are the better your pictures will be.

All cameras in phones are poor compared to even cheap compact point and shoot cameras, due to their tiny sensor and lens.

Apart from this HUGE quality difference, you will also miss out on Optical zoom, decent flash and a whole host of other features by using a camera phone.

If you want a small camera, I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix compact. Something like the FX35 (there will be a more modern equivalent)

Megapixels are a red herring, anything over 3Mp can product good pictures as long as you are printing them in huge sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'd get an N8 - good flash, lots of onboard storage and it's got USB OTG so you can save your media off to a portable USB drive

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

So, you are going travelling and are planning to commit to a 12 month contract? You wouldn't be able to use any of the inclusive minutes from your contract while roaming, so the phone doesn't cost you 189, it costs you 189 + 12x your monthly rate. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I have a Panasonic lumix and its a very good little camera. I own the xperia arc and it takes very impressive photos but as above poster says, never as good as a real camera.

Advertisement