Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy Drinks

• 08-05-2011 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭

Right folks, what is the best what works and what do you use?

Is High 5 4:1 much better than High 5 Energy Source? and what about Energy Source Extreme?

Any others people use? We're talking long distance cycling here.

Thoughts...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

My old coach (not cycling) used to tell us to make our own, a few tablespoons of glucose and a bit of salt mixed into Mi-wadi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

mgmt wrote: »
    My old coach (not cycling) used to tell us to make our own, a few tablespoons of glucose and a bit of salt mixed into Mi-wadi.

Hadn't thought of that. Good idea. Andrei Agassi's coach made nrg drinks for him too believe it or not. Gill water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I tend only to drink orange squash, not a huge fan of the energy drinks except for long swims rather then rides. I feel that the food consumed on the ride is more then enough to compensate although a number of suggestions are:
    Diorlyte ( get it from the chemists)
    Nunn Tablets
    High 5
    Lucozade
    Science in Sport

hope it helps somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

For 750ml water
    2 table spoons of sugar
    1 small sachet of salt
    small amount of dilute fruit drink to flavour

Works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Yeah I have doing my own for quite a while. Mi Wadi tropical fruit, salt and sugar. Was going to give one of these bad boys a shot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sugar has 4 calories per g.

Endurance cycling requires 500-1000 calories an hour depending on your level of awesomeness; you have fat burning and glycogen stores so you don't need to get all those via your stomach.

You would need substantial amounts of sugar (or other carbs) in a drink if you expect to use it as a source of energy as opposed to isotonic hydration.

Past a certain concentration, and depending on effort levels, a carb drink will just sit undigested in your stomach. This effect varies between riders.

Glucose is absorbed very quickly and can cause blood sugar spikes which are bad, depending on how you're drinking it (big glugs, sipping).

Sucrose and glucose taste very sweet. There are various other sugars and starch-derived carbohydrate products which taste less sweet and tend o be digested slower.

In any case, non-competitive endurance cycling is generally done at a level of effort at which you can eat real food.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭corkchef

For 750ml water
    2 table spoons of sugar
    1 small sachet of salt
    small amount of dilute fruit drink to flavour

Works for me

mmmm.:rolleyes: two tablespoons of sugar. is that not fairly sweet? i have a problem with cokes et al because of the sweetness

i've been trying a version of this but have only been putting in 1 tsp of demarra sugar and six cranks of a rock salt grinder. been thinking of adding some corn starch. thought i read somewhere that maltodextrin and corn starch were one and the same. on the TDC though, those lemonade lucozade puppies tasted a treat. i think they contain aspartame which i heard was a real no no.

Advertisement