Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Wheels for big fella

• 08-05-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I wrecked the rim on my Mavic CXP22 rear wheel today in the tour of sligo. I'm a big fella at around 19 stone and I put in a fair bit of power when i get out of the saddle on a climb. Anyway today I pulled 2 nipples out of the rim along with big chunks of rim and there are a few more with cracks around the nipples.
    I'm looking at the various options and I think i need 32 or 36 spoke wheels.

Mavic Askiums are good value but low spoke count

Planet X Model C's are very good value and high spoke count but i've read mixed reviews.

Fulcrum 7's or even 5's... are these good for heavyweights?

I hear lots of people raving about handbuilt wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims
    Has anyone got wheels built be Rose bikes? These seem good value for handbuilt?
    http://www.roseversand.com/article/racing-bike-wheel-set-700c-mavic-open-pro--shimano-105-silver/aid:401809

Or what other options are out there.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Or can anyone recommend a wheelbuilder in the Midlands or Dublin who would be able to replace the rim and build me a new set of 36 spoke wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

there is a wheel builder based in blanch village now, recently opened a shop called cyclezone., Great guy and reasonable prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi donie,im about 19st myself and bought a road bike last august and was advised to go for a hybrid by the bike shop owner as he thought i was too big for a road bike and would pop a lot of spokes,i got a defy3 and am using the stock wheele(googles your buddy) and so far so good,i have a very slight wobble in the rear wheel and will get it sorted soon but no spokes gone yet and i have 1700miles on the bike,im cycling around east cork and the roads are crap and so far the wheel have survived,regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have a set of 36 spoke wheels built with Mavic 2011 Open Sport Rims and 36 hole ultegra hubs. I went for the Open Sport over the Open Pro because they accomodate a slightly wider tyre and I use them for touring, commuting and training.

Mr Skeffington built them for me but since he has left the countr, I dropped them in to Cliff in EuroCycles on South William St to fix some spokes I damaged.

36 spokes may be overkill for just training, I got them for reassurance when carrying panniers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Justin in Cyclezone in Blanchardstown, 105 hubs laced to Open Pro's, you'll be laughing!

For what it's worth, I have Fulcrum Racing 7's and 3's; the 7's carried me (80kg) and about 12kg of luggage touring, still perfectly true. Very strong wheels. 3's seem bombproof, used for racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Well im sure people on here know im going to say hand built really is the way to go! Mavic rims are lovely to build with and are by far my favourite, ive built loads of wheelsets with them and they always come out perfect, but in your case I would suggest something deep section, maybe a velocity model,they can be a bit heavier but they are much more solid and alot more spoke tension can be used with them, and the more tension the stronger the wheel.Also spoke washers would probably be a good idea to cut down vibration at the elbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Justin in Cyclezone in Blanchardstown, 105 hubs laced to Open Pro's, you'll be laughing!

For what it's worth, I have Fulcrum Racing 7's and 3's; the 7's carried me (80kg)

Dave you are anorexic!
    Is it Justin Mcgee?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Parker International have served me well.

see old thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056057565

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

morana wrote: »
    Dave you are anorexic!
    Is it Justin Mcgee?

Em, hardly anorexic, kind of the opposite! I'm now up to 86kg, sadly, though hopefully will be heading back to 83kg through the summer.

No, Justin Walsh is his name. I don't know Justin McGee, so can't vouch for him, but Walsh's work is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Em, hardly anorexic, kind of the opposite! I'm now up to 86kg, sadly, though hopefully will be heading back to 83kg through the summer.

No, Justin Walsh is his name. I don't know Justin McGee, so can't vouch for him, but Walsh's work is very good

agree!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement