Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy

Options
  • 08-05-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey everyone,

I've been offered a place to study Occupational Therapy in both Cardiff and Plymouth in the UK. I'll be graduating in 3 years (hopefully!) but am finding it hard to get info about what employment prospects are like, especially for the newly qualified. Does anyone know anything? I'd like to travel so any info on employment prospects anywhere in the world would be appreciated.

Also I was wondering does anyone know anything about the courses, the universities, or just general info about either of the cities i. e. friendly, university reputation, nightlife, crime,etc.

Thank you,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Hi there
    Congrats on getting the places. Are you in the leaving cert? I am going to the UK from Ireland to do the MSc in OT. Its two years.
    As for job prospects there are jobs in the UK and USA and Austrailia. Some in Ireland however dont be stressing about that three years before you have to- no job is safe in ireland and you might have some good contacts in the UK which will make it easier to get a job there. I was worrying for a long time too but I realised that I had to stop! It was driving me demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

All allied health care proffessionals in Ireland are having difficulty getting work at the mo due to the imbargo. As for OT and Physio this aappears to be hightened due to more proffessionals graduating each year than there are vacancies.

You may find you need to stay in the UK for a couple of years before you can get a job else where. Not sure what the state of play is at the moment but 10years ago some countries requiered you to have one or two years experience in you home country/country of study before they would register you.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Congratulations :)

i'm sorry i don't know about those unis but currently there is a high demand for OTs in the US, UK and to a lesser extent australia and new zealand. and to a much lesser extent, Ireland :)

as louloubella said we don't really know what the situation will be like in a couple of years, and working in the UK is considered excellent experience from emloyers perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 poppylady

My niece finished uni 2 years ago as an OT but had to go to london for work cos the jobs in ireland all needed experience - shes really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 theginsandwich

Thanks a million everyone! I'm not in Leaving Cert. I just finished my final year exams for a degree in NUIG, but not in a science subject which ruled out the two year MSc. I want to travel and live in many different countries, so the demand for OTs in the US, New Zealand and Australia is music to my ears! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

while the 2 year MSc OT in UL prefer a science subject it is not a strict criteria, proof that you are suited to OT and capable for the course is rigorously challenged during the application process however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mango85

Hi guys,
    Im starting msc in ot in Derby in Sept. It was the first interview i got so didn't bother going to any of the others. Derby seems like a really nice place, got a good feel from the university. Im 25 and having second thoughts about moving into halls -dont want to be surrounded by teenagers!although everything inclusive and near to university in a place i dont know is handy. Where are you planning on studying lot Lou?
    There are loads of jobs in OT in oz -was travelling there for over a year so That's where i will be heading when qualified in two years! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Congratulations Mango, sounds like you're all sorted out - I wouldn't worry too much about Halls, you might be glad of the company especially if you don't know anyone in Derby, and usuallly with Halls you can kind of take or leave stuff thats going on.

I know in Trinity and Limerick they tend to cluster mature students with PHD/gradute types for an older group, so that could be the case in other Unis.

Anyway good luck with it!

Advertisement