Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking /Ignore Threads

Options
  • 08-05-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

You can block/ignore certain posters, but just wondering how easy would it be for boards to introduce the same thing for blocking/ignoring threads ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Or you could, you know, just not open them...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Knew I would get that :p you could just do the same regarding posters , just read over there posts. It would be nice to have the option though on threads :)

Anyway hopefully the powers that be can clarify :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Knew I would get that :p you could just do the same regarding posters , just read over there posts. It would be nice to have the option though on threads :)

Anyway hopefully the powers that be can clarify :)

It's a lot easier to ignore a thread though. You don't open a thread and you dont see whats in it.

While a poster you don't like could post frequently in threads you like to read and its harder to avoid them therefore putting them on ignore hides their contributon to the thread you're reading.

It's a lot easier to ignore a thread though. You don't open a thread and you dont see whats in it.

While a poster you don't like could post frequently in threads you like to read and its harder to avoid them therefore putting them on ignore hides their contributon to the thread you're reading.

Fair enough, but I'm still curious to know if it would be possible to do it, particularly when you might have several threads you might want to ignore in a certain forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

But how?

I mean you might use key words I suppose. But people often make threads with completely random titles.

Or else you could ignore threads started by certain people?

I mean seriously, how could see it happening and what would be the point?

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    But how?

I mean you might use key words I suppose. But people often make threads with completely random titles.

Or else you could ignore threads started by certain people?

I mean seriously, how could see it happening and what would be the point?

I don't know the ins and outs of it technology wise, would it be as simple as,you see a thread you don't want to follow in a forum and just click ignore.

I don't understand what you mean by using random words, I'm simply talking about seeing a thread in a forum you want to ignore. For example take AH , which always seems to have several politics threads, many would like to completely ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I don't know the ins and outs of it technology wise, would it be as simple as,you see a thread you don't want to follow in a forum and just click ignore.

I don't understand what you mean by using random words, I'm simply talking about seeing a thread in a forum you want to ignore. For example take AH , which always seems to have several politics threads, many would like to completely ignore them.

You mean a button like "mark as read" where you could just click the box alongside said post/thread and click a button saying "ignore" :confused:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You mean a button like "mark as read" where you could just click the box alongside said post/thread and click a button saying "ignore" :confused:

I don't know, as said if it is easy to ignore a poster by clicking ignore, can't the same be done for a thread?

I just raised the question to see if it is something that can be done or if it is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I was thinking more along the lines of not seeing threads before they've begun.

But yeah I guess a button that ignores a thread would work although I'd be low on the dev list and might even be bad as people would end up with dozens of ignored threads as opposed to only a few ignored posters.

Orim wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of not seeing threads before they've begun.

But yeah I guess a button that ignores a thread would work although I'd be low on the dev list and might even be bad as people would end up with dozens of ignored threads as opposed to only a few ignored posters.

Appreciate that :) thought I would just put it out there :) maybe Dev could clarify if it would be possible, pros/cons etc.... Would be interested to know also how other posters feel about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:)

Sometimes I think that the whole idea of putting users on ignore is less about actually blocking them as being able to say that you have. Or perhaps to look at the list every now and then and think na-na-na-na.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

stovelid wrote: »

Sometimes I think that the whole idea of putting users on ignore is less about actually blocking them as being able to say that you have.

I was guilty of that last week! :o

I understand the idea behind a request for ignoring threads.
    I just don't see the benefit of a tool that implements something common sense should already deal with. It's like asking for a ban from a forum because you don't like what they talk about in there. Why not just avoid it? Click on the thread titles that you do like and enjoy those. That's what I do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

stovelid wrote: »

Sometimes I think that the whole idea of putting users on ignore is less about actually blocking them as being able to say that you have. Or perhaps to look at the list every now and then and think na-na-na-na.

It actually does help make threads more readable especially when they post quite a lot and a poster has to be quite irritating for me to put them on ignore in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

actually sounds like a pretty fair idea. Id only be wondering if this is one of those things that would creat a bunch of undue server load.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's a firefox extension that does this. I can't remember what it's called but I'm pretty sure I posted a link to it in a thread on the same issue in feedback (I may have even started the thread).

Oh all right then, I'll search for it if you insist... using Old Search because New Search is still fundamentally fecked and pretends I have never posted a thread in Feedback.

Nope, strangely the link is not in that thread, but there is an extension somewhere that does it, I promise.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825494

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It may have been FFVB, but that sadly has died:
    http://www.tycamtech.com/ffvb/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I had one person on ignore but ended up taking them off it as I seen them quoted by others on a thread and that they had been making the same points as me, just doing so first. So I looked as if I had just being copying what they were saying. Boy did I laugh, to myself, here, alone.

Advertisement