Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do uou think an old camper would break for spares?

• 08-05-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

A mate has an '88 (or thereabouts) Highwayman Motorhome , looks like a scruffier version of this

%21CFtg9PQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKpgE0VlzV%28nPBNW%21,hbRbg%7E%7E_35.JPG

, it got a puck in the front LHS , and did a bit of damage to the front of the wing . It's got the Peugeot/Talbot 2.5 D in it , we were just wondering would it likely break for spares? He only got it to get some bits for his van conversion , but the windows etc are all still in it .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macan

Cant see why it woundnt Aidan. You could be on to something there.A great big Motorhome breakers yard is what we need.......
    Someone doing a conversion would get loads of bits from something like that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Shouldn't find it difficult to shift a load of stuff from that van I wouldn't imagine.

Incidentally, why not try to repair it instead?, or was there never any intention of using it as a road van, and just a donor?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

aidan
    my neighbour is looking for a
    (1) brake master cylinder (4 bolt)
    (2) gearbox mount
    (3) manifold down pipe (piece between flexi joint & manifold)
    and a few other bits and pieces all for a 1990 hymer a class
    with peugeot 2.5 straight,
    if he breaks it give me a shout and ill get his details off you and pass them on,

just as a matter of intrest do you go away in the vans often or are you glad to see the back of them until you clock in monday morning?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    A mate has an '88 (or thereabouts) Highwayman Motorhome , looks like a scruffier version of this

%21CFtg9PQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKpgE0VlzV%28nPBNW%21,hbRbg%7E%7E_35.JPG

, it got a puck in the front LHS , and did a bit of damage to the front of the wing . It's got the Peugeot/Talbot 2.5 D in it , we were just wondering would it likely break for spares? He only got it to get some bits for his van conversion , but the windows etc are all still in it .
    aidan
    (2) gearbox mount
    if he breaks it give me a shout and ill get his details off you and pass them on,

just as a matter of intrest do you go away in the vans often or are you glad to see the back of them until you clock in monday morning?

That's a pretty fast turnaround for someone trying to sell it I think....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

AAAgh! Friend has been looking for this engine for 9 months! Finally imported one from Germany a couple of weeks ago- quite reasonable too (and freight cost was incredibly low). Would much prefer to have found it locally and been able to check it before purchase.
    Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Incidentally, why not try to repair it instead?, or was there never any intention of using it as a road van, and just a donor?
    he only ever wanted it for parts , I would prob repair it, but neither of us has the time , what with various classic car/rally car projects.....
    aidan
    (2) gearbox mount

Ok , I'll check that with him so.

I work 6 days a week , 9-7ish Mon-Fri , 9.30-5 Saturdays , and I don't really take holidays, so I don't get much chance! If I'm rallying far from home , I usually bring a 'Van to stay in . I'd love to get away more often in them though .
    dowtchaboy wrote: »
    AAAgh! Friend has been looking for this engine for 9 months! Finally imported one from Germany a couple of weeks ago- quite reasonable too (and freight cost was incredibly low). Would much prefer to have found it locally and been able to check it before purchase.
    Oh well.

Blooming typical! I've been after this mate for months to take engine bay pics , he thought it was a Fiat.. I had to drive up to it yesterday to see for myself . And 100% it's a Talbot/Peugeot .

he's to call later , so I'll try pin him down on if he's gonna break it . Watch this space....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

i'd try to shift it in complete units so you don't end up with loads of bits e.g. front suspension units complete with hubs, pair of complete driveshafts, complete exhaust, etc. When people break them into tiny bits it take 10 times longer to offload the stuff.
    You'll should certainly have no difficulty offloading that engine nd gearbox and probably the gearlinkage too.

paddyp wrote: »
    i'd try to shift it in complete units so you don't end up with loads of bits e.g. front suspension units complete with hubs, pair of complete driveshafts, complete exhaust, etc. When people break them into tiny bits it take 10 times longer to offload the stuff.
    You'll should certainly have no difficulty offloading that engine nd gearbox and probably the gearlinkage too.

dhera , I don't really mind Paddy , I'd raid it for lots of bits mysself here , in work . I've often been looking for random clips , brackets , handles etc . And I have space to keep it . Of course...if someone made an offer...lol

Of course...if someone made an offer...lol

Why you gotta go and say a thing like that................. now you got me thinking......

MUST RESIST URGE...... MUST RESIST URGE....

• Advertisement

I do you special friendly price! lol

Right , the deal has been struck , and I'll have it for stripping soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭joed571

Does it have a window roller blind about 1350mm long. if not do you know where i would get one.

And I have space to keep it

Stop bragging, I'm jealous :(:D

Actually I have the space too but unfortunately it comes with a wife ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Stop bragging, I'm jealous :(:D

Actually I have the space too but unfortunately it comes with a wife ...
    They take up more space, just tell her it's a wardrop extension

PS don't bleame me if you end up living in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I thought the Old Camper was running for President? :D

ooo clever reference!

Joe . I'll look when I see it next.

Paddy , the benefit of being single , with a house out the country!]

I'm feeling a little slow today, is that a reference to David Norris?

Paddy , the benefit of being single , with a house out the country!]

Well to be fair to her theres a very rusty unsightly ducato at the side of the house at the moment I started cutting out the sills thinking I'd get away with the outer sill but castle section and inner sill are gone too.

I'm tempted to run a box section down the side. When you're doing sills what do you do with the castle sections? Actually castle section is a prticularly classic car term I mean the middle sill.

I'm feeling a little slow today, is that a reference to David Norris?
    it's an in-joke , related to POTUS ;)

I'm tempted to run a box section down the side. When you're doing sills what do you do with the castle sections? Actually castle section is a prticularly classic car term I mean the middle sill.
    never had to do one tbh:confused:

never had to do one tbh:confused:

Cheers, after more cutting away of rusty material I think this one is destined for scrap too. All drainage channels were blocked at least partially due to a respray and underseal. Must have been a hundred liters of water sitting in the sills for years, theres a tide mark!

• Advertisement

Cheers, after more cutting away of rusty material I think this one is destined for scrap too. All drainage channels were blocked at least partially due to a respray and underseal. Must have been a hundred liters of water sitting in the sills for years, theres a tide mark!

Is that, possibly destined for scrap, or have you decided to break it?

i.ve a 96 shape panel van , would that be any good to you Paddy , for a sill ? Yours is that shape isn't it?

i.ve a 96 shape panel van , would that be any good to you Paddy , for a sill ? Yours is that shape isn't it?

Thanks Aidan its not worth the hassle I picked it up as a project for a couple of hundred euro I'd get that back from hammond lane to crush it and find a less rotten one. Or better still find a better hobby :-D

lol... I wish sometimes it was only a hobby!

Advertisement