Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lag issue

• 08-05-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

iv been getting a lot of lag recently when i play battlefield mainly, when i tested the connection i was getting d/l speeds of 10mb and ping was only 25 but yet it was unplayably laggy. as far as i know my nat type is open.
    are there any other causes or ways of finding out what the problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

No idea. Pretty sure BF:BC2 (is that what game you're talking about?) has dedicated servers

I have an AWFUL connection, and it even runs pretty smooth for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I agree with Healium, BC2 is generally one of the most lag free games out there due to the dedicated servers. However, that's not to say that it doesn't lag occasionally. It can only be as good as the worst connection to it, so if some git joins your local server from across the other side of the world with poor ping times and a crappy connection consistency, then he'll ruin it for everyone.

Things to look out for that effect your gaming connection:

• Other laptops, PCs and programs using up your bandwidth while gaming. For example, a sibling or partner in another room watching video clips on YouTube, this will suck up your bandwidth and cause you to have a laggy connection.
    • Make sure your WiFi is secure, especially if you are with Eircom. Change your password and encryption types to the most secure possible. Your neighbour(s) just love that free WiFi ;)
    • Turn off all programs on your and anyone else's laptop/PC that may be using bandwidth ie. bit-torrents programs etc.
    • Get into the habit of plugging out your router completely for 60 seconds before turning on your Xbox 360. This will ensure your router isn't IP flooded and has freshly installed firmware. You'd be surprised how many people think a router never needs to be switched off regularly.

If anyone else can add to the list above, please do so. I've got to go to work and have to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

i use the 3 broadband dongle and dont get one bit of lag with it even though the download speeds are pretty slow with it. i reckon it must be something to do with your pc settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I was having some problems with Live over the past few days so to attempt to diagnose the problems i tried turning on the traffic monitoring feature on my router, after doing so and leaving it do its thing i noticed that the upload was massive (other users in the house torrenting), like 40% of the traffic for a 30down 3 up connection thats not good, so what i did was turn on a feature on my router that caps upstream speed to what ever you specify (i set mine to 512Kb/s per device) been smooth ever since :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

Meesared wrote: »
    I was having some problems with Live over the past few days so to attempt to diagnose the problems i tried turning on the traffic monitoring feature on my router, after doing so and leaving it do its thing i noticed that the upload was massive (other users in the house torrenting), like 40% of the traffic for a 30down 3 up connection thats not good, so what i did was turn on a feature on my router that caps upstream speed to what ever you specify (i set mine to 512Kb/s per device) been smooth ever since :)

Thanks for the replies. I know it's not anyone torrenting so the only bandwidth use would be YouTube i think, after that I have no idea what it could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Having a router with QoS (quality of service) helps alot, it basically allows you to prioritise traffic by type/port/mac address

Advertisement