Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Facial Hair and Hats

• 08-05-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I started a thread on FH&H where I explained that I had bought a particular brand of Irish handmade shaving soap and had 'suprise' results with it and that I was willing to post out (at my own expense) a slice of it with anyone who was willing to write up a review on the forum. I made it clear I was in no way connected with the company (in fact I hate this soap but wanted to give some positive comments back to the company so they can improve it, I didn't want to influence the reviews)

Here is the post: (I cannot link as the entire thread has been deleted)

Hi All,

I'm no stranger to boards but first post here.

I'm back to traditional shaving with a vengance - now shaving every or every other with vintage straights I'm learning how to hone/restore...and I have to say I'm loving it. Gourmet Shaving

Anyhoo - like most converts I'm a victim of SAD, not to mention the RAD.

My current rotation/accquistions of soaps are;
    TOBS Sandalwood soap
    TOBS Sandalwood cream
    L'Occitane Cade cream
    Palmolive shave stick

Now on the hunt for soaps I heard great things about Mamabear soaps: but the shipping costs at $8 a lb put me off somewhat. So I decide to look for an Irish handmade product. Shop local, save the planet etc. Lo and behold;

IMAGE of SOAP

This stuff is Irish, handmade, “We believe in using only the finest natural ingredients, making new stuff the old fashioned way” and relatively cheap (€4.50)

http://www.thehandmadesoapcompany.ie/our_story.html

They seem quite new to this but all arrived promptly, I tried the soap today and it all was a bit of a suprise! (Mysterious voice: I'm not going to go into details just yet)

In the interests of the 'community' I'm prepared to do a bit of an experiment and I will send a little sliver sample of this soap (within Ireland) to anyone who will do a review here and let me (us!) know what they think of it. As anything but a lather expert I'd be interested to hear the views of the lathermeisters here. I'll post my own when the others go up.

Any takers PM me an address to send this to...(Limit of 10 please - it's a smallish bar)

DISCLAIMER: I in no way am connected with this soap company or related to them, I'm not shilling or pimping or promoting this stuff in any way. Mods feel free to lock/delete if this gives you any discomfort (the thread not the soap!!)

The thread got some responses on Wednesday - and Dord added some comments about being careful who you send your address to, I replied fully supporting his comments, but also pointing out I was a boardsie since 2003 with 2000+ posts and 100% on adverts, plus giving two well know boards admins who know me personally.

On Wednesday night I got an template PM to say I was banned with no reason given (PM a mod) - I responded to ask why but got no response.

Could I ask a cmod to investigate why I was banned on Wednesday (7 day ban). I have PM'd the mod in question 3 times over 3 days (I checked if the mod was online on each occasion) - I have also asked another FH&H mod on Friday to investigate and he said he was unable to assist because of RL issues but that he would ask another mod to help out. Nothing since.

The seven day ban doesn't bother me but I do feel that as a longstanding boardsie a response on the ban would have been nice, I have just gotten into cutthroat shaving and wanted to contribute something to this forum and highlight an Irish shaving product with the intention of improving it - it would be nice to buy Irish. I don't feel I deserved a ban and the thread deleted like I'm some random spambot. It just felt rude and uncalled for and the stony silence from the mod since rubbed that in. If the cmods uphold this I would like this ban off my 'record' as it were...

By the way I did send out one sliver of soap and the review can be seen in the forum in the thread Irish handmade soap review. It was also posted to another traditional shaving forum here;

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=205940&page=21

I can post the PM's if necessary but await the cmods response. Thanks guys...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Admins this has been resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

g'em - this hasn't been resolved.

Although I am now in contact with the mod via PM and I have been unbanned by that mod; I'm still waiting for his public response explaining the ban, why a thread I started was deleted and the reversal of the decision to ban me from the forum. I'm not being anal about this, but this is my boards reputation - something I do care about. I would just like it stated that the ban decision has been reversed; and this hasn't yet been done.

MadsL wrote: »
    g'em - this hasn't been resolved.

Although I am now in contact with the mod via PM and I have been unbanned by that mod; I'm still waiting for his public response explaining the ban, why a thread I started was deleted and the reversal of the decision to ban me from the forum. I'm not being anal about this, but this is my boards reputation - something I do care about. I would just like it stated that the ban decision has been reversed; and this hasn't yet been done.

If you're in contact with the Mod you don't need to bring this here. This forum is when you and the Mod can't resolve things between you and he has no obligation to publically declare anything.

The forum Mods contacted me about your ban, we discussed it, your ban was reduced, you're now back posting FH&H and you'll get an explanation in due course from the forum Mod.

So for the record your ban has been shortened, not reversed, and in future if you wish to give things away on the forum I suggest you contact the Mods beforehand and run it by them as the site has very strict rules on advertising and shilling for a reason.

So for the record your ban has been shortened, not reversed,

Where does that fit in the binary DR process (middle ground??) Either I deserved a ban or not. Is shortening a ban upholding the mod decision or the appeal. Do you think I deserved a ban? I didn't break any forum rule.

In fact, have you read my thread?
    the site has very strict rules on advertising and shilling for a reason.

I made it explicitly clear that I wasn't shilling and was not connected with the company at all, and I was in fact seeking a second opinion on a bad product before I complained about it publically, I didn't give my opinion up front so as not to influence the review.
    If you're in contact with the Mod you don't need to bring this here.

I wasn't in contact with the mod when I opened this thread, when I did - he got in contact. He also told me a cmod would PM me - I assume that was you. I haven't got your PM yet.

I have been trying to resolve this with the mod privately (notice I haven't named the mod concerned)

The only reason I am post here now is that you say this is resolved - it isn't.
    This forum is when you and the Mod can't resolve things between you and he has no obligation to publically declare anything.

Nothing has been resolved with the mod or it appears with you; what I have had is "oh the cmod say you'll be unbanned Friday" and then when I asked if the decison had been reversed was told I had been unbanned.

Effectively the two of you have said 'mumble mumble' oh here have a half-ban. The reason I have been given is that I *might* have been shilling.

Now according to the process at the top of this page - either I am banned or not. If not remove the ban and state that the mod decision has been reversed by the cmod and remove that from my record or else uphold the ban and I'll appeal to an admin as I do not believe I have breached the forum charter or any site rules.

Any other decision is outside of the process.

MadsL you are not banned - you posted in FH&H today :) What exactly are you looking for here?

There's no mumbling on my part - I've been quite clear on what happened.

You were banned for seven days and you disputed this and PM'd the Mod. The Mods of the forum contacted me and I suggested that the ban was lifted. I don't believe that you were shilling. The ban was lifted after three and you are posting there now. Sometimes these things happen, it's not a sleight against you, or against the Mods or agaisnt anyone involved. They erred on teh side of caution, no more than that but it was corrected at the earliest possible opportunity.

All I'm saying is that in future out of courtesy perhpas PM the Mods if you want to give stuff away on the forum, purely out of politeness - we have to be wary of such things and it's immensely helpful to us if posters are upfront about what they are doing, partiuclarly ones who've been with us for a few years like you have.

You are no longer banned so it's resolved yes?

• Advertisement

MadsL you are not banned
    So for the record your ban has been shortened, not reversed,

To be clear

Now my 'record' reads;

2004 Banned from politics 14 days for personal abuse (melon fúcking famously)
    2011 Banned from FH&H for 6 days for shilling
    What exactly are you looking for here?

This is what I'm looking for;

2004 Banned from politics 14 days
    2011 Banned from FH&H for 6 days for shilling Decision reversed

Is it that really hard to understand that i would like the ban overturned not 'shortened'. I'm not asking for a time machine, just the nod that I should not have been banned and the ban expunged.

Well that's something that's down to the more technically minded folks - I don't know if it's possible to do that. And you don't need to be short about it, generally people are happy to have the ban lifted, I understand fine what you're asking for now. As for whether it's do-able is a different story.

I understand fine what you're asking for now. As for whether it's do-able is a different story.

Ok, I'm sorry if that isn't the process, or technically this isn't the way it is done. :o

Given a forum that is the pram, I hope I'm not throwing toys out of it. I just feel that there is a big difference between forgiveness (you can now post, go and sin no more) and aquittal (you have been tried by your peers and found not guilty, "Thank you judge") - and if I think about it I might wanna throw some atonement in the mix.

See where I'm coming from? (and apologies if this is a whole other can of worms)

I'm off for a shave whilst you (and anyone else) figures out how this all works. :D:D:D

(anyone got any nice soap, this one I have is crap!)
    And you don't need to be short about it

I'm sorry if it feel 'short' - didn't mean to be; thank you for trying to resolve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

In work now. Will look into this tonight when I get home.

*cough*

Any chance of looking at this anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Sorry had to pull a business trip. Just back. Will look into it tomorrow for you.

Thanks, appreciate that. Thought you might be away, forgive the nudge.

Guys, I believe I raised the issue of how to record a ban being overturned;

Could anyone shed any light on if this has been facilitated...

I genuinely do not want a ban for shilling against my name. Any thoughts?

Two months later - any ideas?? Should I post on feedback???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Two months later - any ideas?? Should I post on feedback???

The ban is over.
    It no longer says you were banned for shilling.
    This has been resolved and there is nothing else that can be done afaik.

The ban is over.
    It no longer says you were banned for shilling.

Hi Beruthiel,

Thanks for taking a look, really appreciate it. Just to be clear does my 'record' say:

"Banned from FH&H for Shilling" Expired
    Or Banned from FH&H - Expired
    Or nothing?

Thanks again...

Err...just a question here. Yesterday, someone posted a unsolicited message of support as a reply to this thread. It was deleted. Just wondering why? Are third parties not allowed to post in this thread unless they are mod or above?

Also, if someone could please answer my question I'd be grateful.

Is there any record of my ban from FH&H?

Thanks you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Err...just a question here. Yesterday, someone posted a unsolicited message of support as a reply to this thread. It was deleted. Just wondering why? Are third parties not allowed to post in this thread unless they are mod or above?

You're nearly right. Mods aren't allowed to contribute without being asked to directly. In general it's only the party involved and cmods and occasionally an admin.
    Also, if someone could please answer my question I'd be grateful.

Is there any record of my ban from FH&H?

Thanks you. :)

Your user history states that you were banned and that the ban was manually lifted. There is no other detail on the ban.

Advertisement