Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to turn water off

• 08-05-2011 11:25pm

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me how to turn the water off in my house so I can fit two new taps in the sink in the toilet? I don't particularly want to pay a plumber to do this rather simple task...

I know there's a valve that turns off either the hot or the cold (can't remember just now and the babys asleep so cant go up checking!!) located in the hotpress.. but not sure how to turn off the other feed.

Someone mentioned having to drain your tank in attic? Is this true??

Any help much appreciated..

B :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Stop The cold feed in the attic coming from the tank.

The hot feed should be the lower stopcock in the hot press the higher one is the feed coming into the cylinder.

Run the taps in the sink and when they are off you turned the right stop cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

We turned off the ones in the hotpress last week to change the stop cock in the cistern. There should be another thing in the footpath outside your house but I think that's the one where you will need to drain the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Sinks in Toilets are fed via internal tanks - cold tap from the tank in your attic, hot tap from the cylinder in your hot-press. To turn the supply off there should be gate valves in the hot-press (they are red). You will then need to drain the cold tank and depending on the location of the valve on the hot cylinder, that may need draining too. To drain them simply let the taps in your toilets run. Your kitchen cold tap is fed from the mains so running it won't help draining! Alternatively there are freezing kits available in DIY stores that will freeze the pipes you want to work on i.e. the pipes in the toilet connected to the taps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Had same problem few weeks ago.

Hot water is in hotpress red valve 5281-bronze-marine-valve-jis-screw-check-globe-1.jpg

Cold in attic easiest way i found is to fix the ballcock in a way it stays up and the water stops coming.

Turn on taps and let the tank empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Did you check to see if there were any isolation valves in the pedestial?

Its unlikely but there might be some there, they are like a 310 instantor (a straight fitting) with a nib in it that with a half turn shuts off the water, some are on a flexi pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

brianios wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me how to turn the water off in my house so I can fit two new taps in the sink in the toilet? I don't particularly want to pay a plumber to do this rather simple task...

I know there's a valve that turns off either the hot or the cold (can't remember just now and the babys asleep so cant go up checking!!) located in the hotpress.. but not sure how to turn off the other feed.

Someone mentioned having to drain your tank in attic? Is this true??

Any help much appreciated..

B :)

If you don't even know how to turn the water off then mabey you should get a plumber to do the job .
    But if you are sure that you want to do the job it would be a good idea to fit isolation valves on the pipework feeding the taps .

Advertisement