Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM - How many phones can it text ?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

How many phones can a HKC GSM unit text with an alert ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Satts wrote: »
    How many phones can a HKC GSM unit text with an alert ?

It can text up to 19 phones but please note adding this many phones will use a lot of credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but on a related note I was just wondering whether that unit allows you to do things such as reset/arm/disarm/etc?
    Or am I right in thinking that it only transmits texts?
    Thanks.

drBill wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but on a related note I was just wondering whether that unit allows you to do things such as reset/arm/disarm/etc?
    Or am I right in thinking that it only transmits texts?
    Thanks.

The HKC GSM used with the HKC system will allow you text the unit to arm/disarm, turn on lights/heating from the controlled outputs plus monitor the alarm. It will also send the second activation on your alarm system, so if you have a pir installed on the system and an intruder does break the beam on the pir you will get a second text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jack34

Whem using a Hkc GSM unit to get texts when my alarm goes off do i also need a text dailer

jack34 wrote: »
    Whem using a Hkc GSM unit to get texts when my alarm goes off do i also need a text dailer

There is no need for the modem text card unless you want to use your land line to get text alerts.
    The HKC GSM does all this without the text modem card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jack34

Thanks for your help

jack34 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help

Your welcome, always happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Hi,

Apologies, jumping in here. I have a HKC SecureWatch Alarm System for which I bought a GSM-P unit. Just wondering what I need to connect it up - is it literally just a 4-way ribbon cable as seen here? How much would you expect to pay for this cable?

158710.jpg

What about the 2 small PCB's that came with it...are these needed?

158709.jpg

Many Thanks,
    M

Instead of using the ribbon lead you use the 2 4 core clips that you have beside the GSM-P. It is connected the same way in each unit.

You will also need to connect 12v from the panels 12v to the GSM-P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

And now I'm really hijacking it! Hadn't seen pics or diagrams of this before so I'm curious about the fact that the landline from the modem card is routed through the GSM unit. Is this so that the GSM device can detect tampering of the landline and transmit an alert? And if so, can it do the inverse, ie send an alert via the landline if it detects interference to the GSM signal?

Also curious about those two small PCBs.

Thanks for the info so far, finding this thread very interesting.

drBill wrote: »
    And now I'm really hijacking it! Hadn't seen pics or diagrams of this before so I'm curious about the fact that the landline from the modem card is routed through the GSM unit. Is this so that the GSM device can detect tampering of the landline and transmit an alert? And if so, can it do the inverse, ie send an alert via the landline if it detects interference to the GSM signal?

Also curious about those two small PCBs.

Thanks for the info so far, finding this thread very interesting.

If you are using the GSM plus land line for monitoring the alarm through a monitoring station then the two would be used. Once the panel has a line it wont report a fail of either. All panels do the same as they are only looking for voltage on the line, not a tone which is a draw back if the line is cut and voltage is applied.

The two PCBs are for the panel to communicate with the panel. They are used over the ribbon lead as the lead is restricted in size.

altor wrote: »
    Instead of using the ribbon lead you use the 2 4 core clips that you have beside the GSM-P. It is connected the same way in each unit.

Thanks for the quick reply altor. Ok I see where the two small PCB's go now. So no cables needed, just regular wire?

mhtc wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply altor. Ok I see where the two small PCB's go now. So no cables needed, just regular wire?

Your welcome,
    6 core alarm cable between the panel and the GSM is all that is needed. Four cores for the PCBs and 2 cores for the power.

Any problems let me know.

altor wrote: »
    Your welcome,
    6 core alarm cable between the panel and the GSM is all that is needed. Four cores for the PCBs and 2 cores for the power.

Any problems let me know.

Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on.

mhtc wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on.

Make sure you down power the alarm system before you connect up the GSM. Once both are then powered up it is only a matter of going into engineering and programming the address plus phone numbers you want the alarm to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Hi - How much is the HKC GSM-P and where is the cheapest place to buy ?

The HKC GSM-P is €320 in REW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Very helpful advice altor.

Generally, do people set it up to text a few people (e.g the owners and maybe another family member) as soon as it's triggered, or can it be set to text the family member if the owner doesn't reply with a reset text? Just wondering how programmable it is.

Most will put 3 numbers into the GSM, family, neighbours. It can take 19 but your credit wont last too long with the GSM texting that many. The GSM will send a text to all programmed numbers at the same time of the alarm activation. It can also be set up to text different events to the different users.

• Advertisement

Hi guys - sorry to hijack post but maybe you can help?? Going to pick up one of these gsm units next week.. Just wondering how easy/difficult it is to set it up so as you can remotely turn off a light or the heating??? How many outputs does it let you control? Any advice or diagrams welcome!! Getting some work done at home at the mo so would be great time to run any extra cable/wire that may be needed?? Thanks

Hi guys - sorry to hijack post but maybe you can help?? Going to pick up one of these gsm units next week.. Just wondering how easy/difficult it is to set it up so as you can remotely turn off a light or the heating??? How many outputs does it let you control? Any advice or diagrams welcome!! Getting some work done at home at the mo so would be great time to run any extra cable/wire that may be needed?? Thanks

What you need is a 12v - 240v relay rated for whatever device you plan to control. The GSM has 4 outputs that you can control. A 4 core alarm cable needs to be brought from the relay, usually beside the device your planning to control to the GSM. Once the GSM is set up for home automation it is easy to set up as you are just texting the output.

Advertisement