Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American accent in waterford?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

BazBox wrote: »
    and you know this how? im assuming you've spoken to every single person on the dunmore road? Grew up in an estate there and I can honestly say I have never come across anyone who had an American accent!

did you ever leave your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Monfoolio wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I peed a little when I read these posts!! Funny!:D

Not at all. Swap places with the missus and leave her the damp patch. Its all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

dazftw wrote: »
    We call lads from Tramore Tramericans... I don't know why tbh :p

Heard the place is full of Wexicans in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

There is a full on invasion of the Yanks going on in PC World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

deisemum wrote: »
    I haven't heard an american accent from anyone living on the Dunmore Road apart from on an American visiting.

Id have to say the same.. Im a Dub living in Waterford for 11 years, I lived on the Dunmore road for about 5 of those years in a few different areas and top of the town for 6 years again in a few different areas of town, and have never heard the american accent...

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

kkdela6 wrote: »
    did you ever leave your house?

not much, the american weather was too much for me to handle...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Heathen wrote: »
    Id have to say the same.. Im a Dub living in Waterford for 11 years, I lived on the Dunmore road for about 5 of those years in a few different areas and top of the town for 6 years again in a few different areas of town, and have never heard the american accent...

Shucks

American accents on the Dunmore Road.......another 3 minutes out the road and they sound like The Riordans

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Yeah I've noticed down in Kings Channel its all Mommy and Daoddy! They think there living in California (the posh part you see on telly) or else they think there the next cast of Skins characters! Drives me up the wall the way they try look down on you and what not but its easy enough to bring em back to earth when you know what to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

it's all down to tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I used to think I was hearing an american accent, but then they finished what they were saying with "....boi" so it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It should be Australian accents they should be practising considering they'll have to move there when they leave college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I suppose its mostly teenagers and such that have that accent.

There's one girl in particular which brought this topic to mind. I referred to her one day in conversation as the american girl only to be told that she was from woodstown.....

The accent exists for sure. Its amazing how in the space of a couple of miles we can go from a proper waterford accent to american.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

dermo909 wrote: »
    I suppose its mostly teenagers and such that have that accent.

There's one girl in particular which brought this topic to mind. I referred to her one day in conversation as the american girl only to be told that she was from woodstown.....

The accent exists for sure. Its amazing how in the space of a couple of miles we can go from a proper waterford accent to american.

and as you continue on out the road you come to a total bogger accent - particularly under the bridge in Jack Meades front bar:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Its simply called TV-talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

I suppose we should be grateful that it isn't that nasty Dortspeak that the Deefers on RTE use. It is so bad sometimes that I have to turn on teletext subtitles. :)

There is a more subtle Amercianisation of accents in Waterford and it is the uptalk at the end of a sentence where the pitch rises slightly as if the speaker is asking a question. But that has been going on for years and is due to the dominance of US programming on television.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

Yeats college comes to mind............rofl

And what makes it worse they have made Tawdy wave the American flag on the Tramore road road!!

Next thing we know he'l be out by Oscars!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeats college comes to mind............rofl

And what makes it worse they have made Tawdy wave the American flag on the Tramore road road!!

Next thing we know he'l be out by Oscars!!!!!!!

He's almost there, I've seen him out by the hospital a lot recently unless I'm thinking of someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

deisemum wrote: »
    He's almost there, I've seen him out by the hospital a lot recently unless I'm thinking of someone else.

Yeah. Tawdy is taking a Vacation:rolleyes:.

Advertisement