Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age should you replace Formula (Aptamil/Cow & Gate, etc) with cow's milk?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering at what age is it recommended to replace Formula with cow's milk? I notice that Aptamil have started doing a 2Yr+ Formula, but surely cow's milk is perfectly adequate by this stage in a toddler's developement?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They say 1 and you can use cows milk from 6 months on cereal and stuff.
    Formula companies are commercial and if they can sell 2+ milk they will.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Apparently it's 2 now. According to my PHN and those of a few others.

We're still using formula (7-10 ounces per day) but are gradually cutting it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Still 12 months according to my PHN... and can be used in food from 6 months too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Mine were put on cows milk at 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Finishing off this box of Apt*m*l now and buying no more. The wee man will in 1 in 2 weeks and has been having cow's milk (in cereal and mash) since he was 6/7 months. He was on 21 oz a day and I just replaced one of the formula cups with cow's milk, then a few weeks later replaced the second one and now we're down to one. No problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

At about 11.5 months we started making Megans bottles with half cows milk and half formula, within a week she was on just cows milk and seemed to enjoy it far more than formula!

The recommendation is to have them on cows milk from 12 months. Never heard of it being 2 years. I personally wouldn't get sucked in to buying the 'follow on milks' as I feel it is just a money making thing for the formula companies. A well balanced diet should be all your child needs to thrive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I'm planning on moving him onto cows milk at 12mths well half formula half cows at 11.5 and full cows around the 12mths he is nearly 9mths at present

quick question though do i have to add extra things to it my sister was insisting that i do as it doesnt have the correct nutrients that he needs or the correct amount of iron so slightly worried about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

edellc wrote: »
    I'm planning on moving him onto cows milk at 12mths well half formula half cows at 11.5 and full cows around the 12mths he is nearly 9mths at present

quick question though do i have to add extra things to it my sister was insisting that i do as it doesnt have the correct nutrients that he needs or the correct amount of iron so slightly worried about that

As said before, all the nutrients and iron will got from a well balanced diet.
    The body only uses whatever nutrients and iron it needs, everything else is passed through.
    There was a program on BBC a while back about follow on milk and its only a money making racket, plus it contains alot of stuff they dont actually need ie sodium & sweeteners etc.
    Most green veg contains iron ie brocolli, and the best way to cook this is by steaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

We started our daughter on cows milk just before 1 year, we used and still use cows milk alongside 2 formula bottles (Formula first thing but cows milk on her breakfast and with lunch and formula bottle again before bed) as we found with the formula she was less prone to colds (she caught only 1 bout of sniffles despite being out and about in the freezing weather with us), while we were plagued with colds/flus all winter long.

it has done no harm to her to still have her bottles of formula, she'll take cows milk when ever we give it to her, she drinks out of a glass during the day (22 months now) so as long as we can afford it we will continue to give it to her along with her balanced diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Edellc - your sister is probably succombing to the misleading advertising from formula companies that try to scare Mums into thinking that the food they prepare is not healthy enough. As PPs have said, toddler milks are a scam - suddenly developed once formula companies were banned from advertising infant powders. Coincidence?

A well balanced diet contains sufficient nutrients and iron for children, as it does for adults.

Cow's milk can be given from one year of age, but it should be limited as too much milk can hinder the absorption of iron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement