Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO)

• 09-05-2011 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with their cat or dog having this surgery? It is common for hip dysplasia in pure-bred dogs and cats.

Our cat was hit by a car last week and dislocated his hip. He got hit in the morning (so the vet thinks) and dragged himself home to wait for me - he's so good.

He has this surgery last week, it's where they cut off the ball part of the ball and socket joint and then let the muscles grow back on to it to create a "false joint". He had the srgery and came home for the weekend, he looks in a bad way and just slept all weekend. He has to have another surgery today because the vet wants to remove more bone to reduce the pain he will be in. We're hoping to have him home again tonight to begin his recovery.

Has anyone been through this? I'm interested in what recovery was like and how long it took? He needs to be kept confined for two weeks and then inside for another 6 weeks. I think we'll have to do physical therapy with him but apparently it's very hard to do with cats because, unlike dogs, you can't just take him for a walk. The vet says he'll always have a bit of a limp and is likely to get arthritis when he is older. I'm just glad he had no internal injuries and it wasn't worse.

It's been a very horrible few days and I hate seeing him in such a bad way. I just feel so helpless :(

Advertisement