Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking in bicycle parking areas

• 09-05-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Is it generally ok to park a motorbike in city bicycle parking spots? Also, is there any map/list of bike parking spots? I'm in Cork by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Whereabouts do you mean, duderino? There's tons of motorcycle spaces on Patrick Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Nowhere in particular, I was just wondering. Out of interest, any parking spots on MacCurtain Street or Patrick's Quay? Emmet Place is the closest that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would be more worried about some idiot damaging my bike with their push bike than getting a parking ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A guy from Dublin City County Council was on The Right Hook a few years ago and said bicycle parking bays were also for motorbikes. Personally, I wouldn't park at one. I have parked near them, but handier to just park on the path somewhere. If you want to lock to something, there's poles everywhere. And I don't mean the swan eating kind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A guy from Dublin City County Council was on The Right Hook a few years ago and said bicycle parking bays were also for motorbikes. Personally, I wouldn't park at one. I have parked near them, but handier to just park on the path somewhere. If you want to lock to something, there's poles everywhere. And I don't mean the swan eating kind
    Isn't it illegal to park on the path in urban areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

daveyjoe wrote: »

As long as its not in the way of pedestrians its ok AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

correct, but generally given a blind eye if its not obnoxiously parked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's illegal to park on the path anywhere. But in Dublin it's also illegal to park a bike in the car bays, you'll get a ticket for parking in one.

Once you're not blocking the path for buggies/wheelchairs or access you're OK and while illegal it's done with an official nod and wink! Since we'd be taking away revenue parking on the road or they'd have to pay for proper bike bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's always a CBF1000 parked on the footpath outside the Savoy. Yes- that's adjacent to one of the several motorcycle-only sections on Patrick st :rolleyes: There's motorcycle parking at the end of the South Mall.

There's permanently a DNA and a K1200R on Particks Hill, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have only once in my life ever been given a ticket for parking on a path, and that was parking an MZ Simson on the Median on O'Connell St in the 80's The only reason I chased after the warden and called him a fxuking boll*x to his face was because the idiot took down my registration details wrong. LOL.

You can be done parking on the path or in car parking bays if there is motorcycle parking in the area. If there isn't you can technically get away with in court.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

I spoke to a parking warden only last week in Armagh about this very issue and he said he couldn't give a ticket to a motorbike parked on a footpath (unless it was parked near the kerb) as he said that was private property!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 speks121

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's illegal to park on the path anywhere. But in Dublin it's also illegal to park a bike in the car bays, you'll get a ticket for parking in one.

Once you're not blocking the path for buggies/wheelchairs or access you're OK and while illegal it's done with an official nod and wink! Since we'd be taking away revenue parking on the road or they'd have to pay for proper bike bays.
    I walked up to parking inspecter eyeing up my bike in dublin and he told me to park my bike in the car spaces, he said its better than on the path

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I was in Tipperary a few weeks ago and had my bike parked up on the path, wasn't in anyone's way, parking warden came along and I asked him if it was ok where I parked and he said "yeah that's grand, no bother".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Do you guys generally chain your bike to something? The only chain I own is a cycle bike chain :o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i just got back from a job in town (dublin), and i parked on the street attached to a poll across the road from a Garda station and 3 Gardai walked passed and didn't bat an eye lid.. i guess if your not in anyones way you'll get left alone.

speks121 wrote: »
    I walked up to parking inspecter eyeing up my bike in dublin and he told me to park my bike in the car spaces, he said its better than on the path

It may be better for him as then he can ticket it.
    Do you guys generally chain your bike to something? The only chain I own is a cycle bike chain :o

It's always better to lock to something, if there's no solid object lock onto another bike chain. And invest in a better chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »
    .. But in Dublin it's also illegal to park a bike in the car bays, you'll get a ticket for parking in one.

Eh - since when are parking bays 'car' parking bays ?? Nowhere on those blue P signs does it say 'Car', nor in a multi-storey. I mean, does this mean I couldn't park my Caddy/Van/Pickup/SUV there either, because they're NOT cars ??
    You can be done parking on the path or in car parking bays if there is motorcycle parking in the area. If there isn't you can technically get away with in court.

What's the legal definition of 'in the area' ?

Years ago, myself and Mrs Gtt were refused entry to a Corpo-partnered multi-storey, on our Vespa's.

This 'oaf' bellowed out of the intercom at the barrier, probably watching us on cctv, 'no motorbikes allowed', and then iirc, 'no ****ing motorbikes allowed'. Fair enough, we got off our bikes, put them on the centrestand(s), and knocked of the engines..........and sat there..........didn't take long for a long queue of cars to build up behind..... :) ........those who know the 'Roches Stores' / Debenhams car park in Galway know how that could happen.........

Long story short, barrier opened, and in we went. Went in to do shopping, make a bee-line for the manager, told him of the hullah outside, and he apologised, validated our parking for free..........and then he made a bee-line to chew the arse of the 'oaf' mentioned earlier. You should have seen the look on oaf's face at the booth on the way out.

Sometimes we really do lie down too much..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Eh - since when are parking bays 'car' parking bays ?? Nowhere on those blue P signs does it say 'Car', nor in a multi-storey. I mean, does this mean I couldn't park my Caddy/Van/Pickup/SUV there either, because they're NOT cars ??
    Well here's Dublin City Council's legal stance, click the link for the 2010 parking by laws.
    Motor cycles and pedal cycles prohibited from parking in pay and display ticket parking places
    1. A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place.

What's the legal definition of 'in the area' ?

Years ago, myself and Mrs Gtt were refused entry to a Corpo-partnered multi-storey, on our Vespa's.

This 'oaf' bellowed out of the intercom at the barrier, probably watching us on cctv, 'no motorbikes allowed', and then iirc, 'no ****ing motorbikes allowed'. Fair enough, we got off our bikes, put them on the centrestand(s), and knocked of the engines..........and sat there..........didn't take long for a long queue of cars to build up behind..... :) ........those who know the 'Roches Stores' / Debenhams car park in Galway know how that could happen.........

Long story short, barrier opened, and in we went. Went in to do shopping, make a bee-line for the manager, told him of the hullah outside, and he apologised, validated our parking for free..........and then he made a bee-line to chew the arse of the 'oaf' mentioned earlier. You should have seen the look on oaf's face at the booth on the way out.

Sometimes we really do lie down too much..........

Sometimes it's better to lie down then have to pay everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I commute to work on my bike daily.
    I always lock my bike on a push bike rack outside where I work.
    Never had an issue.

It's one of those racks where you have a series of upside down "u" shaped tube bars with about 4 feet of space inbetween them.
    Very handy cause you can position the bike so that it can be chained to one, but close enough to the other that no push bike will fit.
    Cuts down on the risk of somebody damaging the bike.
    Also if somebody was to knock the bike, it'll only fall aginst the tubing rather than to the floor.

Never had an issue with wardens or damage to the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I always lock my bike on a push bike rack outside where I work. Never had an issue.

I've been commuting by bike daily for about two months and I am chaining to a signpost, on the pavement, right next to the bike parking area (upside down u-tube thingees). I could park at the bike rack, but co-workers wanted to park their push bikes there, so I am leaving it empty for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement