Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo phrase Q.

Options
  • 09-05-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

So after I got my first tattoo I have completely caught the tattoo bug.

I was thinking about getting "nolite te bastardes carborundorum" tattooed basically just below my chest on my side...

I've been warned by heavily tatted famila not to get phrases done because they could always mean different things to different people.

So I was wondering if anyone has any positive/negative reactions to the phrase.

Love x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

MissMoppet wrote: »
    So after I got my first tattoo I have completely caught the tattoo bug.

I was thinking about getting "nolite te bastardes carborundorum" tattooed basically just below my chest on my side...

I've been warned by heavily tatted famila not to get phrases done because they could always mean different things to different people.

So I was wondering if anyone has any positive/negative reactions to the phrase.

Love x

Just because Margaret Atwood used it doesn't make it good Latin. It's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Yeah I know it's not proper Latin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Well, there you go. Tattoos do mean different things to different people.
    In this case, however, the phrase you've chosen is meaningless. It's also the sort of thing you might find yourself embarrassed to have on your body at a later stage in life.
    My 2c, for what it's worth, is to think again, long and hard, about it before committing to anything permanent.
    I speak as someone with five tattoos myself, including a large back piece. I reckon I took at least three to five years deciding over each one of them. I flew abroad on two occasions to get two of them done by the very best people in the world I could find to do them.
    Remember, it's your skin, the only skin you'll ever have, and it's with you forever. A tattoo you don't love for the rest of your entire life becomes a blemish.

Advertisement