Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League, Did we over achieve?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

When harry took over we were in a bad way. If we had finished 5th or 6th last season, i think most of us would have been very happy and regarded it as very good season.

Considering Man city changed manager midway through the season and Mancini hadnt manged in England before, it was perhaps no surprise that they just missed out on CL.

As much as it pains me to say it, i think the main reason we got fourth last season was the fact that one of the regular top four teams, liverpool, had an absolute stinker.

Did their crap season and our pretty damn good season conspire to put a team that isnt good enough to be top four into the champions league?
    With liverpool looking good again and city after spending big on quality players are we back to where we were under Jol.
    A top five side without the necessary combination of top class players/management to really break the top four?.

If Arsenal buy a decent centre back or two and liverpool start next season as they are finishing this one, are we looking at sixth place next season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I think ye have players that are worth a top four finish but ye really lack a good striker to retain a CL place year on year.

Big investment will be required next year to get back into it tho as if city take fourth this year, they will be able to attract better players and Liverpool will be investing heavily also.

I doubt ye will be getting CL football again any time soon. I think it was more important to hold onto a CL place this year than overachieve in Europe.

I dunno if the investment is there to progress without selling one of yere stars.Someone might drop a wad for bale ala Ibra to barca so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

What's the point in qualifying for the Champions League if we don't go all out when we get there. The problem this season wasn't so much the shocking displays, like Bolton West Ham away, and Wigan at home, there are always likely to be a few of them. The problem was games we owned and didn't win- right back to Citeh on opening day 26 shots no goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

This squad on paper has under achieved, not the other way around.

Its widely accepted that Spurs have the best subs bench in the EPL, ally that to our performances against the big clubs and its pretty obvious any talk of injuries etc is just rubbish imo.

Squad sizes are 25 for all clubs so injuries to a super rich squad like Man City still means they can only pick from the 25 they named as their original squad.

We have to face reality here and say there's a mental block with this group when it comes to winning and inflicting cruelty on their opponents.

Saying lack of a striker is true but its only window dressing. Its a lack of killer instinct. We like being liked all of a sudden and I think its got to the players.

just my tuppence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

What's the point in qualifying for the Champions League if we don't go all out when we get there. The problem this season wasn't so much the shocking displays, like Bolton West Ham away, and Wigan at home, there are always likely to be a few of them. The problem was games we owned and didn't win- right back to Citeh on opening day 26 shots no goals.

14pts from 11 games vs the bottom 6 suggests that our main problem was an ability to beat the worst teams in the league. If one takes the results vs those sides out of the reckoning we would be 3rd in the league behind United and Liverpool.

Man City are still 1pt worse off than this point last season, and that's even allowing for them having beaten us on Tuesday night.

We have ballsed up a golden chance to retain a top 4 place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Is the question, did we overachieve last season ?

If so then I think yes we possibly did, however I did believe from Sep 09 that we would do it. Everyone was planking it about our April fixtures, and we ended up beating Arse and Chelsea back to back. This was a real coming of age moment for the team.

However the reality is that if Liverpool didn't totally implode and if Man City had managed thier resources better, I think one of these would have pipped us for 4th. As it worked out they both dropped the ball and we deservidely got 4th in the end.

This season we're probabaly gonna be 5th or 6th (6th looking the more likely). I expected 5th at the beginign of the season so I'm not angry at the finish although there are some serious concerns. I genuinely hope we miss out on Europa, it's a joke cup.

I fear that with Man City in the CL now and with their endless finances + the 3 long established CL clubs it will probabaly be a long time before we see Spurs or anyone else for that matter in the CL again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Is the question, did we overachieve last season ?
    yes, thats what i meant, rather than how well we did in the champs league. Should have made that clearer!

Advertisement