Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How's de 200 training going

• 09-05-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Personally I'm up to 130 k taking in de big three in wickla ie.Sally gap shay Elliot and slieve Mann so hopefully on good track. Would be interested to hear how you're getting on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did 120k last weekend. Planned to do 140 yesterday, but saw the wind and decided to do a hard 60k instead. Hard being the operative word. Average 16km/h for the first 30km, some wind.

Next two weekends plan is 140k - probably do 140km in South Wicklow, starting from my parents' house including Slieve Mann and Shay Eliott - and then 160km the weekend after that to take in the big 3 as you put it.

Then I've a rest weekend (wedding & drinking :D) and the weekend before it I'll do a short loosener, an easy 60k or something.

I'm probably about two weeks behind due to injury or weather, I don't remember. Wanted to have 140km nailed by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

Mick Byrne Randonee 160 in a forthnight looks like a good preparation spin http://ridewithgps.com/routes/404573

Sunday 22nd, leaving Dalkey at 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have done very little specifically for it.

My 'training' has consisted of regular weekend club spins (about 90k including the trip out to the start point) and shorter solo spins on midweek evenings. The midweek spins have been replaced by races in the last few weeks. I did manage to hit the hills twice since Christmas, including a very hilly 115k but that's about it. I haven't been near Slieve Mann or the Shay Elliott this year. My daughter made her communion last weekend and I am off to Cardiff for the Heineken Cup Final in two weeks time so the opportunities are slipping away...

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get round OK but I won't be pushing too hard (I say that now but I know my competitive instincts will take over and I will follow the fastest wheel I can hang on to up the first climb!). The legs and lungs are reasonably strong but I suffer from stiffness in my neck and shoulders that transfers into pain on longer runs. I'll use the food stops to loosen up and hopefully I'll be able to lift my head enough to drive home when it's over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Did a 130k a couple of weeks back and plenty of 100+ks so far, usually over the sally gap and one in Clare over Easter. Haven't hit Slieve Maan yet, and May is looking busy work wise, so will be lucky to get another very long spin in before the day. Doing an hour of reasonably intensive training every week morning, so fitness should be ok, and the new brooks saddle is getting comfier by the day so the ar$e should also be ok.
    Planned to do 140 yesterday, but saw the wind and decided to do a hard 60k instead.

Same, got as far as Lough Bray, and bailed back down by Crone woods to to a couple of circuits of Knockree. The climb from Ballyboden to Lough Bray left me pretty knackered, if the wind is like that on the day, I'm rightly fcuked ;)

Planning on a full weeks rest before the event, and a couple of weeks off the beer, maybe lose another kg. Lost about 6kg from Christmas, which also doesn't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Not sure. Was off bike with shoulder injury for 2 months up until last month. I had myself down to 90.5kg before that, now back to 93kg and not able to drop it. Did a flatish 212km Easter Bank Holiday. Did 144km and 95km, last Sunday and Monday respectively and found myself lagging behind both runs, the second group was one in which I had a few months ago been one of the strongest, which was a bit of a kick in the nuts. Avergae speed also only about 23.5 on both runs. Was so tired after those two rides that I didn't do anything at the weekend and I'll probably only be doing my usual 75km to 100km commuting this week, with maybe a Saturday morning on the track.

I had initially picked a time in which to finisht the WW200, now I'm little less serious about it and just want to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Have done a pile of 100ks and one 120k, with loads of hills, mostly up and down to Laragh over various routes.

This time last year I hadn't done a century so I'm very happy with progress so far. My average speed is way up and I've lost weight. :)

Haven't gone near the big W200 climbs this year. I didn't find them that bad the first time round, but the drag from Avoca to Redcross nearly did me in. So hopefully the extra miles in the legs will help with that.

I don't really care how fast I do it in TBH. Will just be happy to be allowed out for the day. See yiz all in Greystones or maybe at the Mick Byrne Randonee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Done a max of 135km
    Done the entire route in separate sections
    done several 100-120km cycles
    done a lot of climbing, 24 vertical km year to date
    done 3 major climbs in one go (Slieve Mann, shay elliot and Wicklow gap from Glendo side)

I'm away for two weeks now so will lose out somewhat but plan on at least 3 weeks of 250km+ and a final week before the event doing next to nothing to recover for it
    10 weeks ahead of plan for the year:D

I'm happy I could do it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pure sh1te.
    In a fit of craziness I signed up for WW200, which is bizarre given that I hate long distances. Much more at home in 4-5hour events as opposed to 7-9 hour ones.

Doing lots of 2-3 hour cycles, but have only done 3 cycles of any distance.
    That was 2 * 110km cycles in Wicklow last month and 135km on Dingle peninsula a few weeks back. I found last hour really challenging due to lack of endurance.
    Doing Mt Leinster challenge at weekend so hopefully that will put manners on me.

Done a max of 135km
    Done the entire route in separate sections
    done several 100-120km cycles
    done a lot of climbing, 24 vertical km year to date
    done 3 major climbs in one go (Slieve Mann, shay elliot and Wicklow gap from Glendo side)

I'm away for two weeks now so will lose out somewhat but plan on at least 3 weeks of 250km+ and a final week before the event doing next to nothing to recover for it
    10 weeks ahead of plan for the year:D

I'm happy I could do it now

jaysus, I feel so lazy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Pretty good, did ~135 yesterday, this included the Wicklow Gap from Pollaphuca with an horrific headwind. Heartbreaking stiuff. Sally Gap from Laragh was easy with the wind behind us. Was our first time in Wicklow, doing the Mt Leinster Challenge next week (140k).

Apart from that plenty of spins around Howth, so I'm hoping I'll be OK if I pace myself properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

The pacing and the wind are my two major concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

We (Lucan CRC) are running the 'Around the Mountains' Sportive / Audux ride on 29th May. It is a great event in its own right but would also make a perfect addition to your WW200 training, being 170kms and pretty tough.

Actually Mount Leinster Challenge next week is 140k and Mick Byrne the following week @ 160km seems like the ideal way to top off the training. Anyone else doing these?
    Like ROK ON, I've got to say I'm not the biggest fan of long runs. 4 hours seems to be about my limit, then I start just wishing for it to end. Doing it as part of an event though will stave off the boredom.

Aye, I'd imagine I'll get out for the Mick Byrne alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

its going well. i've been watching LOADS of cycling on the telly. looks easy enough i reckon :P

That wind yesterday nearly broke me.. if its like that on the day its going to murder. actually, if its like that on the day i think ill be pussying out and doing the 100

Anyone else looking at the Mick Byrne on Sunday? I haven't signed up, will registration be closed before Sunday or will there be enough places to sign up on the day?

160km route doesn't seem like too much: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34742950

Hardest part seems to me to be the strong SSW wind we'll be dealing with and having to climb from Laragh to Glencree at the 100km mark. Though hopefully at that point the wind will be on our back.

Last year's route appears to have included Shay Elliott which thankfully this years' doesn't.

The 200km route takes in Slieve Mann, so I don't think I'll be going for it :D

Signed up for the 160k. I'll be hiding behind everyone else for the windy bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive done very little March from pure lack of motivation. Think ive been on my bike 3 maybe 4 times since early March and only for about an hour. Was getting in 150+ in Feb & March around Wicklow mountains so going to try hit 100k this saturday over to the sally gap to get a good climb in and see what the weeks after bring

Hmmm, I mapped the route on RwGPS and it came to 2,600m climbing http://ridewithgps.com/routes/404573 while the route above says 1,500m. Big difference there.

Either way, yes, I'll probably be there also.

Plastik wrote: »
    Hmmm, I mapped the route on RwGPS and it came to 2,600m climbing http://ridewithgps.com/routes/404573 while the route above says 1,500m. Big difference there.
    Seems to be down to the way the heights are calculated, MMR says it starts at 22m, RWG says it starts at 25m.

Bikemap says it's 2,200m of climbing, so I'd probably split the difference overall and say you're looking at around 2,000 - 2,200m.

Good to know that MMR makes it look easier than it is though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

I did the MB 160 last year. It was a tough day: I found it tougher than the W200 a few weeks later.

Great event though, food stops were brilliant.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35085571

If you can get through it then the W200 will be straightforward enough.

Advertisement