Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkie Talkie.........ADVICE PLEASE

• 09-05-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All,

Need advice.

I need to get a walkie talkie set (about 4-6 handsets)

What are the best type and also where is the best place to shop?

Thanks

NUFC

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hobby radio ---> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411

if it's short range you could get pmr sets from argos or similar for a couple of quid each

for longer range you would need more expensive gear and a license

be cheaper to check if all the users are on the same mobile phone plan that gives you free calls, it might even be cheaper to get entry level prepay mobile phones , and only top up when essential - not sure how you setup the multi / conference calls but it's doable

also pmr / walkie talkie are not secure as anyone can listen in

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Forum Capt'n Midnight suggests is probably where you will get the best help.
    Thread Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

i think i know what you want go to argos and type in binatone action 950 there are four of them for €120 the are very good quality and if you dont belive me read the reviews on argos
    here are the specs:
    • Set includes 4 two-way radios.
    • 968 channels with up to 10km range.
    • 38 hours battery life.
    • 15 call tones.
    • Volume control.
    • Voice activation.
    • Auto channel scan.
    • Stopwatch.
    • Battery level indicator.
    • Backlit display.
    • Keypad lock.
    • Headset port.
    • Belt clip.

here is the website:http://http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductLargeImagePopup?storeId=10152&jsparm=true&imageName=198-5531055SPA74UC686974.epsX.jpg&imageText=

and p.s. dont use walkie talkie use 2 way radio walkie talkie are children toys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sgbrady wrote: »
    and p.s. dont use walkie talkie use 2 way radio walkie talkie are children toys
    http://www.scr300.org/ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Hi All,

Need advice.

I need to get a walkie talkie set (about 4-6 handsets)

What are the best type and also where is the best place to shop?

Thanks

NUFC[/QUOWhat range,terrain. Be careful of claims made about pmr range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Virtually all PMR446 are the same. Because the spec is fixed. Perhaps test any really cheap ones. Any costing more than €40 each are certainly rip-offs.

Anything other than 0.5W stubby aerial PMR446 needs a licence. Note you need x4 power for twice range roughly.

0.5W (PMR446) on two mountain tops may work 60km. In builtup area maybe 50m to 100m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The quality of the set can make a big difference.

I had a set of Oregon Scientific TP-329 ones a few years ago for deliveries from a van as I'd have people deliver door to door and I'd supply viz the van moving around all the time in the city centre.

Worked only to the end of the road which was not satisfactory, purchasing a set of Motorola T5532 improved things no end. We could communicate to the next city block which was all we needed.

Technically, both radios had same spec, in reality the Oregon ones did not deliver their rated power whilst the Motorola did [or exceed it ~ but they were not modded in anyway and are still not and are still great and working so many years later].

gbee wrote: »
    Technically, both radios had same spec, in reality the Oregon ones did not deliver their rated power whilst the Motorola did [or exceed it ~ but they were not modded in anyway and are still not and are still great and working so many years later].
    PMR is only allowed use a tiny amount of power so that isn't a problem.

most likely the difference is on the receiver sensitivity rather than transmitter power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I bought the 10km range binatone walkies last year and had to send them back as in a built up area indoors the distance i could get was less than a kilometer but outside in open spaces they were so so.

they transmit in the 40mhz range which is very low, so if i was you i'd go more expensive and pick up a couple of second hand motorolla ones that use the 400mhz range they would be ideal as they are 4watts and powerfull. the buy and sell usually have a few going.

these are high-end radios here http://www.buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/hobbies-and-collectables/kilkenny/-/professional-two-way-radios €100 each and he has 15 of them but you might get him down in price. those cheap binatone ones are no good for professional use.

most likely the difference is on the receiver sensitivity rather than transmitter power

Very good point, we eventually discovered that one Oregon would receive while the other would not, even when we were looking at each other.

But other tests we did with more sets suggests neither Oregon transmitted as far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

But other tests we did with more sets suggests neither Oregon transmitted as far.
    It's easy enough to verify the output power of both sets. This will clarify the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

one Oregon would receive while the other would not, even when we were looking at each other.
    Faulty set?

I have some intek 5050's. They are easily modded to 4w and the fixed stubby antenna can be replaced with sma connection to allow antenna upgrades. Although they aren't that portable with a multi element yagi attatched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ua7BwcsWZ4

Telcom10dbGain.jpg

or how about one o dees

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Faulty set?

IMO, I've noticed that sets seemingly will have one better than the other, simply holding a unit a different way could impact it's performance.

I wouldn't have considered my Oregon a faulty unit in as much as it passed tests in the open but was not reliable as reliable for me in the city as other units proved to be.

Advertisement