Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion this Sat!

Options
  • 09-05-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I wrote up awhile back asking about communion partys and now my time has come!

I booked a bouncy castle with some difficulty (all booked out!) and I plan on having a bbq (well i plan on someone else doing a bbq as im a veggie! lol)

I'm praying the weather will be good but im thinking I should plan for it being bad.

I'd love if you could throw some ideas at me for activities and food to do for the kids indoors when weather is bad and even outdoors when its good!

Also, is a bbq safe to do for kids? probly a weird question but raw meat scares me! half thinking of throwing veggie burgers on and hope they dont notice the difference! LOL (note: i will find a meat eater who knows what they are doing to do the bbq)

oh also, any ideas on cheap ways to decorate the back garden? saw lovely lanterns in tesco but theyre bit too pricey for me :/

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

well, I know nothing about actually planning this kind of event, but I was at my neice's communion on Saturday. They had a bouncy castle, and gazebo up over garden furniture. Apart from an hour or so, it rained the entire afternoon along with strong winds, cut to adults all inside drinking and eating and the children (four to 12yrs boys and girls!) were outside in the rain playing on the castle, pretend swimming on the mats of the castle, and generally having a ball. they had to be stripped and in a hot shower when they eventually came in, clothes were literally wrung out. All of them said what a great time they had and it was the best day ever:D
    All I would say is relax and enjoy the day, kids tend to make the most of what they've got anyway (and plenty of towels and spare clothes - just in case!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm a vegetarian too, if there is a bbq going on I either cook my stuff before hand or else cook it in the oven. If you dont like cooking meat ask someone else to cook the food on the bbq for you.

I would make up some bowls of Salad & some pasta salad, boiled eggs, cheese, cold meat and rolls. Also some cupcakes and rice krispie buns.

BBQ food is fine for children as long as its cooked properly. I would maybe make up little bags for the children with bubbles, colouring books & crayons. Kids adore Bouncy castles so you should be alright.

My sisters Communion is on Sunday and we toyed with the idea of having it at home but in the end we booked into a hotel for a 4 course dinner, the hotel has a lovely play area for the children.

Make sure and enjoy yourself because I know when you are throwing these things at home it can be hard on the host. Don't be afraid to ask people for help on the day.

Hope you have a great day and I hope the weather picks up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

thanks guys some good ideas there!

kids in the rain sounds fun! lol

gona do that, make salads etc, thanks lolli, that'll be good if bbq doesnt go ahead! :) enjoy sunday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭nickybutler

What type of castle did you rent out? We found an obstacle course which was great fun, the kids and some of the adults loved it.

Incase anyone else is stuck I was talking to Michael from deleted the other day and he said he still had a few days free.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod note *
    No advertising is allowed here .
    Recommendations from personal experience only please .

• Advertisement
Advertisement