Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Come rain or shine, but really just shine

• 09-05-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's going to be another typical Irish summer (read: wet). I've not managed to be out on my bike since last Saturday week, and while I miss it, I'm not that interested in going out in the rain and coming back sodden. I'm a casual rider at best, but I'm determined to stretch myself to a 100k+ spin this year and I won't be likely to do that if I keep missing weekends.

I know I just need to htfu and get out in the wind and the rain (honestly, I think it's the wind more than the rain, but the combination can get pretty miserable) and if I do it once, I'll be more likely to do it each time, but it's difficult to work up the energy given I'm not in training or trying to get ready for events or anything.

Any tips on how to break the couch factor and get out when it's not 27 degrees and calm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well about the rain there aren't really many things you can do apart from dressing properly. As for the wind, just plan your route in that way so second half of your spin to be with the wind on your back, the difference is amazing, you ll end up home feeling strong and happy. Suffer the first 40-50k, fly home the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Look at these pictures and realise that it's not so bad outside:

tchmil1.jpg

gavia-andy.jpg

sean_kelly_roubaix_1983.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Join a club.
    Dont think just do
    HTFU
    Irish summers maybe wet (though so far it's been dry imo) but they are warm, a base layer or two, good pair of shoe covers and you'll soon get used to cycling wet. When cycling so long as your warm you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

corblimey wrote: »
    Any tips on how to break the couch factor and get out when it's not 27 degrees and calm?
    You need a goal. Mine is the WW200. I know that if I don't get out and ride, I'll be dead when it comes around.

I'm also constantly reminding myself of a story that someone else told here a long time ago. Out on a cycle on a wet and windy weekend day, no other cyclists on the road, he reached the top of a climb where he met an older gent with many cycling years under his belt, stopping for a chat and a rest. Remarking on the weather, the old guy said, "You know, there are many days when I've regretted not going out on the bike. But I've never once gone out on the bike and regretted it".

I've probably completely bastardised the story in my head, but it works for me :) The amount of times I've sat on the couch considering being lazy and not going out on the bike. After 20 minutes on the bike and I'm wondering why I was hesitating.

It rains very rarely anyway. Just keep an eye on the forecast and unless they say it's gonna rain all day, then consider every shower to be respite from the heat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

I love cycling in the rain. Its the damn wind that gets me pissed off. I know headwinds are good for training but the 30MPH winds at the moment are just annoying. Mainly because I am fighting all the time to stay up right.

I say embrace the rain, there is no better feeling for making you feel alive then reaching the summit of a long hill drenched with all your senses awake and alert. Plus the shower after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Well about the rain there aren't really many things you can do apart from dressing properly. As for the wind, just plan your route in that way so second half of your spin to be with the wind on your back, the difference is amazing, you ll end up home feeling strong and happy. Suffer the first 40-50k, fly home the rest!

I need to lash out on some wet weather gear, what's required to minimise the wet weather misery as much as possible, especially in the summer when the ambient temp is still warmish even when its raining? please?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Herc

Goals are key I think - this time 5 months ago I was 10kg heavier and would struggle with 20k never mind 100k - completed the Tour of Sligo 100km yesterday in what can only be described as a gale with one torrential downpour thrown in for good measure and really enjoyed it - have 4 x 100km plus spins under my belt over the past month and looking forward to a few more challenges over the next few months - another thing, don't chase numbers on your speedo - different days, different conditions, different numbers but the general trend is going to go in the right direction over time. Things like the An Post Tours are excellent, all ranges of cyclists and in the main everyone is very friendly and strangers are more than happy to share the workload on the spin as long as you are willing to do your bit also - enter something in x months time and work towards it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I wouldn't worry about the rain, if you go out for a longer spin any way regularly, you're going to get rained on. Chances are, you'll get a nice blow dry five minutes later, more sun, and then some more rain. In the summer, I keep to shorts and short sleeves, so If I get wet, I also dry out quickly. Pair of sealskinz socks to keep the feet dry is nice though. Personally, I sweat like a pig going up hill in waterproofs, and find them self defeating.

Wind can be more of an issue, certainly was up on the Sally gap yesterday afternoon. It's useful to know a few adjacent low lying routes to take you out of the weather if is too blowy up top. i.e I ended up doing a few circuits of Knockree / Curtlestown yesterday, after getting to lough Bray. Seemed to be a fair few doing similar things around Glencree and Stocking lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

smacl wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the rain, if you go out for a longer spin any way regularly, you're going to get rained on. Chances are, you'll get a nice blow dry five minutes later, more sun, and then some more rain. In the summer, I keep to shorts and short sleeves, so If I get wet, I also dry out quickly. Pair of sealskinz socks to keep the feet dry is nice though. Personally, I sweat like a pig going up hill in waterproofs, and find them self defeating.

Wind can be more of an issue, certainly was up on the Sally gap yesterday afternoon. It's useful to know a few adjacent low lying routes to take you out of the weather if is too blowy up top. i.e I ended up doing a few circuits of Knockree / Curtlestown yesterday, after getting to lough Bray. Seemed to be a fair few doing similar things around Glencree and Stocking lane.

Top of Sally Gap was no fun yesterday. Hit 84kph on a descent past Ballinastoe on the way back though!

Agree with the above, worse than getting wet is having heavy waterproofs on if it's hot and the rain stops. Went out on Friday in a rain jacket and had to wring out the jersey I was wearing underneath when I got home.

As long as my feet aren't freezing and wet, I'm grand, so decent socks and overshoes are the key.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

seamus wrote: »
    You need a goal. Mine is the WW200. I know that if I don't get out and ride, I'll be dead when it comes around.

I'm also constantly reminding myself of a story that someone else told here a long time ago. Out on a cycle on a wet and windy weekend day, no other cyclists on the road, he reached the top of a climb where he met an older gent with many cycling years under his belt, stopping for a chat and a rest. Remarking on the weather, the old guy said, "You know, there are many days when I've regretted not going out on the bike. But I've never once gone out on the bike and regretted it".

I've probably completely bastardised the story in my head, but it works for me :) The amount of times I've sat on the couch considering being lazy and not going out on the bike. After 20 minutes on the bike and I'm wondering why I was hesitating.

It rains very rarely anyway. Just keep an eye on the forecast and unless they say it's gonna rain all day, then consider every shower to be respite from the heat :D

You've told that story on here before and it's one of them that's stuck with me.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

You would struggle to stay dry, but the key for me is staying warm. Base layer, arm warmers, knee warmers and overshoes means a huge range of flexibility.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=14&ID=1037

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24724

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24725

http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=196&idproduct=17505

Stuff along these lines and you should be grand. Another handy piece is a gilet on days when you know the wind is not going to stop, helping the core to stay warm:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36555

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Agreed - staying warm (layers) and having dry feet (overshoes) is the key.

After that pick an intelligent route (avoid the coast with the wind and come back with a tailwind) and use sensible gearing (spin into the wind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i threw on a pair of yellow lens sunglasses yesterday and fooled myself into thinking it was lovely and sunny out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

now normally I have no qualms about cycling in bad weather but today was just ridiculous. Had planned a nice loop up over Snowtown-Clonavly-Cloghertown-Naul but after getting to the top of Snowtown on the first occasion tobe greeted by a torrential downpour and when I got to the top on the second downpour to be greeted by another downpour this time of biblical proportions with lumps of hail thrown in for good measure I said Fook It i am going home. HTFU or not I was soaked and frozen. Then back tyre splits. :mad:
    One of those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

bcmf wrote: »
    Then back tyre splits. :mad:
    One of those days.

Now that would be one of my fears for going out in inclement weather, more chance of hitting something causing a puncture and then you're stuck changing it in the pouring rain. While you're active and pedalling, it's probably not so bad, but if it takes me half an hour to fix a puncture (as it does) in a downpour, I'm going to be a not-happy chappy very quickly and mr bike is going to be kicked.

ETA: Just noticed your back tyre split, I assume that's not something you can even fix on the side of a road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

When its raining outside you have two choices,

a) go for a cycle,
    b) don't go for a cycle.

Just pick the correct one next saturday morning.

Luckily most of my cycling is done through commuting, so the decision making is done for me.:) You could also buy a turbo, but that would require a type of discipline I don't posses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

corblimey wrote: »
    Now that would be one of my fears for going out in inclement weather, more chance of hitting something causing a puncture and then you're stuck changing it in the pouring rain. While you're active and pedalling, it's probably not so bad, but if it takes me half an hour to fix a puncture (as it does) in a downpour, I'm going to be a not-happy chappy very quickly and mr bike is going to be kicked.

ETA: Just noticed your back tyre split, I assume that's not something you can even fix on the side of a road?

Its fixable but really only as a get you home measure and since I was only 10km form home it wasnt too bad. Thing is it will happen to most if not all of us and being prepared for it eases the pain. Crap happens when you are out on the bike. Whether its getting caught in a hailstorm or whatever. Deal with it and get out there. Otherwise we may never leave the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Personally cant wait to get home and go out for a spin regardless of the wind and rain. Beats sitting on my hole stuffing my face watching some s'hite soap.

As others have alluded to you can make all the excuses in the world but at the end of the day you either wanna go out or you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have the feeling this weather won't go away so I'll have to get used to it. I kinda like the feeling of struggling up a hill with the rain and wind hammering away at you...I could do without the wind though. At least the rain doesn't slow me down and take all the fun out of it.

Advertisement