Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MD / CFO Level consider a move to Australia

Options
  • 09-05-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

My husband has 10 years post qualification experience and has held very senior roles in Financial services - Managing Director / CFO of large multinational.

We have 4 children (7 and under) and are considering emigrating.

I see from previous discussions there are alot of roles available for post qualification but what about at executive level?

Any information greatly appreciated, this is but the first step.

Thanks
    Kitten

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I reckon at that level you could look for jobs from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kittenx4

Thanks for the reply Zambia, as you are on the ground over there, who are the most reputable agencies/headhunters? Google just throws up so many. What is Victoria like? Melbourne seems to be popular. I have so much to consider given 4 young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

I know a guy in recruitment who says the activity for them at that level of seniority has remained reasonably good over the last 2 years while the market for accountants with 0 - 3 years PQE practically collapsed. So I agree with the first reply, your husband should be able to find a suitable role in this country. I can PM you their website if you want.

That would be fab Seamu$ , I did see from the new criteria that 'accountancy' seems to be deemed unavailable which surprised me hence the initial post, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

I worked as EA for the CFO of one of the main Australian charity groups for a spell. He was English, moved his family over a few years ago. Never looked back.

Can't offer much else on the job front but personally I would consider Australia a far superior place to bring up kids. I wish I had been brought up here. So much to do all the time, very out doors orientated. Even from what Ive heard, the school systems are fantastic in terms of subject choice etc. I'll definitely be having my family here.

Down side is - no cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents around.

• Advertisement

Kitten you could spend your life wandering about these things. If you are serious about this I assume your husband will look for a role from Ireland, land it, arrange a 457 Visa and be brought over with a Job to go to.

In relation to kids they will be fine here. I would say the Irish education system is better but sure if your kids want to excel they can. Note there are plenty of private schools some which leave Irish private schools way behind as regards facilitys.

Pay close attention to Amys comments in relation to relatives. When you leave them at the airport years go by in a lot of cases before you see them again. Until last month I had not seen my parents in 2 and a half years. The clock is still going on everyone else.

Thanks Amybabes, we actually moved out of Dublin about 4 years ago and left all family 'behind' so to speak, granted they are within driving distance but it is amazing how little we see of them. Yes a move to the other side of the world is a little different but as Zambia says time does tick along for everyone else too. Having made the initial move is what has given us the belief we can actually do this, I spoke with my mum yesterday and touched on the subject, I was surprised at how positive she was about it. She's 3 hours from me here at home and the last time she saw the kids was the first week in January and the last time she was here with us in the sunny south east was Nov so it's not like I'll be leaving a gaping hole in her daily life lol! I'll see what today throws up, I'm waiting for the Visa people to call me to see if we are eligible, it's now or never as my hubbie turns 45 next year so we're on the brink as it is.

Again, thanks for your responses.

Kitten

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Just an FYI, while I value the little Irish in Oz community here, I think you'll find that www.britishexpats.com is of more use. They just have the economies of scale that boards doesn't have.

This is true ... We are minnows at this

Advertisement