Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priming with honey

Options
  • 09-05-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

I recently brewed a hefeweizen and one of the ingredients was orange blossom honey. I couldn't find it at the time but d missus stumbled across it in aldi at the weekend and i thought i might use it to prime the batch. Just wondering has anybody tried this and would it be necessary to boil it with some water prior to adding it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/09/05/brewing-beer-with-honey/

Boiling seems to get rid of a lot of the flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Well that worked out fine any way. Here's one beside a duvel (for some reason?)

screen12.jpg

Did you end up boiling it?

And more importantly, what does it taste like?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

nah didn't boil it after i read the article on the link you posted, just dilluted a bit with some water heated it up to around 65°C and chucked it in at bottling.

I used one jar (340g) to prime the 22L batch and it seems to have carbonated bang on (Hefeweizens are supposed to be carbed almost twice as much as regular beers).

I think it's sensationally good but obviously i'm completely biased. It's definitley a great recipe to try, it can be found at the link below and i think there is an extract version supplied in the thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/orange-honey-hefeweizen-69499/

Looks good. I've just started fermenting a Coopers Real Ale so I might try priming a few bottles with honey. Seen maple syrup mentioned on some brewing sites too so I'll try a few bottles with some of that as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement