Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

cgc5483 wrote: »
    I had noticed earlier as well the Standalone Charge on my A/C. So i contacted them on line. I had upgraded to 50 MB and added the phone for €47. Here is the rather ambigious reply I got:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your recent email.
    Please be advised that the standalone charge will not be applied to the new customers who subscribe to the Telephony and Broadband products. The standalone charge will be applied to the existing customers.

For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

XXX

UPC Customer Care

I bet you that's from their outsourced call centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I bet you that's from their outsourced call centre.

Possibly. I replied and got a proper answer:

Dear XXX,

I would like to apologize for the last email. The standalone charge is been removed from your account and all the changes will reflect in the next invoice.

For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.

Kind regards,

XXX
    UPC Customer Care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Cgc, what did you say in your reply to them, do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Possibly. I replied and got a proper answer:

Dear XXX,

I would like to apologize for the last email. The standalone charge is been removed from your account and all the changes will reflect in the next invoice.

Kind regards,

Pushkar

UPC Customer Care

Yes - this is very poor & typical (the large disconnects that are apparent internally within the UPC Teams) - the new rollout has been very poorly managed IMHO. I'd love to know what (if any) project planning was done & whether there was a proper & coherent vision. Seems to me like they thought they'd 'chance their arm' at trying to see if they could squeeze extra cash out of their existing 'valued customers' compared to new customers - either that or or they never actually bothered to think it though & that there would be a reluctance to just accept that.

They are a good company for offering these fast BB services (when they don't necessarily have to) & the prodcuts & services are indeeed good when they are working & setup correctly. But they still have so much work to do in their management needing to manage effectively & training of their teams. Its been incredibly frsutrating & at times caused worry unnecessarily to many of their customers who would have just liked a seemless & easy transfer to the new bundles.

I hope they actually learn something after all this but realistically I doubt it :rolleyes:

The woman I spoke with in Customer Care this morning was absolutely clear that existing customers could now avail of the same bundle deals as new customers (so that means no Standalone Charge where you have a bundle).

I wish their Management & Training / HR Teams (if they have any) do actually take time to listen back to all these recorded calls & interactions with customers to see how many people have been given incorrect information by their own teams & then act to ensure it doesn't keep happenning. They say that the calls are recorded for quality, training etc.. I certainly see very little evidence that Management actually listen back to these calls at all from my own recent dealings with the company!

Arciphel wrote: »
    Cgc, what did you say in your reply to them, do you mind me asking?

not at all.

This was what i said:

Hi XXX,

Thanks for the reply. When I ordered the product I was told that I would not have to pay for the standalone charge. Can you please confirm that I will not be charged the standalone charge as your answer is quite ambigious.

Thanks,
    XXX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

not at all.

This was what i said:

Hi Pushkar,

Thanks for the reply. When I ordered the product I was told that I would not have to pay for the standalone charge. Can you please confirm that I will not be charged the standalone charge as your answer is quite ambigious.

Thanks,
    XXX

cgc5483,
    I assume that guy in Customer Service whose name you have quoted is not his real name, as we are not supposed to publish the names of people/employees from any customer service department on boards.ie
    or at least I thought we couldn't ;)

As bonoman66 said, this thread is turning into a UPC bashing thread when we should be praising their pro-activity...for once...but UPC have only themselves to blame - they have brought this on themselves.

Here is an example of bad management in my opinion.
    I receive a flyer in the door from UPC, saying "IMPORTANT NOTICE" - it relates to the UPC Network Improvement Programme. Now you would think that someone in Marketing would have thought, well if we are sending out flyers telling people that we are installing broadband in their area, why not advertise our prices against the competition. Alas no, the Marketing Department did not think of that.
    Then a day or two late, I get another flyer from/related to UPC, telling me that if i want their services to get in touch with trea@icltd.ie or someone, but yet again, the Marketing Department did not include a price comparison against the competition on this flyer, nor even a list of their packages.
    No doubt, a third flyer will be sent out to tell about their packages.
    Folks these flyers cost us money through our subscriptions to UPC.

As regards charging existing customers different prices to new customers, insane and surely more difficult to administer from an IT & billing point of view. Not to mention, more frustration and confusion for EVERYONE involved.

cgc5483,
    I assume that guy in Customer Service whose name you have quoted is not his real name, as we are not supposed to publish the names of people/employees from any customer service department on boards.ie
    or at least I thought we couldn't ;)

Edited, my bad forgot to, not a full name in any case. Please do same from the quote text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tony wrote: »
    No bother. You might let me know what upload speed you get, mine actually went down from 3 to 2.5. Good luck with it

I'm getting fluctuating upload speeds between 7 to 9 most of the time. Full 100Mb download via wire.

Unfortunately wireless N is fluctuating all over the place and only getting about 50Mbps max. This improves a great deal if I change the wireless setting on the Thomson to 40mhz - but that kicks out any internet radios I have in the house.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

50 Mbs modem arriving Wednesday - self install. Thing is I've a TV/ Phone / 30 Mbs connection already. Is it easy to reconnect the phone afterwards ?

As it stands my landline connects through the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

50 Mbs modem arriving Wednesday - self install. Thing is I've a TV/ Phone / 30 Mbs connection already. Is it easy to reconnect the phone afterwards ?

As it stands my landline connects through the modem.

And thats how it will go again so dont worry easy peasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Thanks, fionny, I worry too much...I know :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My provisioning was sorted this morning (got a text to confirm). Problem was that I was getting rock-solid speeds of 19.8Mb/s . A call to tech support and an hour later I was getting rock solid > 49.8Mb/s with around 49.6 over WiFi.

There have been a few hiccups getting here but I have found the UPC phone staff to be easy to deal with and competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I rang them today looking to get upgraded from 20meg to 25 meg with phone for €42, the girl told me that the website was wrong etc etc and went away for a while.

She came back and told me to ring the cancellation department tomorrow, is this the normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bryaner wrote: »
    I rang them today looking to get upgraded from 20meg to 25 meg with phone for €42, the girl told me that the website was wrong etc etc and went away for a while.

She came back and told me to ring the cancellation department tomorrow, is this the normal?

It's a case of when you threaten them with cancellation the packages suddenly become available to you.

It's a case of when you threaten them with cancellation the packages suddenly become available to you.

Such a shower of fcuks!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

As a policy from UPC that's very unfair to the Level 1 staff who may end up getting needless abuse only for Level 2 to say "arra go on then we'll upgrade you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks, only getting 2.5 up on mine, they tried to tell me it was my PC even though I was getting 3.0 up on the old package.

I'm getting fluctuating upload speeds between 7 to 9 most of the time. Full 100Mb download via wire.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

Ok so last thursday i rang up UPC asking for an upgrade from 20mb to 50mb and the guy from UPC was very nice and said there was no problem and he would upgrade me and he would ring back later in the evening so i waited .....but no call
    So i rang friday morning and was talking to an idiot of a woman who when i told her about how they were supposed to ring me she stated that she actually has no idea when they can ring me because she has to email someone first ?????
    so its monday night now and i was wondering should i ring them again or wait it out hopeing for a call ....

has this happened to anyone else ..by reading the other posts i dont think so ??

and my speed hasn't changed or anything
    So any ideas icon5.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

parsi wrote: »
    As a policy from UPC that's very unfair to the Level 1 staff who may end up getting needless abuse only for Level 2 to say "arra go on then we'll upgrade you".

Surely its not hard for any manger with even half a brain to anticipate in planning the introduction of new products that there will be a very strong reaction, to put it mildly, from the so called existing "valued" customers if they are not treated properly? (not to mention the addtional work generated for call centres as the old customers decide to cancel so as to become new customers?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

fitzy94 wrote: »
    Ok so last thursday i rang up UPC asking for an upgrade from 20mb to 50mb and the guy from UPC was very nice and said there was no problem and he would upgrade me and he would ring back later in the evening so i waited .....but no call
    So i rang friday morning and was talking to an idiot of a woman who when i told her about how they were supposed to ring me she stated that she actually has no idea when they can ring me because she has to email someone first ?????
    so its monday night now and i was wondering should i ring them again or wait it out hopeing for a call ....

has this happened to anyone else ..by reading the other posts i dont think so ??

and my speed hasn't changed or anything
    So any ideas icon5.gif

Rang them up on the day the 50mb was released. Asked them to upgrade, they said I needed a new router and a tech call out. I told them I had the router, but they insisted on getting the tech out. No tech yet, but 50mb the last few days. Just ring back and start from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Finally got word back from UPC!!(Regarding my previous post here)

Basically the new lines outside by house aren't active yet, So they weren't able to install the 100Mb line.I asked them how come, Considering the new lines across the road where active, They said it must be because of a stopper on my line(Someone refusing to allow the cables past there house). Well i assumed something would have been worked out, But looks like it wasn't and Was told it will be the first week of June that it will be available. Which to be honest isn't bad at all, Glad its not something like 'The near future' I don't mind waiting the 2-3 weeks.

Really pissed that someone in my estate is so obnoxious to not allow them putting the cables on there house, Even after they agreed.

I suppose i should be glad they found an alternative solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Rang them up on the day the 50mb was released. Asked them to upgrade, they said I needed a new router and a tech call out. I told them I had the router, but they insisted on getting the tech out. No tech yet, but 50mb the last few days. Just ring back and start from scratch.

thanks alot of their staff are saying different things to different people its confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does that apply to people still under contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Haven't recieved modem for the 50mb yet, just checked MyUPC and they have me as having 50mb BB and my bill issued 14th May is well overpriced to what I was told the extra would be (5e extra) It's 18e+ more on the bill and they have me as having 50mb since 11th May.
    Phone call first thing in the morning and I'd advise anyone changing to check their bills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I presume you are an existing customer without the TV service^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Does that apply to people still under contract?

It would appear so as I still had plenty of time to run on my own contract.

Im gutted , i got the 100 meg broadband. It tests 100 meg on the test websites. But was downloading a game DC universe online. There was a 5 gig down load needed and it took 7 hours .

Newsgroups speeds are not reaching over a meg !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Im gutted , i got the 100 meg broadband. It tests 100 meg on the test websites. But was downloading a game DC universe online. There was a 5 gig down load needed and it took 7 hours .

Probably the server not able to upload to you fast enough if you download a iso from HEAnet you should get a much better idea of how it's going or steam seem pretty good at uploading to users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

With regards to DC Universe Sony has just put those servers back online I imagine the load on them is crazy at the moment, that and they were slow with to begin with, this is outside UPC's control.

As for Newsgroups how many connections do you have configured? I am getting 114meg/14.1mbps on newsgroups from supernews with 30 connections.

• Advertisement

Second phone call and now I have to ring the loyalty department, how do I go about getting the €50 voucher as well can someone please tell me..

Advertisement