Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Im gutted , i got the 100 meg broadband. It tests 100 meg on the test websites. But was downloading a game DC universe online. There was a 5 gig down load needed and it took 7 hours .

Newsgroups speeds are not reaching over a meg !!

I too recently upgraded from 30Mb to 100Mb (last Sat May 14th).

I'm noticing that when I run speed tests (Win 7 laptop wired directly into the Thomson & nothing else actively drawing on the network at the time tests are done), in the morning times eg 7am-8:30am I get approx 90Mb down & 7.5Mb up, but as the day progresses, I get less & less to the point where if I conduct the same speed tests, under the same conditions at night eg 9pm-10pm, I'm only getting approx 55Mb down & 5Mb up.

I called UPC Customer Support yesterday (about other account related issues) but did request they make a note of what I'm seeing in terms of speed. I appreciate, I only have the 100Mb service a few days, so I'm monitoring & gathering more data to provide feedback to their team.

Even though I know some people here can get 100Mb or slightly more, personally, I don't mind if I can 'only get' 90Mb down but I won't be happy with any regular/severe drop off in speed to 55Mb in the evening / night times.

Just wondering if anyone else on 100Mb sees any sort of similar trends - massive speed fall off in evening / night time ?

Maybe my area is heavily congested at evening / night time but I thought the moving to DOCSIS 3.0 might lessen the chance of such a degredation in speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just called their line and was told that I had to go to the cancellations department to cancel my account, then I could order the new package!
    When I got through to there they said that wasn't the case at all and they put the order though for me. I guess I better check my next bill very carefully!
    Like others have said, this should have been such a positive experience, I was upgrading to a faster better service for little extra cost, I should be shouting to the rooftops about this wonderful service, but I'm just left with a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest.

What a joke their customer service is, every time i have wanted to change my service with them its a complete battle and nightmare. Personally it seems like piss poor communication from there management to staff on what the current offerings are and just who can get them, this stuff isn't rocket science!!

On the other hand I have found their tech support staff to be friendly and professional on the two times I had to call them so no complaints there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

bryaner wrote: »
    Second phone call and now I have to ring the loyalty department, how do I go about getting the €50 voucher as well can someone please tell me..

Anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Anyone??

Ask them on the phone?

fionny wrote: »
    Ask them on the phone?

I was wondering is there a certain procedure in obtaining it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just got a call from Maureen in the complaints dept, she is going to listen to the recording of my call and then get back to me. What a joke this organisation is. So glad I switched my tv to Sky last week. UPC even made a balls of that and disconnected my tv service a day early. Those jokers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I was wondering is there a certain procedure in obtaining it..

Well the normal procedure is to fill form out, but seen as you are going through complaints you will have to just chance your arm with asking.

fionny wrote: »
    Well the normal procedure is to fill form out, but seen as you are going through complaints you will have to just chance your arm with asking.

I'll give it a go and report back, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

When I filled out the Boards.ie offer form the guy who called me said the voucher would be sent out in the post. He confirmed which one I wanted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Hmm strange I went to order the 50mb broadband as I am on the 30mb and after getting to the end of it says I can't order a product I already have and that I am on the 50mb :confused:

Do they upgrade people automatically, I thought you needed a new modem for the increased speeds?

• Advertisement

No joy on the voucher but got my upgrade and phone for €42 per month, cant complain..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I too recently upgraded from 30Mb to 100Mb (last Sat May 14th).

I'm noticing that when I run speed tests (Win 7 laptop wired directly into the Thomson & nothing else actively drawing on the network at the time tests are done), in the morning times eg 7am-8:30am I get approx 90Mb down & 7.5Mb up, but as the day progresses, I get less & less to the point where if I conduct the same speed tests, under the same conditions at night eg 9pm-10pm, I'm only getting approx 55Mb down & 5Mb up.

I called UPC Customer Support yesterday (about other account related issues) but did request they make a note of what I'm seeing in terms of speed. I appreciate, I only have the 100Mb service a few days, so I'm monitoring & gathering more data to provide feedback to their team.

Even though I know some people here can get 100Mb or slightly more, personally, I don't mind if I can 'only get' 90Mb down but I won't be happy with any regular/severe drop off in speed to 55Mb in the evening / night times.

Just wondering if anyone else on 100Mb sees any sort of similar trends - massive speed fall off in evening / night time ?

Maybe my area is heavily congested at evening / night time but I thought the moving to DOCSIS 3.0 might lessen the chance of such a degredation in speed.
    yep mine is the exact same 95 - 98 in the morning 50 ish late afternoon to evening i am in navan and on my estate not many with this service , i think upc cranking the lines up and down when it suits them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

plumbman wrote: »
    yep mine is the exact same 95 - 98 in the morning 50 ish late afternoon to evening i am in navan and on my estate not many with this service , i think upc cranking the lines up and down when it suits them

Thanks very much plumbman.

Its good information to know.

If anyone else has any of the same type of info for the 100Mb service, please share if / when you have a chance. Maybe take a note of some wired speedtests morning Vs evening if you can & post back if you have a chance.

I know its a bit tedious but it would be great to be able to build some sort of picture as to what the realworld 100Mb service is on a daily basis & whether or not a lot of people are seeing their service severly degrade in evening/night time or whether particular areas are worse affected.

I'm based in Celbridge.

Thanks again to this community for all the inputs / feedback & time taken to converse on the forums - its a real benefit to be able to interact with everyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Just did the self install from 30 meg to 50meg.some problems at start..
    1.The phone wouldn't work
    2.Very slow upload speed
    3.Very slow DL speed.

1 and 2 sorted,but 3 is getting worse!
    1299850941.png

is the Thompson router supposed to transmit on 5Ghz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Hmm strange I went to order the 50mb broadband as I am on the 30mb and after getting to the end of it says I can't order a product I already have and that I am on the 50mb :confused:

Do they upgrade people automatically, I thought you needed a new modem for the increased speeds?

Just got a phone call from a rep from UPC asking me about upgrading and I explained to him what I said above, he rang me back after 2 minutes and said that the 50mb wasn't available in Dublin 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

thefishone wrote: »
    2.Very slow upload speed
    3.Very slow DL speed.

1299850941.png

yes i think the 2.4 is for wireless n class such as iphone, newer computer n cards run on 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Arciphel wrote: »
    I presume you are an existing customer without the TV service^

Existing customer - 20mb/phone/Digital+Value @ 47.50
    The rep specifically stated three times that the extra cost of upgrading to 50mb BB would be 5e so it's recorded at least.
    There isn't any overlap in dates etc

EDIT: After phone call - no record of new modem being needed and the 5e should be 11e according to the rep but she can't do anything with an order made by someone else so I have to wait 48hrs for a callback from the original rep!
    Mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

2.Very slow upload speed
    3.Very slow DL speed.

1299850941.png

Takes a while, restart a few times and it should jump up. Mine was like yours and now pretty consistent. 1299877072.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Any news on this post would be appreciated, I'm in the same boat, I've been checking my speed using the UPC speed test and i haven't got it to go over 20 yet.

1299890606.png

All ok on the 25 meg pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Hi. Going to get the new UPC bundle soon which includes the 25mb fibre power broadband.
    Just coming from Smart broadband. Our internet always seems quite fast.
    Our bill says it's BB 5mb/384kb.
    So will 25 gb seem much much faster??
    (i'm no internet expert obviously:D)

I use the net a lot. But mainly, email, youtube,forums etc....don't play games online or download movies.

Will UPC 50gb be much better value?

Thanks in advance.

Zak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Any news on this post would be appreciated, I'm in the same boat, I've been checking my speed using the UPC speed test and i haven't got it to go over 20 yet.

If you get a message saying you are already on the 50MB package it means that the 50MB is not available in your area yet. Same thing happened to me last week and I rang up to find out what it meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Hi. Going to get the new UPC bundle soon which includes the 25mb fibre power broadband.
    Just coming from Smart broadband. Our internet always seems quite fast.
    Our bill says it's BB 5mb/384kb.
    So will 25 gb seem much much faster??
    (i'm no internet expert obviously:D)

I use the net a lot. But mainly, email, youtube,forums etc....don't play games online or download movies.

Will UPC 50gb be much better value?

Thanks in advance.

Zak.

The 25mb should be perfect for you and is at least 5 times faster than your old broadband...... you wouldnt need 50mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

AntiVirus wrote: »
    If you get a message saying you are already on the 50MB package it means that the 50MB is not available in your area yet. Same thing happened to me last week and I rang up to find out what it meant.

Thanks mate!

Can anyone confirm this. Does a USB N dongle come free with the modem if I order 50Mb? Or do I have to pay for it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

I didn't get any with the new router (50 meg) that I got today,if I wanted
    one I had to pay for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I didn't get one. I think its a case that UPC get them with the modems & take them out & charge separately. With all the mix ups some are forgotten about.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...my modem arrives tomorrow...is it possible to buy the dongle separately from UPC ?
    Or would it be better getting one off Amazon etc. for a similar price ?
    Just noticed one of my laptops isn't Wireless-N.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I didn't get any with the new router (50 meg) that I got today,if I wanted
    one I had to pay for it.

How much does it cost, €15?

Advertisement