Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

UPC came back out today (a day early) and finished the install. Very happy with the level of service from the installers.

1301968535.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ordered 1st last Tuesday, upgrading from 20MB to 50MB. My OH was told by the UPC employee it would be updated in 15 minutes, no word of a modem mentioned. I then noticed the slow speeds on Thursday and rang up and I agreed to pay for the installing, that was all. Then UPC said they'd ring me the next day to sort it all out, but that the installers were calling around on Monday.

Come Monday, UPC didn't call on Friday but the courier rang around 3PM. I was told it would cost €40 to install and I said no way cos all of the BS we had to shovel through so far. I rang up UPC that day and I told the UPC employee i'd order online for free, now on the UPC page it said they'd get back to me within 2 days. So far they haven't :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i got the confirmation email on monday saying they'd get back to me within 2 days and nothing yet, i was hoping to have the 50 meg by friday but its looking like it will be next week now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I was told that the phone service is not in my area (D6???) and therefore I cannot avail of the new broadband bundles/speeds/prices. I double checked this with a tech support guy and one of the sales reps.

WTH?

Is there a new type of cable that needs to be installed to support 50/100mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I was told that the phone service is not in my area (D6???) and therefore I cannot avail of the new broadband bundles/speeds/prices. I double checked this with a tech support guy and one of the sales reps.

WTH?

The substations and cabling has to be replaced up to a point I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

WTH?

There is a map of Dublin showing the upgrades to date.

http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

My understanding is that they have to run fibre across the eves of the house and upgrade the substations to have the bandwidth for 50/100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Is there any hardware required to upgrade from 30Mb to 50Mb?
    I currently have the cisco router (which I hate!!)

Deffo need a sticky post with the bullet points! about this...

To answer the question yes you need a new modem from UPC for 50mb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes, you need the new Thomson, and it won't be self-install despite what the phone support sales say. I just had mine installed 30 minutes ago.

fionny wrote: »
    Deffo need a sticky post with the bullet points! about this...

To answer the question yes you need a new modem from UPC for 50mb.

Thanks a lot for the info, seconding the sticky suggestion.
    Do I need to contact them for this? I'm automatically a candidate for the upgrade, but haven't heard anything. Way too many pages in this thread to go through it

Thanks Spear too ^ ^. Did you need to contact them or did they contact you? Still down as having a 30Mb contract on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Spear wrote: »
    Yes, you need the new Thomson, and it won't be self-install despite what the phone support sales say. I just had mine installed 30 minutes ago.

Not necessarily true - mine was a self install as was my brothers.

I think it may be a self install if you had your cabling done recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Thanks a lot for the info, seconding the sticky suggestion.
    Do I need to contact them for this? I'm automatically a candidate for the upgrade, but haven't heard anything. Way too many pages in this thread to go through it

Thanks Spear too ^ ^. Did you need to contact them or did they contact you? Still down as having a 30Mb contract on the site.

Yes, you need to contact them. Ask for Customer Loyalty dept. if they get snotty about "existing customers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Spear wrote: »

It can be self installed. I did it my myself. Takes good while to provison. I get a txt from upc telling me that the two days after I installed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It can be self installed. I did it my myself. Takes good while to provison. I get a txt from upc telling me that the two days after I installed it.

Installer bloke told me they're insisting on the installs for the 50 meg now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

After my earlier rants and a further phone call to UPC..I got talking to Irish girl who reduced my bill from 61euro to 47euro for 50mb and phone...So standalone charge was dropped for good..Happy days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

From UPC via email

"Dear Mr M******,

Thank you for your E-Mail.

I have removed the Standalone charge from your account and added the correct promotion so you will be charged €57.00.

Kind regards,

C*********

UPC Customer Care"

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

According to upc.ie, the dongles are €15 once off. You can get them in any tech/pc shop for similar/slightly more price.

Here one for €25.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/EDIMAX-EW7811Un-Nano-USB-WiFi-Adapter/303841/148.3

Hi All,

Is the wireless N adapter you get from UPC similar to one here?
    This one is very compact which i like, not a huge usb key hanging out side of laptop.

Has anyone got one from UPC yet?
    Can they comment on the size of it.

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is the wireless N adapter you get from UPC similar to one here?
    This one is very compact which i like, not a huge usb key hanging out side of laptop.

Has anyone got one from UPC yet?
    Can they comment on the size of it.

Cheers,

This is similar to the one I got from UPC
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/BELKIN-F5D8053ed-Wireless-N-USB-Adapter/297528/148.3

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

has anyone in the swords area moved to 100Mb, and if so, what speeds are you getting. i had it installed last friday, and have only been able to hit about 82Mb down.

waiting on a call back from the installer(who ran a second line in today, because it was split twice). i've connected the modem directly to the wall removing the second split, and have a wired cat6 connection to my pc, but i can still only get about 82Mb.

the original installer told me that the other jobs he'd done that day all reported speeds over 100Mb, so i'd like to know if thats true for swords, in case the guy calling tries to give me some guff about that being as fast as i'll get.

p.s. i have that edimax/realtek n dongle and its quite good. getting speeds reasonably close to the wired connection (75-80Mb)

the upc one is quite big in comparison, i'd be afraid it'd get snapped off at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I got a call from UPC relating to an email I sent them. I must compliment their customer service. The lad seemed very nice and was very helpful.

I'm comparing this to Vodafone who are a disgrace. You can't even hear their customer service reps with all the background noise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Getting this tonight on my 50meg line..:D:D:D

1303669807.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

very nice...hopefully i get speeds like that if my order ever goes through...had to ring again today to order my upgrade to 50meg....third time lucky i hope :rolleyes:

They must have the caps disabled at the moment then I guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've been getting the run around this last week. 50mb finally properly ordered (after talking to a sales person that knew what they were talking about) on Friday, am still waiting on a call from courier company to arrange modem delivery. UPC swear it was sent to them, they have no record of it...grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

CorkMan wrote: »
    Ordered 1st last Tuesday, upgrading from 20MB to 50MB. My OH was told by the UPC employee it would be updated in 15 minutes, no word of a modem mentioned. I then noticed the slow speeds on Thursday and rang up and I agreed to pay for the installing, that was all. Then UPC said they'd ring me the next day to sort it all out, but that the installers were calling around on Monday.

Come Monday, UPC didn't call on Friday but the courier rang around 3PM. I was told it would cost €40 to install and I said no way cos all of the BS we had to shovel through so far. I rang up UPC that day and I told the UPC employee i'd order online for free, now on the UPC page it said they'd get back to me within 2 days. So far they haven't :rolleyes:

Nothing yet, will ring them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No speed increase here...
    1303766411.png

but not bad for wireless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ye haaa I just got my phone and they sent me a scientific atlanta modem too.:)

Is it a straight swap for my cisco or do I have to mess about with some settings?

bryaner wrote: »
    Ye haaa I just got my phone and they sent me a scientific atlanta modem too.:)

Is it a straight swap for my cisco or do I have to mess about with some settings?

Did you go from 30 to 50?

Scientific Atlanta modem is an OLD one! If you are on 50 it is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

fionny wrote: »
    Scientific Atlanta modem is an OLD one! If you are on 50 it is wrong.

I'm getting my old Scientific Atlanta modem replace by the Thomson modem tomorrow morning for my 100MB :)

i was told that from 50mb too100mb the Thomson modem is needed.

Advertisement