Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

when i had technician round last week to sort out my 100 meg pack he told me 18th may upc were rolling out the same package on the tv here as they get in dublin 175 odd channels as opposed to the 80 odd we are getting now , there is no sign of it yet ...does any one no whats happening
    ANYONE????????????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Yakuza wrote: »
    I've been getting the run around this last week. 50mb finally properly ordered (after talking to a sales person that knew what they were talking about) on Friday, am still waiting on a call from courier company to arrange modem delivery. UPC swear it was sent to them, they have no record of it...grrrrr

same as me. I ordered it on monday and called phone support on wednesday and today. Just off the phone with them now and i was told that because I ordered online phone support can't help me, and i'd have to email them instead. it'd be funny if I wasn't so annoyed. probably wont hear from them now till monday or tuesday, and then itll probably take them another day or two to sort whatever out with their courier.

bleh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Anyone have any idea what a validation check is? UPC coming over next week to see if its correctly installed, the question is why. Technician installed it so you'd assume everythings fine. Any new customers get this phone call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Yakuza wrote: »
    I've been getting the run around this last week. 50mb finally properly ordered (after talking to a sales person that knew what they were talking about) on Friday, am still waiting on a call from courier company to arrange modem delivery. UPC swear it was sent to them, they have no record of it...grrrrr
    same as me. I ordered it on monday and called phone support on wednesday and today. Just off the phone with them now and i was told that because I ordered online phone support can't help me, and i'd have to email them instead. it'd be funny if I wasn't so annoyed. probably wont hear from them now till monday or tuesday, and then itll probably take them another day or two to sort whatever out with their courier.

bleh

The exact same with me, loads of BS and still no order. Though the courier actually rang on Monday but payment option wasn't sorted out yet, I would have had to pay €40! 1st tried to order 10th May on a Tuesday., after much fuss placed an online order Monday this week and was told they'd contact me in 2 days. Still nothing and rang this morning so hopefully something will happen.

Also got a €169 bill in the meantime :mad: I think the stupid one who was on the phone the 1st Tuesday (the 10th) billed me for both my "previous" 20MB package and the "current" 50MB package at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

shuyin1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what a validation check is? UPC coming over next week to see if its correctly installed, the question is why. Technician installed it so you'd assume everythings fine. Any new customers get this phone call?

Some UPC guy randomly came to inspect the new wiring. I received no phone call. I think he was inspecting the quality of the line run into the house/ checking if the installer did a good job with it. I let him see it and he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

It was a feckin wireless one they gave me, I'm only on the 25mb btw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i sent a email via the UPC website asking for the 50mb line and new router and for them to waiver fees .

they called me today to say they got my mail and will get the loyalty department to call me within the next 48 hours about getting it all arranged for me, 'no problem'.

very happy with their level of service and will let them know this, as companies get slammed before praised.

+1 UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My bill for this month is €139.38
    One call to UPC - €20 vanished off that (a "mistake" on their part).
    I generally pay around €90 a month.
    With the 50 Mb package I signed up for(http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/fibrepowerultimate/) for it should now be €75 per month. They're also left me with no incoming phone calls for the weekend.

Major fail UPC. I hope we get some competition for them soon. This amateur excuse for a business is getting on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

How much would upc charge for the Thomson router does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kenny10033

1305334920.png

Not bad for €8 more than my 30mb connection and I get free off peak calls :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Finally got the modem for the 50mb yesterday and kept my discounts so am happy.
    Tech was here for guts of an hour, checked all external and internal cables.
    He said even the 50mb customers were going to get a tech call not just courier call.
    Thomson so far, is way better than the Cisco, no droputs etc - have another ddwrt router set up sharing out my VPN and it's going grand.
    Speeds as advertised and rocksteady - so v happy with it all.

PS But I advise anyone who changed over to check their bills - there is still an error of about a fiver on my bill this month and that's after 3 calls and a few emails, UPC's bill layout is really awful to read and decipher but worth a closer look this month IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

shuyin1 wrote: »

Got a similar call this evening. Wanted to have Tech call Monday, but I won't be here, so are arranging another date. Good service follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

can drop down to around 80 mb/s during the evenings but I normally get this at other times

1305721409.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

just been told my new modem has arrived...fingers crossed that this is a straight forward plug and play job....the chap in tech support told me i would have to ring them so they could upgrade me to the 50meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

when i had technician round last week to sort out my 100 meg pack he told me 18th may upc were rolling out the same package on the tv here as they get in dublin 175 odd channels as opposed to the 80 odd we are getting now , there is no sign of it yet ...does any one no whats happening
    ANYONE????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Just found out I have a contract with Vodafone for the next two months... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Decaydub wrote: »
    Are you confusing your MB with your Mb? You're quoting 3.0MB from heanet which equates to 24Mb which would be pretty good for what was I presume a 30Mb connection.

You were correct. I found a tool here and I used the heanet download and it was showing nearly 40 Mbps as I am on the 50Mbs now.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

35Mbps for a 50Mbps Line, 4.54Mbps upload... this is as low im after getting on Avg 48Mbps im getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Am i the only one who finds the wireless crap in the thompson? I only use the g is used as ive no n equipment yet,but with the cisco router i could get g all over the house now my iphone only has 2 bars when next to the router and if i leave the room i get no signal at all.Im on the 50m and wired is fast out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

rommy wrote: »
    Am i the only one who finds the wireless crap in the thompson? I only use the g is used as ive no n equipment yet,but with the cisco router i could get g all over the house now my iphone only has 2 bars when next to the router and if i leave the room i get no signal at all.Im on the 50m and wired is fast out.

Wireless on the Thompson was fine when I tested it out.

Its probable that theres some wireless interference between your network and others. Use InSSIDer to check what channels that neighboring wifi networks are using, and set your Thomson modem to use a channel that doesn't conflict with those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bountyfour

Hello,
    someone can confirm that please, otherwise I don't understand anything at all !
    on the upc website in extra option :
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/hundred/

Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb and Home Phone with Anytime World
    Broadband and Phone for 62 euros !!! If I add TV, how much it will be?

for the moment I get broadband 30mb, phone anytime world + TV 82 euros.

Is there not a pb?

thank you
    Bounty:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Got my 50MB modem installed yesterday but as of now im still on my previous 20MB allowance. This is tested wired so it hasnt happened.
    My online account is updated to 50MB though.

The engineer arrived close to the 1pm cutoff and took one look at the existing cable and said straight off it wouldnt do and would have to call a fella with a ladder over to lead in a new cable. The ladder guy would be 15minutes and he was keen to do it then but I was in a rush needing to get off to a communion but agreed to wait. Then he tested the line in the other room and said the meter reading off that line was good enough. I said if thats the case i wouldnt mind the modem brought in to this cable if it means calling off the ladder guy and quicker install so we done that.

There was some problem or other which he was discussing on the phone to a tech guy and after that he told me the tech guy is working on it inside and will take about a half hour and when i come home to run a speed test and txt him if i was getting 50MB or not. So later that evening when i came home i tested it wired and still 20mb down 1.7up.

I will call them to see what they need to do now.
    I do get the impression that the new thompson modem is better because im getting the same download/upload speeds wireless as i am with ethernet which i was never quite hitting with the last modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

just upgraded from stanalone 30 MB to 100Mb with phone via the Boards.ie form (see my previous post) , very happy with the speed and the upgrade process but checking my online profile i can see I'm still been charged a standalone service so I emailed UPC and here is what I got back
    here is the reply:
    Thank you for your email/letter. I am writing to you in response to your query regarding the €7.75 broadband standalone charge.

"A €7.75 standalone charge is automatically added to broadband accounts who no longer subscribe to UPC’s television service.

As from the account I can see that you are not subscribed to UPC television service so a charge for standalone fees has been applied.
    For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."
    very disappointing really to see that UPC employee dont even understand simple rules
    I will keep chasing them or I will cancel it

Kind regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

kamin99 wrote: »
    just upgraded from stanalone 30 MB to 100Mb with phone via the Boards.ie form (see my previous post) , very happy with the speed and the upgrade process but checking my online profile i can see I'm still been charged a standalone service so I emailed UPC and here is what I got back
    here is the reply:
    Thank you for your email/letter. I am writing to you in response to your query regarding the €7.75 broadband standalone charge.

"A €7.75 standalone charge is automatically added to broadband accounts who no longer subscribe to UPC’s television service.

As from the account I can see that you are not subscribed to UPC television service so a charge for standalone fees has been applied.
    For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."
    very disappointing really to see that UPC employee dont even understand simple rules

Kind regards,

That's just someone being lazy. As you say, keep chasing it until it gets dealt with by someone who is not half asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

That's just someone being lazy. As you say, keep chasing it until it gets dealt with by someone who is not half asleep.

This, they are in total dissarray at the moment it seems... I even got a phone call from some Indian or Pakistani guy who want to discuss the change of address that apparently I had made to UPC....

Told him that was 2.5years ago and he was a bit late :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Still no luck on my saturday install!.
    Got a text this a.m saying ill be good in 30 minutes. So obviously a switch on from inside and no call out needed.
    I ran speed tests and nearly 1.5 hours later I texted him back sayin 'no change and even rebooted modem?'.

He rang me back a while ago saying that its probably a package the modem is meant to download to make 50MB good but it isnt taking for whatever reason and it’s a problem that’s happening a few people so hes coming around at about 5pm to put in new modem.

Has anyone heard of this?.

Im not convinced, I actually think we need a new cable for this 50MB braodband. This cable is old NTL cable(20 years old surely). Now he's tested the line strenght of this cable with a reading device that says the line strenght is capable but I dunno.
    Hes a good guy and i think hes doing all he can without having to ladder a new cable down the house because the device tells him existing cable is good enough.
    Or he may have to leave the existing cable to tv and run another in for braodband meaning the existing line isnt split for tv/broadband.
    Or maybe like he says a new modem will work the oracle. Hopefully getting closer to resolving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Bloody outsourced call centre just rang me AGAIN about my "house move" that was never requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

kamin99 wrote: »
    here is the reply:

Kind regards,

Had the same thing, I just have the BB and phone no TV. I just called the loyalty department and it was sorted out there and then. Thre is no point in talkign to the customer service department, as for whatever reason they just reply of a script.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Still no luck on my saturday install!.
    Got a text this a.m saying ill be good in 30 minutes. So obviously a switch on from inside and no call out needed.
    I ran speed tests and nearly 1.5 hours later I texted him back sayin 'no change and even rebooted modem?'.

He rang me back a while ago saying that its probably a package the modem is meant to download to make 50MB good but it isnt taking for whatever reason and it’s a problem that’s happening a few people so hes coming around at about 5pm to put in new modem.

Has anyone heard of this?.

Im not convinced, I actually think we need a new cable for this 50MB braodband. This cable is old NTL cable(20 years old surely). Now he's tested the line strenght of this cable with a reading device that says the line strenght is capable but I dunno.
    Hes a good guy and i think hes doing all he can without having to ladder a new cable down the house because the device tells him existing cable is good enough.
    Or he may have to leave the existing cable to tv and run another in for braodband meaning the existing line isnt split for tv/broadband.
    Or maybe like he says a new modem will work the oracle. Hopefully getting closer to resolving it.

I had a similar type problem - the modem didn't get provisioned properly and the old modem was still attached to the account. When it did get provisioned (in the end) it required another call to have the speed bumped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Im stuck with 25Mb as the new speeds are not available in my area! :mad:

Advertisement