Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

is anyone using windows home server with the 100mb and if so are they getting full speed downloads?

I can get 100mb+ on the upc speedtest with my laptop with its gigabit connection but i cannot get over 60mb on pc with windows home server(whs). The pc has a gigabit card, 4gb ram and 2.4ghz dual core processor. Its nothing to do with cables. For some reason whs is limiting the speed. I've tried tcp optimizer and also a patch that allows more tcp connections but neither of them made a different. Seem to have the same problem with a xp laptop. My windows 7 laptop goes full speed.

also i can transfer files to and from the whs pc at 40MB+ per second so it should be able to handle 11/12MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

is anyone using windows home server with the 100mb and if so are they getting full speed downloads?

I can get 100mb+ on the upc speedtest with my laptop with its gigabit connection but i cannot get over 60mb on pc with windows home server(whs). The pc has a gigabit card, 4gb ram and 2.4ghz dual core processor. Its nothing to do with cables. For some reason whs is limiting the speed. I've tried tcp optimizer and also a patch that allows more tcp connections but neither of them made a different. Seem to have the same problem with a xp laptop. My windows 7 laptop goes full speed.

Make sure full duplex or auto negotaion is set in the advanced settings for the network cards driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

auto detect is on and its connecting at 1Gbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

parsi wrote: »
    I had a similar type problem - the modem didn't get provisioned properly and the old modem was still attached to the account. When it did get provisioned (in the end) it required another call to have the speed bumped.

Yeah sounds similar. I got the second call out today with the second modem and still the same thing after him phoning in to get them to provision. They said they done it already but they are obviously missing something. He says its just needs to be activated properly by someone in the office but there seems to be two offices and to get the right person!. He didnt want to say too much but seems everyone isnt rowing in the same direction.

No closer to getting resolved. Should i chase UPC up or leave it to him. I asked him this and he says he will follow it up but i signed the green sheet and he phoned them already a few times so what motivation has he to get it resolved. I dont know the best route to getting this resolved from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Shlippery

They rang me last week and told me there was no plans for any broadband in Tuam. They said it was too "rural" :( Heartbreak...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

New modem finally arrived today. Getting speeds of 27.75MB ATM, the speed test "hand" goes above 30MB the odd time but it's final medium is 27.75MB.

Ordered the 50MB, anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Im stuck with 25Mb as the new speeds are not available in my area! :mad:

"Stuck with 25MB" :D

if only we could roll the clock back 5yrs, 2 yrs even...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

upc emailed me today, said I'd hear from the courier in the next four days
    fiiinaly

1310290177.png
    Boom! (thats wireless btw)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yeah sounds similar. I got the second call out today with the second modem and still the same thing after him phoning in to get them to provision. They said they done it already but they are obviously missing something. He says its just needs to be activated properly by someone in the office but there seems to be two offices and to get the right person!. He didnt want to say too much but seems everyone isnt rowing in the same direction.

No closer to getting resolved. Should i chase UPC up or leave it to him. I asked him this and he says he will follow it up but i signed the green sheet and he phoned them already a few times so what motivation has he to get it resolved. I dont know the best route to getting this resolved from here.

I logged a call with Tech Support and let them do the running. The installer has moved on to other calls and from what I can see once your modem is receiving a signal (even if its an error) then there's not much more he can do.

• Advertisement

parsi wrote: »
    I logged a call with Tech Support and let them do the running. The installer has moved on to other calls and from what I can see once your modem is receiving a signal (even if its an error) then there's not much more he can do.

You probably missed my post just above!.
    Thats what i done via email because of what you mentioned earlier. I put it to them i was getting 20MB but could you check to see if its provisioned properly?. I got a call and email this evening to say i was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 healyp

I just jumped and signed up for UPC's 25Mb + phone service. My worry is with the 15€ dongle for my (wired) desktop that they're sending out.

I run linux on my desktop box and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with getting the dongle to work with it.

Thanks for any advice / suggestions,
    Pa H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just as an FYI, i got my bill in the other day and i was being charged the extra price non-new customer rate for my 100mbps and phone, so i mailed support & got the usual canned "only for new customers" response.

i replied that this wasn't acceptable and that i knew some existing customers had been given the bundle €57 per month BB & Phone deal and didn't get the modem charge and asked that they either put me on the cheaper package or pass me on to customer loyalty as i was not happy.

1h later i get an email saying they passed me on to the relevant department and that they'd be in contact. 1h after that, i get a call from cust. loyalty saying they'd put me on the bundle package (no argument at all, i didn't even have to ask her again) and that it would be added to my bill, but that i'd have to pay the current bill and it would be credited back to me & that i'd need to sign up to a new 12 month contract, but that's not an issue since i've been on the 100mbps for 2 weeks on a new contract anyway.

so if you get charged the full whack, just kick up a fuss and they'll sort it out, no questions asked. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

dogpile wrote: »

I feel your suffering. 1311457011.png

There is 100meg in my area but I need a bit of help with a cash flow problem.

Anybody any ideas?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dogpile wrote: »

Point taken, however this is 5 years later and I'm still stuck on 25Mb.

Stop living in the past my friend the future in now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Point taken, however this is 5 years later and I'm still stuck on 25Mb.

Stop living in the past my friend the future in now!

This is faster then Eircoms fastest pack.

i think that now UPC have (almost) fully rolled out 100mbps its probably time for us all to stop using eircom as any kind of broadband benchmark. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think that now UPC have (almost) fully rolled out 100mbps its probably time for us all to stop using eircom as any kind of broadband benchmark. :pac:

It's not in Waterford yet. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Anyone else get charged two activation fees? Looks like they charged me for the phone and the broadband where as I thought there would only be the one for the bundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

ttcomet wrote: »
    Anyone else get charged two activation fees? Looks like they charged me for the phone and the broadband where as I thought there would only be the one for the bundle.

Surprise surprise....typical UPC...again :confused:

They messed up my bill too....

I moved from a regular €49.74 for the 30Mb (€42)+Standalone charge(€7.74) to 100Mb+Anytime World for what I was told (& according to their website) is a total of €62 per month..

Viewing my first online bill this evening after moving to the new bundle, I can see it looks like they are trying to charge me the individual 100Mb charge, a separate Phone+Anytime Charge and I've been charged phone usage (when I know we've only dialled local / national numbers since getting the phone) - all local/national call charges are meant to be included in the €62 per month bundle price..

I'll just have to remain calm & call them tomorrow morning..what a crap company to deal with in some respects - to be honest I sort of expected this to happen & knew I'd have to chase to get it sorted but its still a pain :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

stimpson wrote: »
    There is a map of Dublin showing the upgrades to date.

http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png

My understanding is that they have to run fibre across the eves of the house and upgrade the substations to have the bandwidth for 50/100

I posted the other day saying that I tried to upgrade to the 50mb package but when I did it said that I was already on it but still have my 30mb speeds, guy rings from UPC a little while later and says that my area isn't upgraded yet I thought this was a little BS thinking he just didn't know but going by your map I am in the area in Drimnagh that isn't upgraded yet :(

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Just had a skim through the thread...

I signed up to 30Mb broadband, anytime phone, Digital+ Max, the works... About 2 months ago.

If I give them a ring, which one of the new packages would I be entitled to? And would there be a charge other than the cost of the new modem?

Surely existing customers are entitled. Seen as if I had signed up today I would be getting 100Mb and not 30Mb

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You can get the 50mb package if you upgrade, you have to enter a 12 month contract with them. Im not too sure if there is a self install option on the 50, if theres not then all you pay is for the install, but I don't think you will have to pay for the router.

[QUOTE=Duffff-Man;72417560]You can get the 50mb package if you upgrade, you have to enter a 12 month contract with them. Im not too sure if there is a self install option on the 50, if theres not then all you pay is for the install, but I don't think you will have to pay for the router.[/QUOTE]

I got this for €5 extra pm but i didnt get the extra tv channels like ESPN Classic etc just the 50MB upgrade. I pitched for the channels too but the guy pulled me up like i was making a pass on his sister.
    There is no self install and you dont have to pay for the router.Just the €20 install fee(but i havent got billed yet!).

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I'll just have to remain calm & call them tomorrow morning..what a crap company to deal with in some respects - to be honest I sort of expected this to happen & knew I'd have to chase to get it sorted but its still a pain :mad:
    do what i did.

first of all, just expect that they will always make a hames of it, that way you'll never be disappointed and if they do do something right, it'll be a nice surprise. :)

second of all, send an email to support saying they've overcharged you and ou know for a fact that existing customers have been getting the 'new customer' bundle price and having the modem fee waived and that if they can't do that for you, you'd like them to pass you onto the loyalty department to have it sorted out.

took a day or so for them to respond initially, but as soon as they did it was sorted in a couple of hours.

you'll probably have to sign up to a new 12 month contract on the bundle (because of their billing system), but it's only been out a couple of weeks, so you won't be losing much.

you also have to live with paying the extra on the bill and then having a refund for the overcharge credited to your account to come off your next bill, but it's a small thing really to have it all sorted imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

vibe666 wrote: »
    do what i did.

first of all, just expect that they will always make a hames of it, that way you'll never be disappointed and if they do do something right, it'll be a nice surprise. :)

second of all, send an email to support saying they've overcharged you and ou know for a fact that existing customers have been getting the 'new customer' bundle price and having the modem fee waived and that if they can't do that for you, you'd like them to pass you onto the loyalty department to have it sorted out.

took a day or so for them to respond initially, but as soon as they did it was sorted in a couple of hours.

you'll probably have to sign up to a new 12 month contract on the bundle (because of their billing system), but it's only been out a couple of weeks, so you won't be losing much.

you also have to live with paying the extra on the bill and then having a refund for the overcharge credited to your account to come off your next bill, but it's a small thing really to have it all sorted imho.

Thanks vibe666..

I was talking with their Customer Care Team this morning & to be fair - they acknowledged immediately something was wrong (I was expecting to have to fight etc..), although its hard not to miss the mess my bill is in :)

I'd no problem with the new 12 month contact - I was aware of that part & had been told that in advance of upgrading.

As is typical with these types of companies, I do have to wait for a credit to be applied on my 'next next' bill :rolleyes:

They've made some adjustment to the current one so its reduced (although I'll never understand why they can't fix things in one go..) & then I'll be credited more on the following bill & then from July, it should be €62 Per Month flat from that point.

Some part of the bundle had not been applied properly to my account so I was being overcharged & also in addition charged for all local & national calls (even though they could see I had Anytime World).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I tried to order online and upgrading my existing 30mb. The systems says I'm already on 100mb and so can't process the order. I logged into the chat window and was told;

"You can't order broadband online if you already have broadband. That would mean you would have 2 broadband accounts and that is why the web site will not let you order... You need to call our customer service team on 1908 to do this."

Is this the case? I'd like to save paying the full install fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ttcomet wrote: »
    bonoman66 wrote: »
    Surprise surprise....typical UPC...again :confused:

They messed up my bill too....

I moved from a regular €49.74 for the 30Mb (€42)+Standalone charge(€7.74) to 100Mb+Anytime World for what I was told (& according to their website) is a total of €62 per month..

Viewing my first online bill this evening after moving to the new bundle, I can see it looks like they are trying to charge me the individual 100Mb charge, a separate Phone+Anytime Charge and I've been charged phone usage (when I know we've only dialled local / national numbers since getting the phone) - all local/national call charges are meant to be included in the €62 per month bundle price..

Same here. An activation fee for €40 and an installation fee for €50. They do separate the broadband and phone on the bill, but the combined amount should be what you agreed to (€57 for 100Mb and phone).

It's not quite as bad as you think though. There will be a pro-rata charge from when you upgraded to the bill date (mine was dated May 21), and the back charge goes from May 12th to 20th, with the 1 month running from May 21st to June 20th. This will result in a slightly more than €57 charge for the broadband and phone. In my case, it's 8 extra days, which is €15.20 for both.

Now, this is where you need to check something, as they applied the pro-rata from the date I ordered (12th), and not the day it was installed (16th), so there should have only been 4 days applied and not 8.

Next charge was €40 for equipment activation, which I was told about by the Retentions Dept, and I accepted. But there was also an installation charge of €49.99 which I was not told about, and would not have accepted. They say this is for the technician visit, but I was told that it would be a single €40 for installation/activation.

At the end of the bill you'll see the credits for disconnecting your old service. In my case, this was disconnect of 30Mb, from the 16th of May. Interesting that they were charging me for 100Mb from the 12th, but got the disconnect of 30Mb correct on the day of install. This credit is actually correct. There is also a credit back on the remaining stand alone charge, which they dated the 13th on my bill.

So, I rang them earlier and got all that taken off. My bill is €148.67, and they owe me €57.59, which they won't credit until the next bill. My next bill should therefore be -59c.

I'll be watching that one closely, and they better not fu*k that one up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

grizzly wrote: »
    Is this the case? I'd like to save paying the full install fee.

Unfortunately you can't. You can always try to argue that they should remove the fee since you're an existing customer, and they might do it depending on who you get through to.

Just watch the bill for additional charges, as in my post above. Take note of who you talk to, and the date/time of any calls. The rep was able to check the notes on my account and found that there was indeed no mention of the €49.99 installation fee, therefore I shouldn't pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

im currently paying 34euro for 20mb , does this mean il get an upgrade to 25mb , the way they have done with previous speeds?
    sorry if this was answered already as ive just seen the thread.

Advertisement