Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

fionny wrote: »
    So whats the story with this... looks all wrong to me, my first bill since changing to 100meg + phone for 57euro:

Digital Telephony− Basic 1 09/05/11−27/06/11 8.10 21.0% 9.80
    Digital Telephony − Freetime World Pack 1 09/05/11−27/06/11 9.44 21.0% 11.42
    Total for XXX 17.54 21.22
    Total for Telephony 17.54 21.22

INTERNET
    Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb 1 14/05/11−27/06/11 78.79 21.0% 95.34
    Total for Internet 78.79 95.34
    Total for Subscriptions 116.56

OTHER CHARGES
    Digital Telephony − First Handset Charge 1 09/05/11 12.40 21.0% 15.00
    Non Direct−Debit Charge 1 27/05/11 2.47 21.0% 2.99
    Total for Other charges 17.99

CREDITS AND ADJUSTMENTS
    INTERNET
    Disconnect Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge 1 10/05/11 −3.84 21.0% −4.65
    Disconnect Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb 1 14/05/11 −16.20 21.0% −19.60
    Total for Internet −20.04 −24.25
    Total for Credits and adjustments −24.25

Bill Total: 110.31

Why am I billed so much for the internet and Phone!
    Because you're being billed for 1.5 months + fixed cost for the equipment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

el dude wrote: »
    So is there a way to get around the standalone charge for not having a TV subscription?
    call or email and complain and ask them to remove it and if they refuse, ask to be transferred to the customer loyalty department and they will do it for you, usually with no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Nody wrote: »
    Because you're being billed for 1.5 months + fixed cost for the equipment etc.

Rang them this morning querying it anyway for full piece of mind... they billed me for an extra week of phone even though they had not installed it until later that month. Also they had not properly applied the 57euro package to my account hence the large bill for broadband... all sorted now with credits applied to my account. Fairly painless to be fair to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yakuza wrote: »
    I've been getting the run around this last week. 50mb finally properly ordered (after talking to a sales person that knew what they were talking about) on Friday, am still waiting on a call from courier company to arrange modem delivery. UPC swear it was sent to them, they have no record of it...grrrrr

I finally got sorted this weekend. I rang customer service last Thursday when I got my bill that included the €40 connection fee. I pointed out that I hadn't been contacted by the courier company, let alone connected. The rep I was speaking to was very helpful; she was able to have the corrupted sales record (upgrade with no modem, as set up by the muppette I spoke to almost 3 weeks ago) removed from my account and a fresh order.
    That was last Thursday. On Friday I get a call from the courier company, agree a slot from 9:00am - 1:00om on Saturday. On Sat morning, 9:05, courier arrives with new modem, takes away old one. By 10:00 (I had to do some jiggery pokery on the router to sort out DMZ and its internal IP address etc) I'm up and running on the new Thompson at 50 meg, sweet!

Ignoring the fiasco of my corrupted order, I got sorted in two days, not too shabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Hey there, don't know if I'm posting this in the right thread and I'm assuming that this issue has been done to death so please bare with me.

I've been looking at the UPC Fibre Power Starter with the TV, Broadband & Phone for €60/month.

I'm just wondering;

(a) Are there any catches to this?
    (b) When does the offer end?
    (c) What will the charges be after the offer ends?
    Also, (d) Has anyone had any problems so far?
    And finally, (e) Is it better than Eircom?

Thanks in advance!

Killer Pigeon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Yes but that wouldn't be hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Hey there, don't know if I'm posting this in the right thread and I'm assuming that this issue has been done to death so please bare with me.

I've been looking at the UPC Fiber Power Starter with the TV, Broadband & Phone for €60/month.

I'm just wondering;

Thanks in advance!

Killer Pigeon.

The only catch is you have to live in an area that UPC can offer all 3 services.

If you live in an upgraded area the service is rock solid.

The only problem I have is the phone won't bloody stop ringing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ranicand wrote: »
    The only catch is you have to live in an area that UPC can offer all 3 services.

If you live in an upgraded area the service is rock solid.

The only problem I have is the phone won't bloody stop ringing.:D

When does the offer end (i.e., €60/month)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

No idea sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've been looking at the UPC Fibre Power Starter with the TV, Broadband & Phone for €60/month.

I'm just wondering;

Thanks in advance!

Killer Pigeon.

[a] If you're a new customer - no catches or bs that I'm aware of
    Dunno
    [c] Dunno
    [d] This thread is mainly existing customers bitching (me especially included, because I'm special :rolleyes:)
    And my speeds are excellent.
    [e] Mongolian Smoke Signalling is better than Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

el dude wrote: »
    So is there a way to get around the standalone charge for not having a TV subscription?

They do waive it after a bit of faffing around. They seem to like to haggle. I'll say one thing though - their customer service is light years ahead of when they were Chorus. Since I got upgraded I've had to ring for a few minor things and I never got off the phone feeling angry and frustrated.

also, if you're signing up as a new customer, make sure you use the boards.ie UPC offer so you can get a €50 voucher too, just to sweeten the deal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Those speeds make my connection look slow!

Its a shame Magnet dont have a good HD TV service... might just get TV with UPC but I will leave my BB with Magnet, best one I have ever seen...

1320538733.png

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Bohrio,do you game online?been wondering what Magnets pings are like to UK?

SaKuRa wrote: »
    Bohrio,do you game online?been wondering what Magnets pings are like to UK?

I do, they are very good

I'd say around 4-6 ms on average on a good day

Some days like today might be a bit more than that 11-12 ms, but that's as bad as it gets! and I am downloading torrents now.. legal stuff of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Wow those pings are great,they through a PC or console?

SaKuRa wrote: »
    Wow those pings are great,they through a PC or console?

PC but I play on XBL and PSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone know what the old broadband speeds and prices were before the upgrade? I got a text from UPC saying they had upgraded my package and to logon to upc.ie to check for details, so I registered an account and logged on to be told I had been upgraded from 20mb to 30mb.

2 things are strange about this:

1: I thought they didn't do 30mb anymore?
    2: I signed up a few years ago to the broadband ultra package which was €42 for 25mb, so I looked back through the bills online and it appears I was switched to 20mb last August (without being notified) but was still getting charged €42 for the privilege. I thought it was €32 for 20mb or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

How long does it take for UPC to send out the new router.
    I had the 20Mb package and upgraded to the 50Mb package Tuesday 24th but still nothing :-(

Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

can anyone confirm what work needs to be done by the engineers when they call up to the house to upgrade to 100mb?
    is re-wiring necessary or the old cable will do the job? is it a matter to just plug in some new box and test it connected to a pc?
    i've joined them 2 years ago so the connection is fairly new
    I am doing some works at home which is a bit of a mess,so i know these people want pleanty of space to do their job

also if u cancel the tv, digital basic, do they take the pace box away with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMastero

I got my 100meg today woop woop :)

Best speed test so far... Iv ye to see a full 10Mb/s Download..

1322685817.png

j4vier wrote: »
    can anyone confirm what work needs to be done by the engineers when they call up to the house to upgrade to 100mb?
    is re-wiring necessary or the old cable will do the job?
    i've had their broadband since november 2008 and they replaced the old chorus box on the wall when they first put it in, then i had some issues with the 20mbps and they re-wired from the house to the road sometime between 2009 & 2010 and when they installed the 100mbps they still re-wired from the house to the road again and changed the box on the wall again inside, so i guess the answer is yes, although they didn't actually check the signal levels on the existing kit first and when they knocked on my door, they didn't even know what they were there for until i told them, so they may have just been doing it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've had their broadband since november 2008 and they replaced the old chorus box on the wall when they first put it in, then i had some issues with the 20mbps and they re-wired from the house to the road sometime between 2009 & 2010 and when they installed the 100mbps they still re-wired from the house to the road again and changed the box on the wall again inside, so i guess the answer is yes, although they didn't actually check the signal levels on the existing kit first and when they knocked on my door, they didn't even know what they were there for until i told them, so they may have just been doing it regardless.

As far as i know UPC have upgraded all there cables for fibre optic over the last 12 months , i know the Dublin area has been done a while now , im currently on there 20 mbs and was getting 1.5 upload , recently when i done a speedtest this has gone up to 2 mbs upload ,
    now while 100 mbs is an awsome speed to have and i would love to have such a speed , i just cant see the justice in paying 80 euro a month for it , we do a hell of a lot of gaming and downloading in my house and have never had any issues with the 20 mbs ,
    until the price is a little more affordable i think i will be staying at this speed for the time being .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Anyone know what these errors mean? Internet went offline from ~1-5am.
    Thu Jun 02 05:22:59 2011 Warning (5) Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    Thu Jun 02 05:21:00 2011 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=00:26:24:91:02:4c;CMTS-MAC=0...
    Thu Jun 02 05:20:59 2011 Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
    Thu Jun 02 05:20:43 2011 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
    Thu Jun 02 05:19:30 2011 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

is re-wiring necessary or the old cable will do the job? is it a matter to just plug in some new box and test it connected to a pc?
    i've joined them 2 years ago so the connection is fairly new
    I am doing some works at home which is a bit of a mess,so i know these people want pleanty of space to do their job

They replace all their coaxial cable with new cabling which is better quality and better sheilded to prevent the degradation of the signal. Its in your favour to have it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They will replace the cable coming from the road into the house, but they don't need a lot of room to do it. They just need access to the junction bo in your house.
    also if u cancel the tv, digital basic, do they take the pace box away with them?

Why would you want to keep it? It's no good to you if you cancel the service on it.
    almanu wrote: »
    now while 100 mbs is an awsome speed to have and i would love to have such a speed , i just cant see the justice in paying 80 euro a month for it , we do a hell of a lot of gaming and downloading in my house and have never had any issues with the 20 mbs ,
    until the price is a little more affordable i think i will be staying at this speed for the time being .

Its €57 a month for 100Mbps and home phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

After three weeks, There appears to be another delay on getting the 100MB line installed, Funny thing is the only reason i found out about it was because i asked, It's a little ridiculous because they would have had the technicians come out again on Saturday and not be able to do anything.

Not sure why there is another delay though. Really hope this isn't going to be long, I have been have a ****ty connection for the last few months and new the lines would have fixed that issue.

Problem isn't the fact that its taken its time, Its mainly not knowing how long its going to take and not being kept in the loop.

Receive Power Level -17.2 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level - 56.7 dBmV

As you can see from them results, They are extremely bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

good to know that they don't need too much space, I don't want to keep the box, i actually wanna get rid of it cos i never watch anything on it
    thanks for the replies

almanu wrote: »
    me neither and it's a good job, because it's not €80 a month any more. :D

i'm paying €57 a month (total) for their new 100mbps broadband and phone bundle with free international evening and weekend landline calls.

since i was paying the normal €49.75 (inc. standalone charge for not having TV too) for broadband and approx. €7.50 for phone and then another (approx.) €7.50 for the international evening & weekend landline calls, i'm now getting the same thing, but with 100mbps broadband and twice the cap for about 10 quid less per month than i was for the 30mbps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

vibe666 wrote: »
    me neither and it's a good job, because it's not €80 a month any more. :D

i'm paying €57 a month (total) for their new 100mbps broadband and phone bundle with free international evening and weekend landline calls.

since i was paying the normal €49.75 (inc. standalone charge for not having TV too) for broadband and approx. €7.50 for phone and then another (approx.) €7.50 for the international evening & weekend landline calls, i'm now getting the same thing, but with 100mbps broadband and twice the cap for about 10 quid less per month than i was for the 30mbps. :)

Aha i see , so they lowered the price , thats not that bad in all fairness , still alot more that the 30 euro a month im paying , i just dont see how it would justify paying twice as much , i guess when it comes down a bit more i might give it a shot , best of luck with it btw.

Advertisement