Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

almanu wrote: »
    Aha i see , so they lowered the price , thats not that bad in all fairness , still alot more that the 30 euro a month im paying , i just dont see how it would justify paying twice as much , i guess when it comes down a bit more i might give it a shot , best of luck with it btw.
    thanks, already making the most of it. :)

just as a bit of an aside, they've updated all their packages, so if you plan on staying with them anyway, you can get a better package for the same price (or potentially less) just for committing to another 12 month contract which you can do even if you were only 1 month into an existing contract with them.

bk has conveniently put all the info in post #1 on prices & speeds etc. if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

almanu wrote: »
    i guess when it comes down a bit more i might give it a shot , best of luck with it btw.

I can't see that happening. It's already the cheapest and fastest, with no competition at all in the market against them. The current price is actually very good, considering what the old prices were, and what the competition charge. It's less than you pay for 8Mb with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Was maxing out at 22mb over wireless on the 50mb connection with a dell studio laptop with 802.11 b/g internal wifi card. eBay order just arrived. 15 quid for a "n" card: popped it in and tested at 49.5mb over wifi. Jasus, it's quick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yakuza wrote: »
    I finally got sorted this weekend. I rang customer service last Thursday when I got my bill that included the €40 connection fee. I pointed out that I hadn't been contacted by the courier company, let alone connected. The rep I was speaking to was very helpful; she was able to have the corrupted sales record (upgrade with no modem, as set up by the muppette I spoke to almost 3 weeks ago) removed from my account and a fresh order.
    That was last Thursday. On Friday I get a call from the courier company, agree a slot from 9:00am - 1:00om on Saturday. On Sat morning, 9:05, courier arrives with new modem, takes away old one. By 10:00 (I had to do some jiggery pokery on the router to sort out DMZ and its internal IP address etc) I'm up and running on the new Thompson at 50 meg, sweet!

Ignoring the fiasco of my corrupted order, I got sorted in two days, not too shabby.
    Just as an addendum - yesterday I got bumped to 100mb (went from €47 package to €57) *without* an engineer coming to the house. As noted above, I did a self-install a week ago, followed up by a phone call to customer service yesterday afternoon. When I got home from work, I ran a speed test (didn't even recycle the modem) and it was at 100Mb. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

I just called UPC and asked for the 50mb bundle for 75 euro and the first sales person said i cant give you that i'll put you through to customer care she also said i couldnt have it after asking her manager(i doubt she asked anyone) any ideas why are some getting it and some people not ??????????????? just to add i am an exsiting user

• Advertisement

make a fuss about it and ask to be put through to the customer loyalty department and they'll sort you out, no questions asked (or at least they have done, up to now).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jmcgrath

Hello all,

I've been reading through many pages of good advice here, so kudos for everyone giving their experiences.

I'm looking to upgrade myself and obviously want to go into the call with as much info as possible - as seems to be the best strategy.

I have the old 30Mb/s package with Digital MAX +HD TV, and Anytime World Phone. I pay €86.25 for the package each month.

I'm reasonably confident I can ask for the 50Mb/s upgrade. I was speaking to a live chat rep on their website, and although he couldn't 'do' anything, he did say I should be able to upgrade my bundle if I had got all my existing services at the same time. Well, I've been a customer with that bundle since November 2010, so still in my contract =/

But after reading many posts here, I'm thinking about asking for the 100Mb/s option. According to the website it is available in my area (just outside Portlaoise town) and according to the bundle page on the website you can add it as an 'extra' to the 50Mb/s bundle for €10.00 more.

Any advice on how I should approach this?

I'm thinking I should stick with the "I am being charged 86.25 for a service that is no longer for sale to the public (the 30Mb/s/tv/phone bundle) and with the 100Mb/s add on to the new 50Mb/s bundle being €85.00 I am still paying more for a service that can be up to 70% worse..."

Is this a fair tactic? I called up SALES today and was told to call customer loyalty on Tuesday (bank holiday weekend and all).

I really don't mind paying €40 for a callout engineer and new router, but is my premise above the best way to go about this in your opinion? I don't really want to cancel if it means going back to Sky for TV, but if thats my only point of argument with them I might end up shooting myself in the foot?! lol

I don't mind to continue paying €86.25 if its 100Mb/s.

I also sent the form for the boards.ie voucher, should I mention this to the Customer Loyalty person as well? I'll probably get a separate call back from that form now before Tuesday .. eek

Thanks for any input.

i think you need to be a new customer to get the voucher, but as for customer loyalty, they haven't been making a fuss at all about giving people the cheap upgrade price to existing customers.

it just seems to be that if you are bothered enough to ask for it they will give it to you, no questions asked. at least that's my personal experience and seems to be the general consensus here so far.

i'd planned on telling them pretty much what you were that it wasn't fair to penalise existing customers etc. etc. i didn't have to, after getting nowhere with the regular sales/support i asked to speak to cust. loyalty (via email) and they just called me back and did it on the spot without even asking me anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jmcgrath

Thanks for the reply.

Well after sending in the voucher form anyway, I got a call back from 'Mark' the 'only person in the office' lol... who explained the voucher was only for people getting a new service only (nothing about new/existing customers ) so I'll miss out on that - but no biggie.

He said that he could sort things out for upgrading but if you want to remove any thing it would have to be through Loyalty department.

I asked about the 50Mb/s and he said it wasn't an issue, that it would bring my €86.25 bill for 30Mb/s+tv+phone to €85.00 and that a new router would be required for the DOC3.0 and that it would be €40.00 activation/installation fee.

It does lock you into a new 12 month contract and that both 50Mb/s and 100Mb/s were available in Portlaoise.

I made sure to ask about the 100Mb/s when it wasn't forthcoming from him and that it was a €10.00 extra from the 50 Mb/s bundle, and that was fine.

So my options are:

- Continue to pay €86.25 for 30Mb/s+tv+phone ... LOL
    - Pay €85.00 for 50Mb/s+TV+Phone(anytime)... can't complain
    - Pay €95.00 for 100Mb/s+TV+Phone(anytime).. 50% more for €10.00 (I know its not guaranteed though)

One interesting thing he did say was that for anyone with Windows Vista systems on their PC that there can be issues with the 100Mb/s connections. That from the tests they did and from calls they get in, people with Vista are having issues which prevent them from getting the full benefit from the 100Mb/s lines. Whereas XP and 7 are fine. He didn't have any more particulars about that.

So it seems going in with information is key. When I originally started talking about "speaking with other representatives about bundle upgrading" he said, " Where you speaking to Jason?" ... so make sure to get names, and I felt it was important to say I had been speaking with other reps (due to records its prob best that this is true and not a lie on your part - but it does open the door to you saying that other reps gave you the impression of X and Y - once you don't claim outlandish things.)

Just have to decide what to do now, sign up for 85 or 95 (with the chance my 100Mb/s service will encounter problems due to Vista) or wait until Tuesday to talk to Loyalty about removing services, say HD and Anytime world to bring the 85 down to 75 and the 95 to 85.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I wonder if everyone that is taking the Freetime World really read the T+Cs ;)

Seriously now, calling this phone package "Freetime World" is a bit much........reminds me of the US World Series in Ice Hockey
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/117/p/3
    The 21 international destinations are:
      -> Australia,
      -> Austria, Belgium, Denmark,France,Germany,Greece,Italy,Liechtenstein,Luxembourg,Netherlands,Norway,Poland,Portugal,Romania,Slovenia,Sweden,Switzerland,United Kingdom
      -> USA (Excludes Hawaii and Alaska)
      -> Canada

Then you see the rates for the REST of the world....http://www.upc.ie/phone/tariffs/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

It's most westernized countries. Pretty good deal IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Those countries are where most of the "diaspora" live. As above poster said, pretty good deal.

it's interesting (to me at least with friends in Spain) that on their tariffs, Spain is included in band 3 with most of the other countries in the 'freetime world' tariff, but that Spain isn't actually included in the bundle for some reason.

if i want to call Portugal (or even the USA or Oz) it's free in the bundle, but if i want to call Spain it's anywhere from 20c to 24c per minute to call depending om if it's the weekend or evening.

seems like a bit of an omission. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I wonder if everyone that is taking the Freetime World really read the T+Cs ;)

Seriously now, calling this phone package "Freetime World" is a bit much........reminds me of the US World Series in Ice Hockey
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/117/p/3
    The 21 international destinations are:
      -> Australia,
      -> Austria, Belgium, Denmark,France,Germany,Greece,Italy,Liechtenstein,Luxembourg,Netherlands,Norway,Poland,Portugal,Romania,Slovenia,Sweden,Switzerland,United Kingdom
      -> USA (Excludes Hawaii and Alaska)
      -> Canada

Then you see the rates for the REST of the world....http://www.upc.ie/phone/tariffs/

They could easily include calls to Hong Kong, Singapore and China in with that, as PSTN termination to these countries costs virtually nothing (even to mobiles).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

Hi all, I'm on the 'old' fibre power ultimate package with 30mb (on the pants Cisco router), digital max and anytime worldphone. The main problem I have with the package is that I use the wireless adaptor on my xbox 360 and it disconnects every so often, maybe once an hour or so. It could well be my fault as I don't really understand the whole static IP thing so I haven't gone down that route. But I was just wondering has anyone had any problems using xbox live on the 50mb with the Thomson router?

Also, lately my PS3 can't find my SSID. Does anybody who understands routers better than me know if the 360 problem and the ps3 problem could be related? My laptop and phone connect to the wifi fine. Thanks for any help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's interesting (to me at least with friends in Spain) that on their tariffs, Spain is included in band 3 with most of the other countries in the 'freetime world' tariff, but that Spain isn't actually included in the bundle for some reason.

seems like a bit of an omission. :(
    :D thats a tongue in cheek comment if ever i heard one.

Just think of the amount of immigrants working here from Brazil, India, Philippines, South Korea and Spain - think we both know why none of these countries are included in the World package.
    I just hope that customers are given the list before they start ringing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

:D thats a tongue in cheek comment if ever i heard one.

Just think of the amount of immigrants working here from Brazil, India, Philippines, South Korea and Spain - think we both know why none of these countries are included in the World package.
    I just hope that customers are given the list before they start ringing :D

It was a fair point aboiut Spain - plenty of people still live / holiday and work there. Why would a Dutch conglomorate discriminate against the quoted nationalities ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

stimpson wrote: »
    The Thompson router has USB on the back, so it may be possible to use as a NAS device or print server. Will have a poke about to see.

Oh, big thanks to bk for this thread. You should be on commission!

Has anyone used the USB on the back of the Thomson router yet? I'm looking to hook up a 1TB external hard drive to it, with all my music and photo's on it.

How would I go about doing this?

Also, I've tried to log in to 192.168.0.1 but it is asking for a Username and Password, does anyone know what would work here?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Also, I've tried to log in to 192.168.0.1 but it is asking for a Username and Password, does anyone know what would work here?

Got this part solved at least...

Login URL: http://192.168.0.1
    Username: <blank>
    Password: admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Hi Guys

Im having a few issues streaming from my Mac to PS3-ie(Some films are a bit Choppy)

Im basically looking to boost the signal a bit on my router if possible

Any suggestions?

Im on 50 mg UPC with the new white router..

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Kev. wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Im having a few issues streaming from my Mac to PS3-ie(Some films are a bit Choppy)

Im basically looking to boost the signal a bit on my router if possible

Any suggestions?

Im on 50 mg UPC with the new white router..

Thanks in advance

How is this relevant to this discussion?

What in Gods name are you on about...

To what discussion? Last I checked this is a UPC thread...

Surely asking people who have the same Router and Package as me a question, belongs in this thread or am I the thick one here?

What would you rather I create a new thread for it?

If you haven't got the answer and can provide no assistance whatsoever then I think your the one who should really stay out of this thread.

Really,some people........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Ok, let me do the search for you: UPC: EPC2425 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY
    Oh look, a thread about the configuration and possible speed issues of UPC's Cisco wireless modem. Could it be suitable for your question?

Or would it be better for you to ask about your Mac to PS3 streaming question on the conversation about UPC's broadband packages/prices?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Chosen wrote: »
    Ok, let me do the search for you: UPC: EPC2425 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY
    Oh look, a thread about the configuration and possible speed issues of UPC's Cisco wireless modem. Could it be suitable for your question?

No, it couldn't since he explicitly states he doesn't have the Cisco EPC2425 that is the focus of that thread.

Spear wrote: »
    No, it couldn't since he explicitly states he doesn't have the Cisco EPC2425 that is the focus of that thread.
    homer_doh.png
    Kev. wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Im on 50 mg UPC with the new white router.

Thanks in advance
    have you checked for interference from other wifi devices on the same channel as yours that could be causing issues?

if you have a windows or linux laptop you can download inSSIDer to check what wireless networks are in range of your house that could be interfering with your wireless signal and causing your streaming to stutter. if you only have a mac then there's a similar app called macstumbler that does the same sort of thing on a mac.

walk round your house, making sure you go to each window for a few seconds and it will scan for other wifi AP's and let you know which channels they are on so you can (hopefully) find a clear channel to change to to get better speed.

Thanks a million Vibe,

I've just done what you said and Channel 11 looks pretty clogged up at the moment.

Ill give it a go later...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Has anyone used the USB on the back of the Thomson router yet? I'm looking to hook up a 1TB external hard drive to it, with all my music and photo's on it.

Joe, AFAIK it isn't possible to hook up an external drive to the USB port on the Thomson :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So bloke called at the door contractor for UPC to say area has 50/100Mb package available I'm currently have the troublesome 30Mb Broadband max package with Analog Tv, as I can't avail of the offers on the first page, I'm just wondering what the best option would be for me to get either the 50 or 100Mb package? They guy at the door couldn't tell me! I currently have an eircom phone which costs me €49 every two months my Broadband Max is costing me €84 every two months and basic analog TV is costing €49.50 every two months. Anyone in a similar situation advise me whats the best option I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

So bloke called at the door contractor for UPC to say area has 50/100Mb package available I'm currently have the troublesome 30Mb Broadband max package with Analog Tv, as I can't avail of the offers on the first page, I'm just wondering what the best option would be for me to get either the 50 or 100Mb package? They guy at the door couldn't tell me! I currently have an eircom phone which costs me €49 every two months my Broadband Max is costing me €84 every two months and basic analog TV is costing €49.50 every two months. Anyone in a similar situation advise me whats the best option I can get?

Which ever package you pick , you will be saving a ton of money.

• Advertisement

Decaydub wrote: »
    Joe, AFAIK it isn't possible to hook up an external drive to the USB port on the Thomson :(
    correct unfortunately, there's no host mode on the USB port according to the manual, it's just an alternative wired connection instead of ethernet. bit of a throwback tbh, knew of a few older DSL modems that had it, but it seems odd they included it on a router capable (theoretically at least) of powering a 200Mbit/s internet connection. :)

Advertisement