Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

According to upc.ie, the dongles are €15 once off. You can get them in any tech/pc shop for similar/slightly more price.

Here one for €25.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/EDIMAX-EW7811Un-Nano-USB-WiFi-Adapter/303841/148.3

I got this edimax adapter yesterday. Its a tiny stub of an adapter thats hardly noticible. The excitement stops there!.
    I've got 50MB bb and the computer in the room beside the modem speedtests between 25-30MB off it. Which is a marginal improvement from the previous usb atlantic b/g adapter(20MB)
    The edimax has a signal reader on the taskbar and its signal strenght is averaging about 80%.
    The speed rate in the internet connection status is between 54-72mb.

Bit dissapointed its not getting more that and theres no interference according to issider but maybe thats the standard for a lower end usb adapter?. Im getting 50MB wireless off my laptop in the same room as the modem.
    Just wondering is this standard speed reading of a standard usb adapter or is anyone getting better/worse speeds with a usb adapter from an adjacent room on 50MB or 100MB from the white thompson modem?. Are the UPC €15 adapters good?.

Also whats annoying me is that it drops connection on restart. I've tried switching off the power save mode on the adapter but this hasnt helped. I have to go through the whole connect to a network and password routine on restart. I must reinstall the driver tonite. Any thoughts about this?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you have to remember that a laptop with a wireless N adapter built in will have 3 internal antenna of around 20-30cm each (to allow for much better mimo performance) that will be winding round inside the case and screen of your laptop, so you're not going to get anything like the same performance out of a stubby USB adapter with tiny antenna.

larger usb adapters will at least have some small antenna (antennae? :)) to offer improved performance, but it's still going to be a compromise.

the other thing to consider is that there may be other (non-wifi) devices using the 2.4ghz spectrum that could be causing interference for you. the only way to know for sure would be with a spectrum analyser, but they're pretty pricy and would be out of the budget of most home users, particularly as you could remove the problem at source (if it's even there at all) and just get a dual band router & 5ghz receivers for several home pc's for less than the cost a single spectrum analyser (which is what i did).

i just put a dual band wireless N mini-pci card in my wife's netbook (an intel pro 5300 off ebay, £15) and that's working perfectly now on 5ghz with my own linksys router (wireless is off on my thompson), although i haven't had a chance to test it yet, it seems a lot more stable than the 2.4ghz only wireless G one that was originally in it which was struggling to connect at all with all the other wireless in my area. :(

might do some speedtests on it this evening, but i was hoping to have time to put an SSD in it as well to speed it up a wee bit as it's starting to feel a bit sluggish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

So bloke called at the door contractor for UPC to say area has 50/100Mb package available I'm currently have the troublesome 30Mb Broadband max package with Analog Tv, as I can't avail of the offers on the first page, I'm just wondering what the best option would be for me to get either the 50 or 100Mb package? They guy at the door couldn't tell me! I currently have an eircom phone which costs me €49 every two months my Broadband Max is costing me €84 every two months and basic analog TV is costing €49.50 every two months. Anyone in a similar situation advise me whats the best option I can get?

Why can't you get the offers on the first page? As has been said here, a conversation with the customer loyalty department should see you sorted. Actually, given that you could add digital TV and phone, use the offer page and let them call you - http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer
    I have the digital+ value, phone (with freetime world) and 50mb bundle for €65 (€60 plus a fiver to double the BB from 25 to 50), something similar would save you €35+ per month. That's enough to not notice the next budget's impact on your salary :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

vibe666 Thanks for that info and those suggestions. Its only a bug bear project to get the max out of it or if i was missing something. That explains how my inbuilt netword card is better than a plug in, i didnt realise they had antenna. Theyre not gamers so i dont think they need dual band router & 5ghz receivers to prove a point!

vibe666 Thanks for that info and those suggestions. Its only a bug bear project to get the max out of it or if i was missing something. That explains how my inbuilt netword card is better than a plug in, i didnt realise they had antenna. Theyre not gamers so i dont think they need dual band router & 5ghz receivers to prove a point!
    you can get some usb antenna with external antenna attached which might improve things, but they can be a little unwieldy, or even some with antenna sockets so you can add your own if needed for better range.

i suspect that most of the smaller usb dongles just have the antenna as a small grid directly on the pcb like the one you can see (on the right in the 1st pic) that this guy has modded to add a pigtail so he can connect an external antenna: http://bit.ly/lax0DW

you can see why they don't always get the best reception. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote: »
    you can get some usb antenna with external antenna attached which might improve things, but they can be a little unwieldy, or even some with antenna sockets so you can add your own if needed for better range.

i suspect that most of the smaller usb dongles just have the antenna as a small grid directly on the pcb like the one you can see (on the right in the 1st pic) that this guy has modded to add a pigtail so he can connect an external antenna: http://bit.ly/lax0DW

you can see why they don't always get the best reception. :)

Even adding a usb extension cord can sometimes help get a better signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Does anyone know if UPC are planning on extending their network any time soon? Those look like some fantastic deals, but no good to those of us in Donegal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Decaydub wrote: »
    Joe, AFAIK it isn't possible to hook up an external drive to the USB port on the Thomson :(

Thanks, ah well! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

danthefan wrote: »
    Does anyone know if UPC are planning on extending their network any time soon? Those look like some fantastic deals, but no good to those of us in Donegal :(

Well their broadband/HDTV just became available in my part of D15 so I'm guessing they are constantly expanding. Worth ringing them and seeing if there is anything planned in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ordered the 100mbps today. Should be installed on Monday morning. Customer loyalty didn't take much convincing to put me on the "new customers only" BB and phone @€;57pm (had to pay a once off installation charge of €40 though. Not actually going to get the phone (have to pay €15 for it and its only going to end up costing me more money.

Right now I'm seriously concidering moving my gaming rig into the living room to avail of the speeds through wire, but how will I watch the Tb's of pron I'm inevitably going to download.

On a slightly unrelated note; I've started streaming movies and live TV through sky player on my xbox, and I'm wondering what kind of bandwidth I'm using? The only settings I get to choose are High, Med or low quality. High doesn't appear to be all that high though. Thoughts anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Sorry if this has been asked before (it probably has), but what [if any] wireless router models from Argos (or another major retailer) would work with UPC's 12Mb broadband package? I'd rather buy a cheaper one than pay the €49.99 once-off cost if possible!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

danthefan wrote: »
    You can save yourself the cost of the phonecall, its not going to happen.
    Well i can't say that for definite obviously,
    but I just can't see the business case for UPC.
    Maybe Letterkenny at a push,
    but there is plenty more low hanging fruit with respect to towns in Meath, Wicklow and Louth, towns in other counties such as Mullingar and Castlebar before they could justify Donegal, I would have thought.
    http://www.upc.ie/media/2009/6/30/map_ireland.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Decaydub wrote: »
    Why can't you get the offers on the first page? As has been said here, a conversation with the customer loyalty department should see you sorted. Actually, given that you could add digital TV and phone, use the offer page and let them call you - http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer
    I have the digital+ value, phone (with freetime world) and 50mb bundle for €65 (€60 plus a fiver to double the BB from 25 to 50), something similar would save you €35+ per month. That's enough to not notice the next budget's impact on your salary :rolleyes:

I wonder would they give me the 100mb with the package above if I payed €100. Also I don't want to go down the direct debit route with them, as i pay them via internet banking when I want. anyway filled in the boards offer form so I'll see when they ring me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I wonder would they give me the 100mb with the package above if I payed €100. Also I don't want to go down the direct debit route with them, as i pay them via internet banking when I want. anyway filled in the boards offer form so I'll see when they ring me

All irrelevent as I got a call regarding the boards offer telling me that 100/50 Meg packages are not available in my area, and that the UPC contractors who were calling to houses in my estate shouldn't have been offering these services, so looks like confusion reigns in UPC :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Can anyone confirm whether these stats are normal? Power lv seems quite high to me, is there anything that can help lower it?

Downstream Channels ChannelLock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol rateFrequencyPowerSNR
    1LockedQAM25685360537 16.0 dBmV42.0 dB
    2LockedQAM25665360537 15.9 dBmV42.0 dB
    3LockedQAM25675360537 15.6 dBmV42.3 dB
    4LockedQAM25655360537 15.7 dBmV41.7 dB
    5LockedQAM25615360537 13.8 dBmV41.9 dB
    6LockedQAM25625360537 13.3 dBmV41.8 dB
    7LockedQAM25635360537 13.5 dBmV41.7 dB
    8LockedQAM25645360537 13.5 dBmV41.7 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Here are my signal levels. (I'm on 50Mb so only 4 channels locked)

Downstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power SNR
    1 Locked QAM256 3 5360537 -0.6 dBmV 39.9 dB
    2 Locked QAM256 2 5360537 -0.3 dBmV 39.1 dB
    3 Locked QAM256 1 5360537 -0.4 dBmV 38.2 dB
    4 Locked QAM256 4 5360537 -0.3 dBmV 38.9 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Skittle wrote: »
    Here are my signal levels. (I'm on 50Mb so only 4 channels locked)

Downstream Channels
    Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power SNR
    1 Locked QAM256 3 5360537 -0.6 dBmV 39.9 dB
    2 Locked QAM256 2 5360537 -0.3 dBmV 39.1 dB
    3 Locked QAM256 1 5360537 -0.4 dBmV 38.2 dB
    4 Locked QAM256 4 5360537 -0.3 dBmV 38.9 dB
    I'm on 50mb too, your power lv seems to be the ideal range to aim for. Now to figure out wtf is up with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Just upped to the 100m from the 50m its perfect, i did the 50m as a self install and just phoned them up and 10 mins later bang 100m :)

rommy wrote: »
    Just upped to the 100m from the 50m its perfect, i did the 50m as a self install and just phoned them up and 10 mins later bang 100m :)

How much did you pay for the self install option?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

When i went from the 30m to the 50m it was 20 euros but from the 50m to the 100m their was no fee as she said i all ready had the equipment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

thinking of upgrading from 50 to 100mbs since it's only an extra 20. anyone having problems with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Got my bill of 119 rang them to ask what the bell they told me since I got a new package I need to pay for a month and a half I said fair enough how much will it be from now on I was told 77.50 euro I had war with her I was told it was only 52 for 50mb and phone she said yes 52 for bb and 18 for phone a 7.50 for stand alone charge I asked her were on their website does it state stand alone charge is only for new members she was a pig of a women I told her to put their package where the sun don't shine I want it canceked.

Within 2mins I was onto some one else he was saying I hear your not happy with Tue stand alone charge I reply saying not happy with the price I was told 52 euro for bb and phone he said 2 sec and then he change my package to the new one. I don't know why your one couldn't do that in the first place I say she thought I would just take that 77.50 price and say fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Cork24 wrote: »
    Got my bill of 119 rang them to ask what the bell they told me since I got a new package I need to pay for a month and a half I said fair enough how much will it be from now on I was told 77.50 euro I had war with her I was told it was only 52 for 50mb and phone she said yes 52 for bb and 18 for phone a 7.50 for stand alone charge I asked her were on their website does it state stand alone charge is only for new members she was a pig of a women I told her to put their package where the sun don't shine I want it canceked.

Within 2mins I was onto some one else he was saying I hear your not happy with Tue stand alone charge I reply saying not happy with the price I was told 52 euro for bb and phone he said 2 sec and then he change my package to the new one. I don't know why your one couldn't do that in the first place I say she thought I would just take that 77.50 price and say fair enough.

Well I doubt your attitude helped.

Those packages are only for new customers. The customer loyalty team offered it to you anyway because they want to retain you as a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

roast wrote: »
    Well I doubt your attitude helped.

Those packages are only for new customers. The customer loyalty team offered it to you anyway because they want to retain you as a customer.

Well it does not say any where on their Site that they are for new Customers ? i cant see it in their C & C. either. so i dont know where your getting they are only for new customers,

My attitude is very kind to the person till she was getting smart with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Finally will be able to get my 100Mb line next week, UPC out digging the ground up get to around the stopper and put the lines through another house.

So should have it installed by the end of the week, At least that's what they are telling me.

It will be good to be apart of the 100Mb club!

Cork24 wrote: »
    Well it does not say any where on their Site that they are for new Customers ? i cant see it in their C & C. either. so i dont know where your getting they are only for new customers,

My attitude is very kind to the person till she was getting smart with me.
    it was actually listed on the packages that the prices were for new customers only, but they appear to have removed it recently. i guess too many people were complaining, but it's a simple process to get the cheaper price by just asking to speak to customer loyalty they will give it to you right away without any issues.

i totally agree about it being wrong that you have to do that, but considering what you are getting and the price you are getting it for, it's hard to argue, even at the higher price when you compare it to the available competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

Might ring UPC in the morning about the 100mb just the thought of having 100mbs it's crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Just installed a new router, the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with the Thomson router/modem combi.

All I had to do was enable upnp on both the Thomson and the router and I get nat type 2 on ps3. Ahwww yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

installers for the 100mb finished off and left my house an hour ago, but still don't have internet yet. how long does it normally take to kick on?

also, does anyone know the ip of the router so I can start messing around with settings so long? I'm assuming blank UN and password like the epc2425?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    installers for the 100mb finished off and left my house an hour ago, but still don't have internet yet. how long does it normally take to kick on?

also, does anyone know the ip of the router so I can start messing around with settings so long? I'm assuming blank UN and password like the epc2425?

username: blank

pass: admin

Advertisement