Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    installers for the 100mb finished off and left my house an hour ago, but still don't have internet yet. how long does it normally take to kick on?

also, does anyone know the ip of the router so I can start messing around with settings so long? I'm assuming blank UN and password like the epc2425?

Takes around 2 hours but can be all day, Really depends on how long it takes to migrate your new mac address on the new modem to the network.

Should have all the normal lights blinking once its connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

For me after they left it only took 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rommy wrote: »
    For me after they left it only took 1 hour.
    think it was about 4-5 hours for mine because someone stuffed up the provisioning, so it does vary considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

It was working immediately for me after he left but he made a series of phone calls to his HQ so I assume it depends on how busy they are there.

I've yet to encounter a wireless disconnect with the Thompson router whereas the Cisco could drop a wireless connection 1 - 5 times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

whereas the Cisco could drop a wireless connection 1 - 5 times a day.

I have this router for approx a week and for the first few days I lost the signal whenever I turned off the laptop or other wireless device. An engineer called out and changed the channel from 'Auto' to '1' and it hasnt happened since.

If the Cisco router is turned off then it will reset to auto when powered back up and the channel has to be manually changed to any number I guess but the engineer said they were told to stick with channel 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have this router for approx a week and for the first few days I lost the signal whenever I turned off the laptop or other wireless device. An engineer called out and changed the channel from 'Auto' to '1' and it hasnt happened since.

If the Cisco router is turned off then it will reset to auto when powered back up and the channel has to be manually changed to any number I guess but the engineer said they were told to stick with channel 1.

For me, using inSSIDer and changing the wireless channel did not change the situation. I even had an engineer come out to me too who did the same thing and it worked for half an hour (after waiting four days for a callout)!
    There were various types of wireless disconnect with the router's wireless light still on but four different wireless devices still unable to pick it up - let alone even see it.
    The most common issue was where the wireless light on the router just turned off and only a hard reset would make it reappear, only for it to go again after a short while.
    Throughout all this I could see all the neighbour's WIFI points so doubtful it was anything but a router issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

I to had wireless problems very similar to Deliverance XXV after a self install i got them to replace the router and ive not had 1 problem yet with new one.its a case of some of the new routers are faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi folks

just a quick one, im an existing NTL customer, i have 12mb BB, digital + and Sly sports.

Id like to take up the 75 offer for 50mb BB and digital max.

Two queries, as an existing customer will they let me move to this and will there be any set up fee or any other monthly cost on top of the 75 apart from my one extra digital tv point.

cheers

You will have to say your thinking about cancelling in order to get the new package generally. Not too sure about installation fees, but since you already have the equipment there may be none. Best thing to do is ring 1908 and ask for customer loyalty, say you're thinking of canceling because you want a better package since you a loyal customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

guys i rang UPC today to upgrade from 20 mb to 50 mb , now the girl i was talking to was a bit clueless (shocker) as to how the whole thing worked , she said i would have to upgrade my router and this applies a once off 80 euro installation fee, is this the norm , i cancelled it as my balls was i giving them money just for buying a product from them which would make them more money in the long run.
    cheers in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

I was charged €20 self install for the 50meg,for UPC to do it,it would have been €40.

thefishone wrote: »
    I was charged €20 self install for the 50meg,for UPC to do it,it would have been €40.
    were did this well clued up person get 80euro from :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

almanu wrote: »
    guys i rang UPC today to upgrade from 20 mb to 50 mb , now the girl i was talking to was a bit clueless (shocker) as to how the whole thing worked , she said i would have to upgrade my router and this applies a once off 80 euro installation fee, is this the norm , i cancelled it as my balls was i giving them money just for buying a product from them which would make them more money in the long run.
    cheers in advance.

Order it online or through the boards deal. Cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

were did this well clued up person get 80euro from :mad:

The only thing I can say,when the 100 meg first came out,it had an €80 install charge,maybe she is still confused.
    My advise would be ring back,the next person will probably give you a different answer.

roast wrote: »
    Order it online or through the boards deal. Cheaper.

linky for the boards deal ? cant seen to find it.

linky for the boards deal ? cant seen to find it.

http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

Finally got moved over to the new network, Which the resulting power levels are fantastic.

Should have the 100MB line sometime in the next few days.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cheers in advance.
    I upgraded to 50mb, HD tv, and a phone last week, self-install, they sent out the HD box, the Thomson router, and a cordless phone all FOC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

Just a quick question. Whats the story with cancelling Eircom? Do i just ring and they cut me off or will upc handle them?

Presume i can keep my phone number too if i switch to upc?

Twig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Anybody here anything updates to the 50/100mb lined in D12 rang up a couple of weeks back and no joying as it had not been upgraded yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

twig wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Whats the story with cancelling Eircom? Do i just ring and they cut me off or will upc handle them?

Twig.

So far as I know, UPC take care of that, but ringing UPC would be advisable to ensure the number is ported and you're not left numberless.

twig wrote: »

Twig.
    you'll need to fill out some forms confirming you want to port the number and send in an eircom bill to upc (afaik, it's been a while since i did it tho, so i might be mis-remembering :)) and they will install the upc phone & broadband and give you a temp number until the porting it complete.

once the porting is done (usually a few days) then you'll know as your new upc phone will ring when someone calls you, instead of your eircom one. :)

mine actually took 73 days after eircom screwed up the porting, but that wasn't upc's faul and was a bit of a freak occurrence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

Speaking of UPC's boards offer, has anyone who signed up received their voucher yet? Still waiting, and it's been over a month (I went for the DID one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Decaydub wrote: »
    Speaking of UPC's boards offer, has anyone who signed up received their voucher yet? Still waiting, and it's been over a month (I went for the DID one).

Got it a week after I got the broadband installed.

aphex™ wrote: »
    Got it a week after I got the broadband installed.

Thanks for the info aphex, now to jump into the customer service mire to get it sorted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Decaydub wrote: »

Yeah my DID voucher came within a couple of weeks as well.

The customer service gods must have heard me - the voucher arrived today :)

My 100Mb line is due for installation tomorrow, Have already tested the line with my friends modem, So everything should go off without a hitch.

Also applied for the Boards offer when i ordered, But apprantly that didn't go through correctly, No biggy though.

Finally going to have the 100Mb line, Must saying its been along wait for me personally, My connection has sucked for the past few months, Then they finally moved me over to the new lines(Damn stopper) Took a 1.5 months. Anyway, Glad that is over with.

They even gave me a 50 euro discount on my bill for the hassle, So must thank them for that aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

You guys that are able to get upc are really lucky, guys like me can only dream :(

• Advertisement

LaVail wrote: »
    You guys that are able to get upc are really lucky, guys like me can only dream :(
    to be fair, there's only a very limited amount of luck in it.

if i chose to live in the countryside for the peace & quiet and all the fresh air etc. but where there was no 100mbps UPC that would be down to me and nobody else.

that said, if you live in a large town or city with UPC TV but no 100mbps then damn those evil UPC lackeys for not getting their fingers out and upgrading your part of the network! :pac:

Advertisement