Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

vibe666 wrote: »
    to be fair, there's only a very limited amount of luck in it.

if i chose to live in the countryside for the peace & quiet and all the fresh air etc. but where there was no 100mbps UPC that would be down to me and nobody else.

that said, if you live in a large town or city with UPC TV but no 100mbps then damn those evil UPC lackeys for not getting their fingers out and upgrading your part of the network! :pac:

I agree, It normally always comes down to location, If there is enough people in the area that want it, They will supply in, Its a business after all. It wouldnt make much sense upgrading all the lines in an area if say two people got it out of the 50 that lived there.

although truth be told, If you live in the middle of no-where, You will more than likely get UPC as its the best for the price no matter where you are. So it shouldn't be a problem for them to assume at least 50% of people will get it it.

P.S Got my 100Mb line just now, The technician knocked on my door and exactly 9:00AM. Have so say the speed is magnificent!!!!

1352561696.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hugorudd

So I just installed my Fibre Power 50mb connection last night and the speedtest speeds I get are wildly fluctuating between 9mb/s and 29mb/s. Does it take time to bed in, or is it just that SpeedTest isn't optimised for very fast connections? Ping has fluctuated from 1419 to 39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Has anyone got UPC to move them from 100mb only to 100mb + phone?
    I have TV also but I'd like to get rid of that too and get the whole bill down to €57. Am I likely to get them to agree to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

vibe666 wrote: »
    to be fair, there's only a very limited amount of luck in it.

if i chose to live in the countryside for the peace & quiet and all the fresh air etc. but where there was no 100mbps UPC that would be down to me and nobody else.

that said, if you live in a large town or city with UPC TV but no 100mbps then damn those evil UPC lackeys for not getting their fingers out and upgrading your part of the network! :pac:

I was born in the countryside, live in the countryside and work in the countryside.

I love the internet a lot and would love upc installed but I dont love it enough to the point where I have to up and move my life somewhere else just to get it :D

I take your point though :)

Okay, Have had the 100Mb line for the day now, But having some small issues.

Speedstest's are fine aslong as i get the right server to test against.

Problem is that if I'm downloading from say a Usenet server(Astraweb) The speed is limited to 50Mb per second.

Here is the kicker, If i try to download something else at the same time, It's like my speed is maxed out. Usenet taking the full amount and everything becomes slower and slower.

Not sure why its happening, I can get full speeds with torrents and heanet ftp downloads.

so not sure why the 20 connections with Usenet = 50Mbps and makes everything else go slower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

Thor wrote: »
    Okay, Have had the 100Mb line for the day now, But having some small issues.

Speedstest's are fine aslong as i get the right server to test against.

Problem is that if I'm downloading from say a Usenet server(Astraweb) The speed is limited to 50Mb per second.

Thor, this may not apply to you but if you are living in the Dublin 8 or 12 area, you will not be able to receive accurate tests etc until tomorrow night as there is a fault at one of the exchanges at dolphins barn

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    Thor, this may not apply to you but if you are living in the Dublin 8 or 12 area, you will not be able to receive accurate tests etc until tomorrow night as there is a fault at one of the exchanges at dolphins barn

In Dublin 14.

Speed is fine on heanet so should be fine, Might be just a router issue i have with who and what I'm downloading from.

Really odd though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

I am getting a bit annoyed with the 100mb line to be honest especially since its been basically down for the past 24 hours. Its fine for browsing but trying to play online games etc and the speed keeps dropping.

I'm not sure if this is significant or not, But i was comparing my router to my friends, Mainly to see the settings he had compared to mine, Because with his modem i had none of these issue.

Anyway, Once i went through everything i noticed something rather odd.

The firmware on both are routers are different. His being much newer than mine. So comparing the dates, You will see just how different.

Mine = Firmware Build Time : 20:46:29 Tue Dec 22 2009

Friends = Firmware Build Time : 14:45:07 Fri Apr 29 2011

So there is no way of knowing if that is causing my problems, But for me to be using firmware that old is just ridiculous.

Can anyone(everyone) check there firmware version aswell. It's under VoIP, Hardware info. Will be interesting to see if anyone else has old firmware aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm not sure if this is significant or not, But i was comparing my router to my friends, Mainly to see the settings he had compared to mine, Because with his modem i had none of these issue.

Anyway, Once i went through everything i noticed something rather odd.

The firmware on both are routers are different. His being much newer than mine. So comparing the dates, You will see just how different.

Mine = Firmware Build Time : 20:46:29 Tue Dec 22 2009

Friends = Firmware Build Time : 14:45:07 Fri Apr 29 2011

So there is no way of knowing if that is causing my problems, But for me to be using firmware that old is just ridiculous.

Can anyone(everyone) check there firmware version aswell. It's under VoIP, Hardware info. Will be interesting to see if anyone else has old firmware aswell.

Firmware Build Time 14:45:07 Fri Apr 29 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

I got my 100 mb installed about a month ago, here is my info

Software Build and Revisions
    Firmware Name TWG870U-BA.01.36-110429-F-1C1.bin
    Firmware Build Time 14:45:07 Fri Apr 29 2011

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

50 meg installed, 4 weeks ago.

TWG870U-B9.01.30-101026-F-1C1.bin
    11:00:14 Tue Oct 26 2010

Seem's there are more than two firmware files floating around, Does anyone know how to update the firmware(if it can be done by the user that is). I'm assuming that's what the usb port is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Antonius.Prime

Seem's there are more than two firmware files floating around, Does anyone know how to update the firmware(if it can be done by the user that is). I'm assuming that's what the usb port is for.

UPC pushes FW updates down as needed. You can call them, get put through to Tech Support, explain the situation and hope they push one down to you.

FW versions also depend on what package you're on. Slower speeds may not need newer updates that allow changes in the sig/noise ratios that higher speeds may or may not need.

Hope that helps. Now to hope UPC actually fix the nationwide speed wobble they're having right now.

In the interest in finding out if the firmware was the problem, This is what i did.

I got my Thomson modem/router and brought it over to my friends house, Who also has 100Mb connection and only live's a few house up the road. I had made sure all are settings on each modem were the same.

So when i get there, I boot his computer up with his modem connected and begin downloading a file from his usenet service(astraweb), The speed is excellent at 12MB per second and still climbing to around 13MB.

So, I pause the download, Disconnect his modem and connect mine. The router then boots up fine and we have an internet connection.

Once connected I hit resume!!!!

This is where the speed problem I was having comes in and the speed doesn't go past 5MB per second.

So it turns out the firmware is infact to blame for this problem.

So i ask anyone out there with the new Thomson modems and who have speed issues to check see what firmware you have. The firmware i have is dated December 2009, Long before UPC even piloted the 100Mb line here.

Just to mention, Before any of this happened, I had rang UPC asking them to advice on the firemware difference and the issue i was having, The guy one the phone from the tech department told me to upgrade the firmware, I replied how, He said he wasn't sure how.

So he said he was going to check on something and find out about the issue and he would ring back in 30 minutes.

2 hours went by and no phone call back, So i rang UPC again, I was put through to a girl and i told her about the other guy not ringing me back, She said hang on and i will put you through to the tech department(I had already been in the tech department, Or so i taught) She came back and said they were a little busy and they would ring me back.

They never did again!!!

Fact is, I have had a **** connection for months, First install of 100Mb line failed because i wasn't moved over to the new line!! It wasn't activated due to a stopper in my line.

Waited another month with the same terrible connection and then finally i was moved over to the new network, Connection was and is great now.

But now this problem has to arise!! The router they supplied has old ass firmware on it and there tech department don't even know how to upgrade the firmware!!

Funny thing is In other UPC countries, The firmware updates are automatic, Yet me and another user have old firmware.

I would have assumed with the 100Mb trial they did, This would have been foreseen and tested.

Anyway, Going to ring them tomorrow and see what the story is but from what i can tell, They are having some bad issues and need to get this sorted soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

My contract with Vodafone is up on the 20th of July and I would like to join UPC. Do I just need to ring Vodafone to tell them I'm leaving, get in contact with UPC, and they will take care of the rest?

I want to keep the number I have now.

Desire. wrote: »
    My contract with Vodafone is up on the 20th of July and I would like to join UPC. Do I just need to ring Vodafone to tell them I'm leaving, get in contact with UPC, and they will take care of the rest?

I want to keep the number I have now.

First you need to ring Vodafone and let them know will be cancelling there service.

Normally its a 30 day notice before you are offically cancelled, So once you ring them, Make sure they are aware you will be porting the number over to UPC.

The ring UPC and tell them what you want and that you are currently with Vodafone and you want to port your number over to them.

All this is on the basis you can in fact get UPC, Best to be sure before cancelling your service with Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Normally its a 30 day notice before you are offically cancelled, So once you ring them, Make sure they are aware you will be porting the number over to UPC.

All this is on the basis you can in fact get UPC, Best to be sure before cancelling your service with Vodafone.

Thanks. What happens since there is less than thirty days left on my contract? Does it make a difference at all?

UPC is available in my area - all speeds. :)

Thanks. What happens since there is less than thirty days left on my contract? Does it make a difference at all?

Yes, You can ring them up now and give your 30 days notice.

Okay, So rang UPC back today to try and get this problem sorted.

I explained to them the test i did and the results that came from it. I was trying to let them know that the only difference between the two different tests was the different firmware revision.

He said for me to run a speed test so he could collect data from my connection.

Anyway, I ran the test and he said he was sending all the information over to the data team to process and that he would ring me back.

So a few minutes go by and then he rings me back. He immediately tells me that the data team said it was definitely not the firmware that was causing the issue as the firmware version i was looking at was for VoIP only.
    That didn't make any sense as it clearly states on the modem that its the over all software version on the main page of the modem/router.

Anyway, He said he was going to check my friends modem to see if there were any difference's but i have yet to hear back from him about that.

I really don't like the fact they ignored the firmware difference, It's truly the only logical explanation for why this could be happening.

I will wait until tomorrow to hear back from him, One other thing that really gets me is there lack of knowledge on how to update the firmware on these boxes.

Fact is that my friends Modem is manufactured December 2010 and it has firmware dated April 29th 2011, Which means at some update it was updated, Yet mine has not been. Which again makes me thing its a firmware issue.

EDIT!!! Forgot to add, At one point he said he changed a few settings on my Modem to see if it made a difference, After the last call with him, I decided to check, As i had all the original settings taken down for when i tested with my friends. All he did was turn everything off!!, Not a single option was selected, He even turned off the firewall(Not even sure it doesn't anything) But my point is that he never turned them back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thor,

Best of luck trying to get to the bottom of the issue, I've been having speed issues for a full 12 months with UPC I'm fed up of ringing them and I reckon they owe me about 100 euros credit due to not providing the service that I pay for (30Mb Broadband max package) during peak times of 6pm to midnight. They keep telling me they can't credit my account until they find and fix the issue which they never have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Don't bother with any notice, just ring them and cancel it then get straight to your bank and cancel the DD...that's what I did, they never followed up on any money owing.....and if you're like I was you were paying way over the odds for the service provided anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dogpile wrote: »
    Don't bother with any notice, just ring them and cancel it then get straight to your bank and cancel the DD...that's what I did, they never followed up on any money owing.....and if you're like I was you were paying way over the odds for the service provided anyway

That really is nonsensical advice and if followed is only inviting trouble.

If you do not give notice then the isp concerned is entitled to go on charging you and you will have no come back. After you complete the first 12 months ofa contract you are on a rolling month's contract with most isps.

Cancel it in writing - its not that hard! Then make sure and cancel your direct debit.

dub45 wrote: »
    That really is nonsensical advice and if followed is only inviting trouble.

If you do not give notice then the isp concerned is entitled to go on charging you and you will have no come back. After you complete the first 12 months ofa contract you are on a rolling month's contract with most isps.

Cancel it in writing - its not that hard! Then make sure and cancel your direct debit.

That's not what I said, I said ring them and tell them to cancel the service then cancel the DD straight away......mine was cut off within a couple of hours of phoning in, I canceled DD the next day........they never followed up on the "30 days notice" payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That's not what I said, I said ring them and tell them to cancel the service then cancel the DD straight away......mine was cut off within a couple of hours of phoning in, I canceled DD the next day........they never followed up on the "30 days notice" payment

So you're advising people to breach their contracts and leave themselves open to legal pursuance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Regardless of if it worked fine for you or not, it's not a good thing to be advising others, just on the off chance that the ISP refuses to cancel, or the cancellation process goes awry (which can certainly happen). You're leaving yourself open to a whole world of sh!t if you cancel your DD and continue to owe UPC money.

Vodafone not UPC...........and they where in breach of contract long before I would have been by offering a below par service for which I overpaid.....you pay a month in advance to begin with and then ask for 30 day notice to cancel, fkc that

do what you want "Desire" it's up to you....it's very easy to check if you've a working service or not after canceling, if it's canceled straight away you can cancel your DD or wait the 30 days, your decision

edit to say, forgot to mention the guy on the phone actually asked did I want the service to run for however many days were left on the thing or cancel straight away.....I chose the latter and canceled payment, no problems

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a reminder as it hasnt been mentioned for a while a direct debit is nothing more than a way to pay a bill thats all. If you cancel a direct debit it it no way cancels your contract or removes the obligation to pay for services.

You cancel a direct debit by informing your bank that you want to cancel it.

In the case of the very inaptly named direct debit "plus" which is the one you sign up for over the phone you should cancel by informing the company as the bank holds no information about these type of direct debits.

The dd system is an appalling one. It is a fact that a cancelled direct debit can be reinstated by a company so even when a direct debit has been cancelled you should always keep an eye on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

dub45 wrote: »

The dd system is an appalling one. It is a fact that a cancelled direct debit can be reinstated by a company so even when a direct debit has been cancelled you should always keep an eye on your account.

The thing to do to prevent this is cancel the mandate rather than just the DD. It's amazing how they can build up on your account eg car insurance, utility bills etc. Aviva got me on that a few years ago, taking money they had no right to. It got resolved in the end but they (and several others) have since been chopped off at source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

is this thread going off topic - given that Vodafone was the ISP in question?

Any news on the firmware update?

Advertisement