Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child Protection

• 09-05-2011 10:53am

Hi I'm looking to starting a kickboxing class in my area, have garda vetting and insurance (it will be in a community centre) but I was just wondering will I need to do a child protection course? The class will be for under 16's.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Hi I'm looking to starting a kickboxing class in my area, have garda vetting and insurance (it will be in a community centre) but I was just wondering will I need to do a child protection course? The class will be for under 16's.
    Thanks in advance.

would be reccomended..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    would be reccomended..

Thanks for replying.
    Would the National Youth Council of Ireland course be enough? There's no training day until October for that, is there any other ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Thanks for replying.
    Would the National Youth Council of Ireland course be enough? There's no training day until October for that, is there any other ones?

If its a child protection course that would be fine, i need to update mine so will be looking around myself, they tend to be put on in GAA clubs regularly, keep your ear to the ground and ya might get 1 sooner..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    If its a child protection course that would be fine, i need to update mine so will be looking around myself, they tend to be put on in GAA clubs regularly, keep your ear to the ground and ya might get 1 sooner..

Let me know if you get anything. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Your local sports partnership should be running them regular as well, also the HSE and councils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

yomchi wrote: »
    Your local sports partnership should be running them regular as well, also the HSE and councils.
    I did a one day course with a catholic youth care a few years back which could be an option as well

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Barry SeanScoil

Hi, If you contact your local youth and community project they may even offer to send you on the HSE, 'KEEPING SAFE' training,(which is the more reconised course available) if what your doing benifits the community.
    Also i would advise on at least 2 instuctors/coachs per class, depending on the ratio of kids to coachs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shotokan 1969

Local Sports Council (LSP) will have a list of courses if it does not suit the Local Sports councils in other counties will allow you to do the course when they are running it, although you might have to pay an extra €20. A list of courses and timetables being run for the next couple of months is set out and posted on each LSP website.

I've done the course and it gives very good advice with regards to treating kids the does and don'ts.
    Plus when you do the course you are put on the LSP Website and its good for promoting your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Local Sports Council (LSP) will have a list of courses if it does not suit the Local Sports councils in other counties will allow you to do the course when they are running it, although you might have to pay an extra €20. A list of courses and timetables being run for the next couple of months is set out and posted on each LSP website.

I've done the course and it gives very good advice with regards to treating kids the does and don'ts.
    Plus when you do the course you are put on the LSP Website and its good for promoting your club.

Just a heads up in case you go googling Local Sports Council, it's Local Sports Partnership - which you were correct in saying LSP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shotokan 1969

Thanks Yomchi for the correction

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions guys will try get on the HSE course as I'm volunteering during the summer anyway :)

Advertisement