Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To iphone or not to iPhone :)

Options
  • 09-05-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

I have an ipod touch which I might as well strap onto my mobile I have it with me all the time, I love my apps, I have a load of music in itunes.

I'll be off contract with Vodafone in June, but am seriously considering breaking it early to take up three's current iphone 4 offer on the €40/pm tariff.

Should I be looking at any other handset or network, or biding my time for something else?

I have DSL broadband wifi at home, though if tethering turns out to be a runner I'll be able to bin my landline when I'm off contract with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

No, don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Yes do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just be aware that 3s network does not work. Go to the 3 forums and see all the complaints for yourself, internet keeps dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Go android instead, you won't regret it :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 barron

It depends what you expect but i think you should be satisfied if you will buy iPhone 4, it's really good phone and music/video player as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Wrighty82

I reckon go for it. To be honest Androids and Iphones are getting more and more alike so you can't lose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tethering on Three is no match for a fixed line in terms of reliability, if you are a light surfer/email etc. you might be OK, but if not, don't budget based on dropping your existing DSL.

If you use the iPod touch that much, I'd say yeah - go for the iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

Im thinking of buyin the iphone next week. is it worth it i wonder all u can eat data but as long u dont go over your units! which one is better the iphone or the android? i was thinking gettin the android for ages but the 3 network is very temptin but then again the iphone 4 is nearly a year old and the new iphone5 is comin out in december so i heard whats the point gettin it now and u cant even change the phone when its on contract for 24 months! my head is wrecked dont know what to get now! :( Help!!

iPhone is rubbish.
    3 is rubbish.

Any further questions?

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    iPhone is rubbish.
    3 is rubbish.

Any further questions?

I wish it was that simple. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 daber

Just hold out an get the Samsung galaxy s 2!!

why is it rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

srsly78 wrote: »
    iPhone is rubbish.
    3 is rubbish.

Any further questions?

The Iphone4 is fine, its a decent phone, its that feckin itunes, worst POS software ever, and Apple make you use it for everything. Then there's the hope all your media is in the format Apple like or itunes won't sync it or you'll need to jailbreak to play it.

so the android is better! i just heard there on the 3 offer there looking for 150 deposit but u get it back though so technically its not free :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

The hardware + os on the newer androids blows the iphone away really, have a mess around with the desire HD in the three shop (can get it with the all you can eat data too) if you like it and can wait, get a galaxy s 2 should be a really great phone. If not then the desire HD is another great phone. I've found 3 to be a good operator so far, my bill never goes over 40 and the all you can eat data is pretty much better then anything else around at this price.

ya im goin to chance my arm next week but if they ask about this 150 deposit it put me off straight away!

yoyo83 wrote: »
    so the android is better! i just heard there on the 3 offer there looking for 150 deposit but u get it back though so technically its not free :(

It was never free, there's a 24 month x €40 commitment, which is fine if you're consistently spending that amount already.

It was never free, there's a 24 month x €40 commitment, which is fine if you're consistently spending that amount already.

True that... theres always a catch

I thought Apple had a lifetime commitment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

is it set in stone that you have to pay 150 euro deposit?

Depends on credit check. Thus depends on whether venus is in-phase or some such voodoo. Having a new bank account is a no-no for example.

ya they have to check the credit check on the account dont think i bother now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I wouldnt call iPhone 4 rubbish :)

But Galaxy S2 would be worth the wait :P Its only around the corner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I wouldnt call iPhone 4 rubbish :)

But Galaxy S2 would be worth the wait :P Its only around the corner :P

what does this galaxy s2 offer that the iphone doesnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have an HTC desire and it really is deadly being able to drag and drop your music and video files onto it and not having to install any software. If you have the itouch and like it, might as well stick with apple. Some people love itunes, I hate it myself. It seems to try and be to clever and do things I don't want it to do. Can't beat drag and drop simple mp3 files and folders.

Although, if I was buying now, I'd wait for a few new phones to come out, like the new galaxy and sensation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Better Hardware. Slimmer Design. Better Camera. Customizable OS. Google Maps Navigation. Choice of More Memory (16GB Min Internal + 32GBB MicroSD)

And hey no iTunes :) As said before. Its just drag and drop which i find to be alot less painful than using iTunes or Zune in my case

Freedom from iTunes.

A 'share' context menu ( how do iPhones function without this....? (rhetorical))

Home screen widgets.

Cloud services, such as contact management.

Flash.

USB hosting.

Drag and drop file management.

etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 niall_f

I would take it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

One thing the iphone doesn't offer is the variety of choices for your next phone. If you go with Apple, you'll have to go with Apple again next time, go with Android you have a choice of many phones by many manufacturers. Apple tend to try to lock you into a lifelong commitment

Advertisement