Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To iphone or not to iPhone :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

That all you can eat data sure is tempting. Even if the iPhone isn't a runner, the other networks aren't even in the same ball park in terms of price plans. Assuming it works, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That all you can eat data sure is tempting. Even if the iPhone isn't a runner, the other networks aren't even in the same ball park in terms of price plans. Assuming it works, of course

Don't assume. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

meteor bill pay smart for the same price 40 a month
    400 mins
    400 txt
    2 gb data
    free meteor to metor calls and txt
    Voice mail free
    Out of bundle costs Cost per min 25c, Cost per text: 10c

3 ireland
    350 flexi units included = 350 mins or 700 txts
    All you can Eat Data
    free 3 to 3
    1 Free† Addon
    Voicemail (per min): 15c
    Out of bundle costs Cost per min: 34c, Cost per text: 17c

so meteor has more mins,
    no charge for voice mail,
    cheaper out of bundle cost.

3 has more data but 90% of users are never even gona go over 1gb a month
    never mind go over 2gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

omega666 wrote: »

3 ireland
    All you can Eat Data
    free 3 to 3
    1 Free† Addon

You've left out one minor detail on the three deal...

... FREE IPHONE !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

... FREE IPHONE !

And 24 months commitment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

that drag and drop function sounds easy and good, iv got an ipod so i know how awkward itunes can be.

when is this galaxy s2 phone out lads and do you know how much it will be?

just a few more questions about the galaxy..

can you get the sky sports news app on it?

can you get the navigation system app for it? il need that for my car in september.

is there a better selection of apps for it or is the iphone the best for apps?

thanks

... FREE IPHONE !

its not a free iphone.
    Its a subsidised iphone that you are paying off in installments.
    The price of the phone is already included into the plan cost.

i.e the same plan the with three ireland is 30 euro a month sim only.
    Your paying an extra 10 euro a month for what?
    Yes that right, for the privilage of getting the phone,
    so the actual cost is 10 x 24 = 240 euro
    That is how much your paying for the phone itself

its not a free iphone.
    Its a subsidised iphone that you are paying off in installments.
    The price of the phone is already included into the plan cost.

i.e the same plan the with three ireland is 30 euro a month sim only.
    Your paying an extra 10 euro a month for what?
    Yes that right, for the privilage of getting the phone,

My point is you were comparing a Meteor 40 quid plan with a Three 40 quid plan without pointing out that the Three plan gives the contract holder an iPhone 4 at no additional cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

And pre-pay, how much is it?
    2.5 times €240

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

... FREE IPHONE !

Do they offer the same deal with a good phone? What if I don't actually feel like selling myself into slavery?

• Advertisement

that drag and drop function sounds easy and good, iv got an ipod so i know how awkward itunes can be.

when is this galaxy s2 phone out lads and do you know how much it will be?

just a few more questions about the galaxy..

can you get the sky sports news app on it?

can you get the navigation system app for it? il need that for my car in september.

is there a better selection of apps for it or is the iphone the best for apps?

thanks

Plenty of Sky sports apps on it. https://market.android.com/search?q=sky+sports&so=1&c=apps. You can search all the apps the online webpage.

Free Google Maps with Street View Navigation come one the phone. Or either way you can install it from the Android Market.

Most apps wouldnt be as high quality as the ones on iPhone. But the majority of the most popular apps are pretty decent.

And best of all it charges via microusb. Proprietary cables are really just not cool in this day and age.

Although it is true that Apple needs to use a special cable because only a reinforced nano-titanium cable can carry the special electricity the iphone needs.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

My gut instinct is saying to hang on for the new iphone. If you sign a contract now and apple bring out a new phone in a month you will be limited to an ultimatly old phone for the rest of the contract!

My point is you were comparing a Meteor 40 quid plan with a Three 40 quid plan without pointing out that the Three plan gives the contract holder an iPhone 4 at no additional cost.

thats a fair enough point

My gut instinct is saying to hang on for the new iphone. If you sign a contract now and apple bring out a new phone in a month you will be limited to an ultimatly old phone for the rest of the contract!

This is very true. If you are unlucky enough to own an older model all your friends will shun you. Better run to the apple store and start queuing straight away!

You can say the same for any type of phone tho, there will always be something better out in the near future.

And pre-pay, how much is it?
    2.5 times €240

Yeah but with pre pay your not suck in a 2 year contract and you can
    By the time your 2 year contract is up the iphone6 will most likely be the current model in use!

Pre pay data is too expensive (on all networks). You really gotta have a contract unfortunately to use a smartphone properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

what does this galaxy s2 offer that the iphone doesnt?

the galaxy s2 has 8 mega pixal, think iphone is less then that i could be wrong?

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

srsly78 wrote: »
    This is very true. If you are unlucky enough to own an older model all your friends will shun you. Better run to the apple store and start queuing straight away!

You can say the same for any type of phone tho, there will always be something better out in the near future.

It's so frustrating when you compare the iphone in Ireland to the US... In the US when a new phone comes out you get the option to upgrade. You can just buy the new one without affecting your contract! That would make too much sense to happen here! Think within the 12month life of a contract they could get you to buy two phones...

You can always just sell the phone after a year...If its a good high quality phone the value wont depreciate and max you'll need to fork out is a 100 quid for a brand new phone in my experience...

I spent a large amount of money on my first smart phone. Since then i sold it and bought a new one. Cost me 80 quid.

If you look at it that way it costs less than actually buying a crappy dumb phone yearly. Makes the network offers look bad too. As im free to change anytime i want.

Also the ability to swap around to any 30 day contract i want every 30 days :)

I can get on Three's Classic Flex Plan for 30 quid instead of 40 a month :)

40 x 24 = 960
    30 x 24 = 720 (i can spend the extra on a new upgrade myself without getting into the contract)

Also id find meteor better for value. They actually have real unlimited calls and texts to meteor. 70% of people i call are on meteor so i barely even use the mints allocated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I've just ordered the SGS II and am itching for it to come. My last Android experience was not 100% (or even 80%) satisfying, however I think there are more options to work round that now. TBH Im at the stage of jailbreaking the iPhone to get what I want, so it seems now might be the time to move. Financially it makes sense to sell the iPhone now, get the best spec'd smartphone on the market before the value of the iPhone 4 heads south.

All that said, the phone I would recommend to those starting out with smartphones would either be a cheap Android, like the Orange SF, or the iPhone4. Can't go wrong with either.

Whatever u do don't start out with a low end Android phone...it just destroys what user experience should be like on Android phones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

400 mins
    400 txt
    2 gb data
    free meteor to metor calls and txt
    Voice mail free
    Out of bundle costs Cost per min 25c, Cost per text: 10c

3 ireland
    All you can Eat Data
    free 3 to 3
    1 Free† Addon

so meteor has more mins,
    no charge for voice mail,
    cheaper out of bundle cost.

3 has more data but 90% of users are never even gona go over 1gb a month
    never mind go over 2gb.

Was in the meteor store today, said I couldnt get free meteor to meteor on the above package with an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Isn't free meteor to meteor only available via an online purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Also the SGS 2 has the best mobile screen avaliable on the mobile market a Super AmoLED screen re-enforced by Gorilla Glass, as a energy saving measure and to make the blacks more black, it actually powers off pixes on the display to show black on them, super sharp image and the gorilla glass is great on my SGS, no scratches after 5 months unprotected in my pocket with keys and change and stuff.

Actually Nexus S has the same screen*

Pretty much everything has hardened glass these days. Them saying "gorilla glass" is just a marketing gimmick.

And I think not all Nexus S have the good screen, there are some variants. But then again, noone can agree what the "best screen" is so...

You are correct however that SGS2 is what everyone should be drooling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

kingaaa wrote: »
    Was in the meteor store today, said I couldnt get free meteor to meteor on the above package with an upgrade?

They told me the same thing, just tell them carphone warehouse offered it to you and they'll crack. I got free meteor to meteor calls and texts and 70 quid off the price of the phone (N8) by doing this. Seriously, just be persistent:pac:

40 x 24 = 960
    30 x 24 = 720 (i can spend the extra on a new upgrade myself without getting into the contract)

I take what you are saying about freedom to move networks on a sim only plan but in fairness you are being selective with the figures. Taking the iPhone 4 16GB as an example the cost on Three is

€40 x 24 = €960 or
    €169 + (€40 x 18) = €889

wheras sim only is

€599 + (€30 x 24) = €1319 or
    €599 + (€30 x 18) = €1139

so you pay at least €250 more than your counterpart on an 18month contract. That's the price of freedom I guess!

I take what you are saying about freedom to move networks on a sim only plan but in fairness you are being selective with the figures. Taking the iPhone 4 16GB as an example the cost on Three is

€40 x 24 = €960 or
    €169 + (€40 x 18) = €889

wheras sim only is

€599 + (€30 x 24) = €1319 or
    €599 + (€30 x 18) = €1139

so you pay at least €250 more than your counterpart on an 18month contract. That's the price of freedom I guess!

Yeah but i only paid a large sum nearly 2 years ago. You can forget the 599 figure.

If you an iPhone user and want to sell your IP4 which you bought on launch last year on launch or xmas you would have lost approx 100-150 of its value.

That leaves you with approx 450E. Now if i didn't sign up to a contract with a phone i should have saved around 100-300 (depending on the plan, offer and network)

So basically you get your money back for the phone. You can spend it and re use it again.

Well thats my approach :) It works well for me ;) As well as your doing good for the environment since your recycling the phone and not just leaving it in the drawer beside the bed :)

• Advertisement

If you really want to get stingy about it you should buy all your phones through your own company, 100% expensable, and you can write off depreciation on assets each year. Not that I know anything about this :whistles:

Advertisement