Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which anti-virus software?

• 09-05-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

hi, i'm fairly computer ignorant but I'm getting pop-ups from norton to renew. Just curious which brand anyone would recommend. My computer is for personal use-bank stuff e-bay etc so volume is pretty low.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I use Microsoft's, its free and is not a headwrecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for ages now with no issues at all. It's free and very useful.

Norton is very pooh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Make sure you use Norton Removal Tool before you install another AV. I'd also recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Anything would be better than Norton, while you decide you can use Microsofts own AV program its free and not too bad.
    Except Webroot, K7, and many other things. Both have terrible scores.

Having said that, some things out there protect better than Norton or at least have better lab results (Kapersky, Avast, G Data, etc). Personally though I hate the Avast UI and find the default habitat of Shouting when it updates the virus database to be extremely irritating.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Norton isin't bad. Always scores fairly high. I wouldn't spend money on an Anti-Virus nowadays though.

Get one of the Free ones and Comodo Firewall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

i'm using kaspersky finding it much better and less envasive than norton, fast too

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Well my two choices would be:

Free: Avast Free

Paid: Norton Internet Security 2011

Avast offeres alot more features than MSE. It's also alot lighter than MSE and other free offerings from what i've seen. MSE is a bit simpler for a novice user though, but that's not to say Avast is complicated. you can configure Avast just how you like.

Now for Norton. I really don't see how alot of people on here still have a problem with Norton. Granted back in 2004-2008 it was heavy and not the best detection rates. But from 2009-present it has consistently scored very high and resouce usage has been the lowest out of alot of the other major paid for solutions. It also requires the least amount of user interection. No annoying popups asking you what to do.

It can be found quite cheap on Amazon if you look around :)

Not easy to use? compared to others like kaspersky etc? It installs without any user interaction at all in less than 2 minutes. Default settings are just fine also. It's set and forget. However the options are there if you want to tweak them.

Constant popups? the only popups I ever got were if something was found or blocked. And even than no action was required by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭pawrick

I use Norton 360 and have done for last few years - it has come on a lot from the first version I used and is as fast as anything else I have used recently if not more so. I can't speak on the tech aspects as to which is better but from user friendliness and speed I found it perfect for me. I imagine the basic Norton anti virus would be similar. I only get pop ups when it is doing the idle time scan

I have used Microsoft on my other laptop almost a year back and I got rid of it as it was so slow in comparison so I put 360 on it too since the license covered 3 pc's.

I've also used free versions of Avast and AVG- didn't like them - can't remember which was which but there were annoying pop ups and weren't as user friendly as Norton. I do remember one of them was especially annoying though.

My brother is trying out the Kaspersky Pure trial and it looks good, fast and easy to use. I might switch to this on renewal.

so basically - I'm happy with Norton but it's very pricy, if you are happy to pay then it looks after everything but Microsoft used with common sense appears from what I've heard to be as good although I did find it very slow to scan.

Once something gets bashed on here it can stay that way for a long time, sometimes unjustifiably. Norton is a strong program.

MSE has being dropping in quality since release. Missed a pretty obvious Virus on my auld Tower the other day. I was to lazy to change it then, must get round to it.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No AV program is going to give you a 100% protection, what you think is obvious is subjective and doesnt reflect on the AV performance.
    Aye, I know this. The only thing I want from an Anti-Virus/spyware is to be told I picked up something, What I picked up was blatantly obvious and only for that I wouldn't have known and not a peep from MSE.

I don't really mind getting Infected to be honest, I have the Re-install discs and program Installers handy so it's not a big thing.

I don't think Hal means it was abvious in that it was sitting on his Desktop or something, but rather that it wasn't some complex stealth rootkit etc.

Yes nothing is perfect when it comes to security. I also have an image of my entire PC ready to go if something happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭kneeelix

Using Eset that past two years. Its absolutely ace. runs in the background, uses bugger all ram, only alerts me when necessary, updates in the background. I completely forget I have antivirus im alerted that infrequently because it just deals with the issues so I dont have to.:D would highly recommend it. theres a free trial too which is definately worth a look.

http://www.eset.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jhud

Aye, I know this. The only thing I want from an Anti-Virus/spyware is to be told I picked up something, What I picked up was blatantly obvious and only for that I wouldn't have known and not a peep from MSE.

I don't really mind getting Infected to be honest, I have the Re-install discs and program Installers handy so it's not a big thing.

There are two types of virus

1 The kind that can destroy your computer which most av's can detect

2 The other is malware. This is a virus but most of the time its one that infects and trys to get you to buy there product to fix your computer disabling your computer in some way and leaving popups all the time.
    These are not detected by most av's and you need other removal tools which if bought give you live protection but not worth the money i think.

The following programs which i use to get rid of the malware are

Malwarebytes
    Superantispyware
    And rkill which has lots of different run applications which stop the malware and other virus detecting it. So it can detect and disable them allowing you to use the likes of malwarebytes and others to complete removal.

Rkill is available from a great website called bleepingcomputer.com

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spokes

Using Eset for over a year and find it very good. Will inform you when updates are available for your operation system.

jhud wrote: »
    There are two types of virus

1 The kind that can destroy your computer which most av's can detect

2 The other is malware. This is a virus but most of the time its one that infects and trys to get you to buy there product to fix your computer disabling your computer in some way and leaving popups all the time.
    These are not detected by most av's and you need other removal tools which if bought give you live protection but not worth the money i think.

The following programs which i use to get rid of the malware are

Malwarebytes
    Superantispyware
    And rkill which has lots of different run applications which stop the malware and other virus detecting it. So it can detect and disable them allowing you to use the likes of malwarebytes and others to complete removal.

Rkill is available from a great website called bleepingcomputer.com

Hope this helps.

What you're refering to is rogue software (Fake AV/maintenance etc)

Malware is a general term for any malicious software (Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, adware etc..

Most AV programs can detect rogue software, some better than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jhud

T0mmyM wrote: »
    What you're refering to is rogue software (Fake AV/maintenance etc)

Malware is a general term for any malicious software (Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, adware etc..

Most AV programs can detect rogue software, some better than others.

Yes my mistake that is what i ment to say fake av not malware.

Advertisement